Marks progress? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #31
country flag flip_fan

flip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marks progress?

This year has turned into a joke, but i am expecting some definate news soon about what's going on and if he will be playing... will post as soon as i get the email.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #32
country flag the_natural

the_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks man.... I guess its possible that he just hasnt wanted to play cos hes such a slow healer and that have to be sure hes 100% recovered and then even stronger in the legs and possibly lighter in the upper body than before. Also maybe they saw no point even trying to play on the hard courts this year (They probably didnt realise that the USTA has really sped the courts and balls up this year), cos they thought hed have to do more running and itd be too much work to try out at the uso since hed probably not be in good enough match playing shape to make the main draw.

Plus if he focusses on the post USO season he has an indoor season, any indoor courts, but the carpets in particular would keep running down to a bare minimum and possibly the reasoning was that he could just focus on his serve in those conditions and slowly build up confidence that way and string a few matches together, rather than playing against guys ranked in the 200s who do get his serve back and force him into rallies possibly injuring himself again??

Just a guess
the_natural is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #33
country flag flip_fan

flip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond reputeflip_fan has a reputation beyond repute

well the 2 weeks after the US Open would be the ideal time to return... the china open and mumbai draws are pretty weak, i dont know his exact protected ranking but if it's around the 100 he'd get in main draw.

No news yet, but it will come shortly.

But i can say i've seen some very recent photo's of mark and he has dropped a large amount of upper body mass. So he's definately in great condition, probably the leanest i've seen in some years. Sorry but i can't post them here.. pm me if you want a look.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #34
country flag Timbo

Timbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond reputeTimbo has a reputation beyond repute

This article tells you all you need to know about how seriously the Scud is taking his comeback. He'd rather wait til late October to play has-beens for a fat cheque than make a proper comeback against serious players. I used to be a huge fan of his...now it's like watching someone make a last grab for cash before slipping off the face of the earth. RIP Scud.

-----------

Australia's Mark Philippoussis, a former US Open and Wimbledon runner-up, will make his return from right knee surgery and a US romance reality series at an over-30 series event, not on the ATP Tour.

The 30-year-old once known as "Scud" for his missile-like serves will play in a Champions Series event October 17-21 in Dallas with retired elite-level stars John McEnroe, Jim Courier and Mats Wilander to be among his rivals.

"It is going to be a special day for me when I finally step back on the court to play competitive tennis again," Philippoussis said.

"It has been quite an adventurous year so far for me and I'm thrilled that it will now feature me playing against some of the greatest names in tennis history."
Timbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #35
country flag flip_fan

exactly tim.. what a piece of shit news this is.

After 9 months waiting this was the last thing i was expecting. i dont see how he could justify this "tournament" over playing a challenger or qualifying. This is a very SOFT move by Mark no doubt motivated by $$. He should be playing right now... why on earth he needs another month is beyond me.

i think i'm too pissed off to say any more at the moment.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #36
country flag flip_fan

okay ive calmed down a bit now. Its still annoying that he's chosen that event to play... but hey if he turns up in Australia fit and healthy next year i'll be happy.

it's hard to understand what is going on at the moment so i guess we just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #37
country flag flip_fan

This is the type of news ive been waiting for... at least it gives us some info on what is going on. Again it's all talk..positive talk, but still I will believe it all when i see it. I really dont like the fact his back has been a problem since July and its still not fully recovered. If anything his back has been the most persistant problem over the last couple of years. Unfortunately making a successful return to the tour might be wishful thinking.. but regardless of what he can achieve it would be nice if he can fight his wait back on tour and retire in a similar fashion to Tim Henman. Really - even if its just one match... to see Mark play close to the level we all know his capable of would be a treat.

Scud desperate to make up for lost time
September 8, 2007
Done with reality TV, Mark Philippoussis has declared his undying love for tennis and says he is desperate to play at next year's Australian Open.

Already he can hear the doubters, but Philippoussis pledged to make a full-scale comeback to the ATP Tour and said his appearance next month at an over-30s tournament in Texas was merely an opportunity to test his level after nine months out recovering from knee surgery.

"I would love to get back and join the boys on the tour," Philippoussis told AAP from his US base in Las Vegas.

"The biggest thing for me is I love the game and I miss the game. I just miss playing it. I just want to get out there and enjoy it."

Turning 31 in November, Philippoussis has not played since tearing the lateral meniscus in his right knee at the Hopman Cup in Perth last December.

Since then, Australians have seen more of Philippoussis on the box starring in the American reality series Age of Love, where women in their 20s - known as the "kittens" - vied with a selection of 40-something "cougars" for the Scud's affection.

The one-time world No.8 has plunged to 457th in the rankings and when he slipped off to San Diego last month for four days with Tennessee cheerleader Amanda Salinas - the program's winner - any chance of a Philippoussis comeback appeared remote.

All things considered, Philippoussis admitted it wasn't unfair for cynics to doubt the seriousness of his latest comeback bid.

"No, it's certainly not unfair," he said.

"But you must understand that everyone has the right to think and say whatever they like and, to me, I know what I'd love to do is in my heart, in my mind and tennis is my life.

"If it wasn't for tennis, I wouldn't be who I am ... so I'm just looking forward to coming back and I believe in what I can do and that's the most important thing."

