News & Articles Part 2 - The Yeti Strikes Back - Page 316 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #4726
country flag Mrs Tommy Haas

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marat news and articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armada~121 View Post
It's much different in terms of cultural/historical significance. I don't know if Marat cares about that. But to me, the Himalayas are not just mountains, but it is a place of mythic proportion. I'm not saying that mountains in Canada are not nice or adventurous enough. But I guess the Himalayas are considered almost a sacred place, and going up there is equivalent to a pilgrimage. It's like going to on an expedition in a desert in Arizona and in the Sahara... not the same thing. Although both are deserts.

Of course Marat might just see it as the most challenging adventure. But I doubt that someone like him, with his extensive reading, wouldn't have on his mind at all the cultural significance of the Himalayas. That boy is probably a closeted romantic after all.
Well, it may be spiritual, but a 40 day trekking tour climbing up on 8000 m is not necessary to feel the spirit of Tibet.
Mrs Tommy Haas is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #4727

Mrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Tommy Haas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
I think there no doubt anymore that he's going there all the way.
Even most experienced climbers don't make it up to the summit.
I believe/am convinced that they won't permit him to be part of a "real" climb. There are experienced people in that team.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #4728
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That boy is probably a closeted romantic after all.
sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir View Post
I'm surprised Gab didn't point out yet again that he CANNOT GROW A BEARD
that's a fact
Quote:
My today's google alert:

Marat Safin and Nikolay Davidenko wil be present at the Davis cup tie....
shhhhhhh! don't let Sylar know about his power of ubiquity
Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #4729
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Tommy Haas View Post
Even most experienced climbers don't make it up to the summit.
I believe/am convinced that they won't permit him to be part of a "real" climb. There are experienced people in that team.
you posted this
Quote:
Cho-Oyu is the easiest eight-thousander of Tibet and one of the most easy eight-thousanders in the world. So it`s no wonder, that this summit is one of the most popular and attended among all another summits with altitude above 8000 m.
We recommend ascent to Cho-Oyu for alpinists who have not any axpirience on eight-thousanders. Cho-Oyu is ideal choice for mountaineers ready to test themselves on tibetian giants, because climbing Cho-Oyu is not technical.
I suppose the route is not unreal for a pro athlete.
mer is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #4730

Quote:
you posted this

I suppose the route is not unreal for a pro athlete.
I said "summit".
In mountaineering, doing the mountain does not mean to reach the summit. Only very few people actually go all the way.
Being a pro athlete makes you fit enough and strong enough but you need certain techniques, like stepping on ice, roping bla bla bla, if you want to go all the way.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #4731
country flag amdany

amdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond reputeamdany has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
sure

that's a fact

shhhhhhh! don't let Sylar know about his power of ubiquity

and about the beard, maybe he'll grow a beard like brad Pitt
amdany is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #4732
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said "summit".
In mountaineering, doing the mountain does not mean to reach the summit. Only very few people actually go all the way.
Being a pro athlete makes you fit enough and strong enough but you need certain techniques, like stepping on ice, roping bla bla bla, if you want to go all the way.
according to description in russian there are no technical problems to climb this mountain so I guess no really special techniques are required.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #4733
country flag mer

was it posted already?

Itinerary

Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu and accommodation in hotel.
Day 2-3 Day in Kathmandu, getting group Tibet visa.
Day 4 Drive Kathmandu/Zangmu (2350 m)
Day 5 Drive to Nylam (3750 m)
Day 6 Rest day at Nylam for acclimatization
Day 7 Drive to Tingri (4200 m)
Day 8 Rest day at Tingri for acclimatization
Day 9 Drive to Cho-Oyu BaseCamp (5100 m)
Day 10 Rest day at Cho-Oyu BC
Day 11 Trek to interimediate camp (5400 m)
Day 12 Arrive at Advance base camp (5700 m)
Day 13-35 Preparation for climbing and climbing Mt. Cho-Oyu
Day 36 Trek back to Base Camp
Day 37 Drive back to Kathmandu
Day 38 Day in Kathmandu (reserve day)
Day 39 Departure from Kathmandu
Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #4734
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest he skips day 13-35
Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #4735

Quote:
according to description in russian there are no technical problems to climb this mountain so I guess no really special techniques are required.
that's why it says "advanced, 5000 and 6000ers"...

