Players who Push the Ball - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Players who Push the Ball

So a pusher in this context, is a player who is good and doesn't hit hard but gets the ball in deep consistently with little pace.

Well there are many ways to play against this:

1. Obviously attack but can lead to errors, depends how well you are playing.

2. Go to the net and volley, puts pressure on the pusher and forces them to hit winners which is out of their comfort.

3. Play consistent shots but requires patience and wait for errors.

4. Vary pace and spin, as GlennMiryni said, pushers strive on consistent pace so they can play their game with high consistency. High topspin and low slices will lead the pusher to hit more loose and shorter shots more often.

5. Bring the pusher to net, IMO pushers are decent baseline players, so bringing them to the net may force them out of their comfort zone.

6. Move the pusher around the court, its logical that if you make them run, bad shots will come.

All in all, it depends on how well you play.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
country flag Aerion

Aerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond reputeAerion has a reputation beyond repute

While my husband was returning my harder shots by pushing the ball back, it was then I realized what I had to do.
'I hit a drop shot of sorts.'
Nothing perfect, mind you. But he couldn't get in before the 2nd bounce.

Last edited by Aerion : 08-27-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Aerion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

The dropshot works. I'm a pusher

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #19
country flag trixtah

trixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond reputetrixtah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
Yes they push the ball deep into the court not necessarily short. At least in singles they do.

It seems like you must have a very strong wrist to push the ball.
Is this a shot that is taught by a tennis pro? Is it mainly a double's stroke?
hell no, it takes no strength to push to ball back--they don't care whether it's hard, flat, short, deep, pushers just get the ball back and wait for you to make an error. Don't get pissed off and play them at their own game--always go in with a gameplan, try to execute it, and if it doesn't work then adapt. Thank goodness I haven't seen any of these pussies after I turned 18 and left the juniors. They used to piss me off in high school.
trixtah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a counter puncher, and a pusher is my worst nightmare. They don't give me anything to counter punch. I usually ended up pushing back, which isn't my game and I lose. I'd much rather play an aggressive player who lets me pass them

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #21
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman View Post
I'm a counter puncher, and a pusher is my worst nightmare. They don't give me anything to counter punch. I usually ended up pushing back, which isn't my game and I lose. I'd much rather play an aggressive player who lets me pass them
I know how you feel I am a counter puncher too. With pushers you eiher have to make all of the power which annoys me coz end up hitting an error or I start pushing like them which is not how I play at all just like you said aswell I'd would also rather play against an aggressive player!

BTW, what level of tennis do you play in Oz?

Last edited by baghdatis : 10-08-2007 at 12:45 PM.
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #22
country flag rexman

rexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond reputerexman has a reputation beyond repute

I live in America now actually so. I would be a 4.5 in American ratings if that helps.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Winter_season

Joing FMTA! http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
rexman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #23
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

I use to be a pusher in a sense, but everything you would ahve done to beat me would just have helped me, I was gooood at the net and could hit passing shots, I didnt mind moving,

I always lost to the more aggressive players who could get the ball deep with top spin, it didnt matter where deep, just deep and spin cuz to push those you have to back up and then its much hard to hit a deep shot back as GlennMiryni said, I think thats the most important thing against pushers.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #24
country flag mineralwater

mineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond reputemineralwater has a reputation beyond repute

are bl**dy annoying. They end up winning because they frustrate the hell out of anyone who hits the ball with pace and so that person ends up hitting errors. I agree that variety and spin and staying calm help. I can't play at the moment but when I'm back I'm gonna try this. Too many pushers at my club
mineralwater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
country flag baghdatis

baghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond reputebaghdatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman View Post
I live in America now actually so. I would be a 4.5 in American ratings if that helps.
ok
baghdatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #26
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
I use to be a pusher in a sense, but everything you would ahve done to beat me would just have helped me, I was gooood at the net and could hit passing shots, I didnt mind moving,

I always lost to the more aggressive players who could get the ball deep with top spin, it didnt matter where deep, just deep and spin cuz to push those you have to back up and then its much hard to hit a deep shot back as GlennMiryni said, I think thats the most important thing against pushers.
If you were good at the net but struggled against deep topspin then you weren't using the right tactics. What GM mentioned about mixing it up is right but so are the other things and if deep topspin troubled you then you were bing outpushed.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #27
country flag Medina
Ferrero Tard #12

Medina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond reputeMedina has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit, i push my forehand in occasion in some rallies. The thing that get my off guard is people who hit deep with alot of spin. So use that
#1 Fan Martin Vassallo Arguello

Chela.Mathieu.Montanes.Ferrero.Hartfield
Querrey.Massu.Gaudio.Djokovic.Robredo
Medina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #28
country flag klinsi

klinsi is on a distinguished road

Pushers can drive people crazy, but once you figure out how to beat them, then you will beat them everytime. You just have to be patient and work on constructing the point well each and everytime. The biggest mistake is trying to overpower pushers. That is like digging your own graveyard. Keep this in mind, pushers have lots of limitations, the only good thing they have is pushing the ball...so plan on having long points and be patient...
klinsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #29
country flag Jeff

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

Good dicussion. Well, I lost in the final of a 4.0 tournament to a pusher. I typically get easy points on my serve, but he just pushed those back too, and it frustrated me. And I, too, went for too many winners. His consistently short pushing shots brought me to net almost every point, and I hate the net. But definitely the key is to stay aggressive and play your own game...but not so aggressive that you play outside of yourself and make errors...be patient...and if you are a baseliner, expect and be willing to finish more points off from the net than you are used to. For me, i was so used to playing aggressive baseliners the previous rounds, that I just wasn't prepared for this type of pushing match. It was a final, and I was also neverous...which playing a pusher doesn't help lol. I was beginning to catch on and calm down, but couldn't overcome nerves and lost 7-5 in the second set tiebreak. I'll think of this thread the next time I do play a match like this