The former US Open and Wimbledon finalist claimed his appetite for the game was as stronger as ever and that he had sought assistance from Andre Agassi and the American's revered conditioner Gil Rayes in order to get back.

"I love the sport of tennis. I'm always watching it on TV and taping matches - I haven't done that before," Philippoussis said.

"I've been in Vegas out on the court with Andre now and again and in the gym with Gil.

"I've been trying to do everything I can to work hard."

Philippoussis will gauge his form against the likes of retired legends John McEnroe, 48, Mats Wilander, 43, and 37-year-old series promoter Jim Courier at the Stanford Championships in Dallas from October 17-21.

"It's going to be a bit of pressure on me. I can't be losing to these guys," he said.

"But, at the same time, I'm just going to have so much fun."

Philippoussis said he would have returned earlier to try to defend his title in Newport, but he had to turn down a wildcard invitation because of back issues.

"Trust me, even if I was 90 per cent I would've played," he said.

"The knee is 100 per cent and the back is pretty much 70 per cent, 75. Every day it keeps getting better and I have no doubt that in over a month it will be 100 per cent.

"What I'd love is to play a couple of small events until the end of the year and get some match fitness and then concentrate on getting back on the tour at the start of next year, hopefully at the Australian (Open)."

© 2007 AAP

Last edited by flip_fan : 09-08-2007 at 03:35 AM.
flip_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #38
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way he should get a main draw wildcard for the Australian Open. If he's that determined to come back, make him play quallies
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #39
country flag flip_fan

i think he will have to play the aussie Wild Card play-off... although with luczak and chris now inside the 100 he still might get one. He'll also have a protected ranking so it will be interesting to see what that is, i would assume its about 112.

At this point in time Aus open is a long way off for Mark. Let's just see how he goes with the old folks next month and how many "small events" he plays before the end of the year.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #40
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond reputeOZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip_fan View Post
i think he will have to play the aussie Wild Card play-off... although with luczak and chris now inside the 100 he still might get one. He'll also have a protected ranking so it will be interesting to see what that is, i would assume its about 112.

At this point in time Aus open is a long way off for Mark. Let's just see how he goes with the old folks next month and how many "small events" he plays before the end of the year.
My guess is he'll play no 'small events' this year
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #41
country flag flip_fan

Was reported today in vegas that Mark is now fully recovered from all injuries.

Can't wait for Dallas!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #42
country flag flip_fan

not long now.. and Mark is definately playing.

Can't believe it's 10 months since his last match... i'm expecting the older guys to give him heaps trash talk so the pressure will be on to win. He should win... i will be peeved if he doesn't, but still it will be nice to see him back on a court even if it is against seniors.

schedule:
Thu 18 @ 2pm: vs. Mats Wilander
Friday 19 @ 7pm: vs. Wayne Ferreira
Saturday 20 @ 3pm: vs. Todd Martin

some pics from Andre agassi's charity event on the weekend:

Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #43
country flag Eden
Simply the best

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Scud set for solo comeback
By Peta Hellard in Los Angeles
October 11, 2007

MARK Philippoussis is to make his tennis comeback alone next week without his personal cheerleader.
The Scud's reality TV romance with Tennessee cheerleader Amanda Salinas appears to have hit the rocks and the brunette is unlikely to be courtside when he competes at the Stanford Championships in Texas.
Philippoussis's agent Carlos Fleming has refused to comment for the past two weeks about whether the couple - who met on reality dating show Age of Love this year - were still together.
Mr Fleming, who works for international sports agency IMG World, would say only that Philippoussis was concentrating on tennis.
"Mark is focusing on his preparation," Mr Fleming said.
"His progress is coming along well."
Philippoussis, 30, suffered a knee injury during the Hopman Cup in Perth in January.
He emerged victorious from his first match against Dmitry Tursunov, but retired after he tore cartilage in his knee during a match against Jerome Haehnel.
The injury forced him to miss the Australian Open.
Philippoussis's surgeon Merv Cross had estimated a recovery period of four to six weeks after surgery in January but it has taken 10 months for him finally to make a comeback - after he took time out to film the reality show in which he had to choose between women in their 20s and 40s.
Philippoussis is to launch his comeback at the Stanford Championships in Dallas, where he will face top players aged 30 and over in a field that includes Jim Courier, Todd Martin, Wayne Ferreira and John McEnroe.
His first match is against Swede Mats Wilander on Thursday and he could meet Australian tennis great Pat Cash - a close friend - if both make it through to the finals of the round-robin tournament.
Philippoussis said this week that he was hoping to be back in form for the Australian Open in January.
"What I'd love to do is start playing a couple of small events at the end of the year, get match fit and concentrate on getting back next year - hopefully at the Australian Open."
"The most important thing for me is to take it day by day.

I've missed the game. I love the game.

"I would love to get back out there and enjoy myself."
Philippoussis, based in Las Vegas, said he had been training with Andre Agassi and would have returned to competition sooner but had problems with his back.
"I've been training non-stop since the surgery," he said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-10229,00.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #44
country flag the_natural

the_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond reputethe_natural has a reputation beyond repute

Well he lost badly at the over 30s tour
the_natural is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #45
azza

azza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond reputeazza has a reputation beyond repute

results?