I found another quote:
http://www.mountainguides.com/cho-oyu.shtml

"Since 1995, 161 climbers have summited Cho Oyu with our teams on the 17 expeditions that we have conducted via the original 1954 route from Tibet. We're proud to have the best climbing record on the mountain. How hard is the summit climb? You need to have solid cramponing skills and be able to rappel with a pack on. You'll be jumaring on fixed ropes. There is a short, steep section of nearly vertical ice on the spectacular ridge between Camp 1 and Camp 2 that requires front-pointing skills. Most importantly, you need good common sense and the ability to learn and adapt."

I think he's cool to go, but honestly, you have to see alpinism in its dimension. I really doubt he'll go all the way up.

Last edited by Mrs Tommy Haas : 09-13-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #4736
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?news=16504
I don't know if this link was posted...there are pics also....

I would love to see that!
rosespower is online now View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #4737
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by safinaferrero View Post
Marat marat maraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat what are you doing?! The Yeti will still be waiting for you after the season
but then it'd be winter and the mountain won't be accessible
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #4738
country flag Lossi

Lossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond reputeLossi has a reputation beyond repute

Coming soon to the Discovery channel, Marat Safin takes us on a special journey...

Can YOU find the Yeti inside YOU?

kirkicica: Where is the turn on button on Nole?
Mila:
Jess: I know where!
Jess:
kirkicica: Would someone click it please?
Jess: Oh gladly.
kirkicica: Not THAT one.
Lossi is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #4739
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls View Post

oh, did I tell you I've got my very own wheeeeeeeesh plonk now
I'd certainly HOPE SO!!! otherwise your place would be a rubbish dump by now!!!

Quote:
It's much different in terms of cultural/historical significance. I don't know if Marat cares about that. But to me, the Himalayas are not just mountains, but it is a place of mythic proportion. I'm not saying that mountains in Canada are not nice or adventurous enough. But I guess the Himalayas are considered almost a sacred place, and going up there is equivalent to a pilgrimage. It's like going to on an expedition in a desert in Arizona and in the Sahara... not the same thing. Although both are deserts.

Of course Marat might just see it as the most challenging adventure. But I doubt that someone like him, with his extensive reading, wouldn't have on his mind at all the cultural significance of the Himalayas. That boy is probably a closeted romantic after all.
but we already knew that

Quote:
My today's google alert:

Marat Safin and Nikolay Davidenko wil be present at the Davis cup tie....

I cannot believe Marat is actually going to risk his limbs and live by going climbing this mountain. I mean you'd have to be totaly naieve to think you could survive a thing like that,being so unexperienced, he would endanger the whole expedition.
I bet this is "much ado about nothing"
Maybe he'll join the expedition for a bit but if he really will go all the way, I very much doubt it. He is not suicidel, is he?
my google alerts gave the mountain climbing site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saumon View Post
I suggest he skips day 13-35

okok..enough arguing back and forth people *glares*

pam and I (or rather, I was just bugging pam in my boredom) came up with a few names for our future saffron robed monk to be..

dalai hippo
davai lama
abominable snowhunk or snowchunk
hiking himalayan hippo

apologies to the real dalai lama

and speaking of llamas... http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #4740
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that's why it says "advanced, 5000 and 6000ers"...

I found another quote:
http://www.mountainguides.com/cho-oyu.shtml

"Since 1995, 161 climbers have summited Cho Oyu with our teams on the 17 expeditions that we have conducted via the original 1954 route from Tibet. We're proud to have the best climbing record on the mountain. How hard is the summit climb? You need to have solid cramponing skills and be able to rappel with a pack on. You'll be jumaring on fixed ropes. There is a short, steep section of nearly vertical ice on the spectacular ridge between Camp 1 and Camp 2 that requires front-pointing skills. Most importantly, you need good common sense and the ability to learn and adapt."

I think he's cool to go, but honestly, you have to see alpinism in its dimension. I really doubt he'll go all the way up.
I understand your concern - but consider this; This is a professional company taking non-professional hikers/climbers up moderately challenging peaks - the techniques required for this are all very basic - cramponing is not hard, and neither is rappel - or abseiling - you can go learn how to abseil in a day.jumaring is the opposite of rappeling(ie going up on ropes rather than down)and is maybe a bit more difficult. Front pointing is just the name of a technique for walking up slopes on crampons one of the easiest and simplest methods to learn - believe me - I learned it on an ice field on a volcano in South America- it's about rhythm. In the days between arrival at the base camp and the actual climb, there will be plenty of practice. This is really not beyond someone who is as fit and strong as Marat - he WILL go to the summit, I feel sure that is why he's there - Marat will not be sitting in base camp waiting for the others to come down...no way! - and as I have already expressed my view I will only repeat - davai Marat - good on ya boy, for making the break and doing something you WANT to do....I am sO happy for him!