News & Articles Part 2 - The Yeti Strikes Back - Page 318 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #4756
country flag Lossi

Lossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marat news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin View Post
Hey, it's not my fault Byron was a weirdo A very talented one, yes. But still a weirdo

kirkicica: Where is the turn on button on Nole?
Mila:
Jess: I know where!
Jess:
kirkicica: Would someone click it please?
Jess: Oh gladly.
kirkicica: Not THAT one.
Lossi is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #4757
country flag Armada~121

Armada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossi View Post
A very talented one, yes. But still a weirdo
Isn't the same description always used to describe Marat?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #4758
country flag Lossi

Lossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
Isn't the same description always used to describe Marat?
Compared to Byron, Marat's a choirboy

Mila:
Jess:
Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #4759
country flag Armada~121

Armada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond reputeArmada~121 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossi View Post
Compared to Byron, Marat's a choirboy
True. That's why he had to go all the way to the Himalayas for an upgrade.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #4760
country flag Joy Mora

Joy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond reputeJoy Mora has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It was just a joke. Doesn't have to be factual. Lots of humour on this forum are not based on all facts anyway.

Well, I know that in reality climbing up Cho Oyu is no joke. But if I were Marat, I'd have done the same thing. Why not? Ok, it's not professional tennis-wise like many have said. But instead of just toiling meaninglessly on the mundane tennis courts for another two months (I think everybody agrees here that he's not going to win every single match and sweep all the titles this fall anyway), Marat is doing something that will contribute to his lifetime experience. Dangerous yes. And it might affect his physique as a tennis player afterwards. But Marat is a person before he's a tennis player. So... I'm happy for him. And this proves to me that Marat is almost by nature a somewhat Byronic figure I always thought he is.
Hey, I'm honestly hoping this will be his Camino de Santiago. But walking 750 km and climbing one of the highest mounts in the world while you have to deal with low pressure, severe climate, chest-high snow is a whole different thing. We're first and foremost worried about the human being Marat Safin and his survival and then about his career (which as some pointed out might be over soon. ) He's lost it completely. There are million other places he could have chosen.
Yesterday I read the journal of people who prepated for 2 years to climb the same mount and it's crazy how many problems they stumbled upon. Then what can we say about Marat who is yes, a professional athlete, but still not prepared a bit for what's coming. So, I can't agree with you that trying to kill himself will "contribute to his lifetime experience".
I'm scared, and I don't even want to imagine what his mother might be going through.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #4761
country flag MarieS

MarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond reputeMarieS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Mora View Post
Yesterday I read the journal of people who prepated for 2 years to climb the same mount and it's crazy how many problems they stumbled upon. Then what can we say about Marat who is yes, a professional athlete, but still not prepared a bit for what's coming. So, I can't agree with you that trying to kill himself will "contribute to his lifetime experience".
I'm scared, and I don't even want to imagine what his mother might be going through.
This is what people are missing IMO...They are somehow equalizing this with someone withdrawing from society and contemplating life. Look, I am sure we all at some point in our lives could see the ridiculousness of a successful, good-looking, popular, multi-millionaire athlete's urgent need of evaluating his life every few years (really, what the fuck is there to think about?)..And I get that after being a fan of Marat for x amount of years maybe we don't see such obvious things as easily. That's beside the point...Why are people failing to see how dangerous and ultimately senseless all this is?
It's just you don't want to have a lot of expectations, because when you start to have a lot of expectations you just end up losing in the third round to God knows who. ~Marat Safin, summarizing his career

No comment:
Mawie: he kinda reminds me of me, he feels obligated to have every sentence be a joke
Maggie Tulliver: and he takes his clothes off when he sees a camera
Maggie Tulliver: it's a little pathetic
Maggie Tulliver: it's like his first reaction
MarieS is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #4762
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyThePenguin View Post
I had this sudden vision while reading that phrase, of marat sitting at base camp, in an apron, heating up the baked beans
Brokeback Mountain comes to my mind

@ your sig, bitch! But I prefer the version of bitchette's sig.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #4763
country flag Lossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieS View Post
This is what people are missing IMO...They are somehow equalizing this with someone withdrawing from society and contemplating life. Look, I am sure we all at some point in our lives could see the ridiculousness of a successful, good-looking, popular, multi-millionaire athlete's urgent need of evaluating his life every few years (really, what the fuck is there to think about?)..And I get that after being a fan of Marat for x amount of years maybe we don't see such obvious things as easily. That's beside the point...Why are people failing to see how dangerous and ultimately senseless all this is?
Because if he dies, he is SO into the HOF

Mila:
Jess:
Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #4764
country flag Armada~121

Dangerous, yes. But senseless? It's none of our business to judge.

He might have lost it, but he's the only one who knows what is happening and what compelled this decision. He has already made the decision and what's done is done. Also, nothing negative has happened yet, so no matter what other expeditors have said, no matter what the stats say, we cannot say that Marat will logically face the same case. My point is that, as long as nothing has happened, this still is all storm in a tea cup. For now, we can just wait and see, and wish him the best.

I still stand by my opinion that such dramatic decision definitely contributes to someone's lifetime experience. Of course this is not a strolling in the park for Marat, and no one is likely to "have a good time" in such brutal conditions. But at least he has broken his own pattern, and I don't think he is ever going to regret it.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #4765
country flag Armada~121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
Brokeback Mountain comes to my mind
To be honest, I was instantly reminded of Brokeback Mountain too. There is no woman in this expedition, is there?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #4766
country flag Lossi

Quote:
Dangerous, yes. But senseless? It's none of our business to judge.
HE'S A COMPLETE AMATEUR TRYING TO CLIMB A FUCKING MOUNTAIN WITH NO PRIOR TRAINING!!!!!!

Seriously, if this was one of my friends, they'd be getting slapped upside the head, maybe it would bring him to his senses

Mila:
Jess:
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #4767
country flag peacechick

peacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond reputepeacechick has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I really can't get that Climb Every Mountain song from the Sound of Music out of my head
peacechick is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4768
country flag Mrs Tommy Haas

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Mora View Post
Hey, I'm honestly hoping this will be his Camino de Santiago. But walking 750 km and climbing one of the highest mounts in the world while you have to deal with low pressure, severe climate, chest-high snow is a whole different thing. We're first and foremost worried about the human being Marat Safin and his survival and then about his career (which as some pointed out might be over soon. ) He's lost it completely. There are million other places he could have chosen.
BIG APPLAUSE!!!!
Mrs Tommy Haas is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #4769
country flag maria_marie

maria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond reputemaria_marie has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope he's gonna stay at the camp at the foot of the mountain and not climb the mountain because he's never done such a thing. In such expeditions rarely do all the members of the group climb the mountain so I hope he has some brain left and decides to stay at the camp to guard the luggage and keep in touch with the civilization
maria_marie is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #4770
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
you guys has remind me one more time why I go to mtf less and less these days
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Addams View Post
Oww, Irochka I don't think he'll retire, I just think he realized the season is more or less compromised anyway and said "Fuck it". It's his style.
Maybe I'll be able to say f*** it to supporting him now.
Yeah right I'll end up crying my eyes out, I've been a total crybaby lately anyway.
MariaV is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread