Meaning of the word " Choke " - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is choking exagerated?

Yes 11 78.57%
No, vast bulk of the time the term is applied correctly 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #31
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meaning of the word " Choke "

Choke the all purpose word on MTF used by many posters to describe someone who loses a match when they were in no position to win it.

Examples of choking.

2004 Rome: Ginepri leading 7-5 5-0 against Mantilla and was not injured, ended up losing 5-7 7-5 6-0 and lost 5 match points a choke.

2004 Kitzbühel : Andreas Seppi leading a set and having 10 mps against Rainer Schüttler in the 2nd set tiebreaker and losing the breaker and then losing the last set 6-0. That's a choke.

Not losing the toss of a coin or being down 0-15 on the 1st service game.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #32
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

"Choke" is rarely used in this forum, particularly by those whose first language is one other than English.

"Chock" is much more commonly used, and it's meaning can be ambiguous.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #33
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Henman chocked today.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #34
lzhaol

lzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond repute

Player A won the first set.. up a break in the 2nd...
suddenly down a break in the 2nd and actually DF on break point and eventually lost the 2nd
in the 3rd set...same thing happened... DF occasionally on break point down

is this choke???
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 AM   #35
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Now was Mathieu vs Canas a choke or not?

I can identify with the meaning of choke how Scoobs put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobsuk View Post
To choke you actually have to blow the lead by your actions and that does not really apply here. This was Paulo just going nuts in a controlled way and painting the lines for the next 13 games

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 AM   #36
User ID 29337

User ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 29337 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
For some reason people love using this word. Yea, there are times where a player chokes like when serving for the match in a big match and he hits 2 double faults and a couple of unforced errors. That is a choke without a question but when a player is serving for a match and the returner hits 4 winners most people here still called it a choke. That shouldnt be the case sometimes you have to be able to say the other guy is just too good today. If a player is favorite to win a tournament and he loses to some guy who plays the match of his life, well guess what MTF still says choke. Not true. I think many of you people need to learn what a choke is before you start saying every player who loses is a choker.
I agree 100%. Todays seeded losses are examples. If the rest of the tournaments matches are nearly as good, its going to go down as one of the greats.
User ID 29337 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 AM   #37
country flag ChinoRios4Ever

ChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond repute

Cañas remembered the past today

TT Rankings: #62 (S) & #92 (D).
Results Singles: W Auckland 09, Washington 09, Acapulco 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 10 & Fürth CH 08, F Bucharest 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 11 & Bucaramanga CH 09.
Results Doubles: W Bogota CH 08 (w/ClaudiuS), F Acapulco 09 (w/lucho_coria), Bucaramanga CH 09 (w/Gallina), ROLAND GARROS 09, Los Angeles 09 (w/juakos17) & Sunrise CH 10 (w/hallso).
ChinoRios4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:21 AM   #38
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Canas didn't choke, he eased off a bit and expected Mathieu to keep making errors, but it didn't happen.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #39
country flag ReturnWinner

ReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond repute

not a full choke as Mathieu played great but still one.Cañas helped Mathieu for his comeback a little for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Du Rieux View Post
Canas didn't choke, he eased off a bit and expected Mathieu to keep making errors, but it didn't happen.
ReturnWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #40
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnWinner View Post
not a full choke as Mathieu played great but still one.Cañas helped Mathieu for his comeback a little for sure
Not a choke at all.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 AM   #41
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

IL, is still right when he says in the OP.

This is an example of a choke and proper one.

Calleri vs. Koubek in Sopot. Calleri lead 6-0 4-0 and then had a 5-3 lead in the 3rd set but lost the match 0-6 7-6 7-5.

Calleri served for the match 3 times and had 5 match points and served a double fault on one of them, this is what classifies as a choke.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #42

ReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond reputeReturnWinner has a reputation beyond repute

yes a little ,but just in the some games of the second set , cañas hit some dfs and ues and missed a lots of first serves of course that increased Mathieu confidence ,

since the end of the second set untill the end not choke at all

but when u had such an advantage and u wasted it then is clear u had some fault in that
Quote:
Not a choke at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #43
country flag Rumour

Rumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond reputeRumour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexman View Post
A choke is when one player is poised for victory, and loses it on account of their own poor play. Whether is be double faults, can't get a first serve in, making unforced errors that they normally don't, or not going for their shots.
[...]
To me, there has to be no or little clear improvement in their opponents play for it to be deemed a choke.
Agree completely with this assessment - there's a clear difference between actively losing a match from ahead and being beaten by a trailing player who finally steps up his or her game.

The only thing you owe the public is a good performance.
Humphrey Bogart [1899-1957]
Rumour is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #44
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnWinner View Post
yes a little ,but just in the some games of the second set , cañas hit some dfs and ues and missed a lots of first serves of course that increased Mathieu confidence ,

since the end of the second set untill the end not choke at all

but when u had such an advantage and u wasted it then is clear u had some fault in that
It's not a choke, when you are getting outplayed. Canas had a mental lapse and wasn't as focused as he should have been to put Mathieu away, this is not choking.

Mathieu once he got the frustration out of his system concentrated better, fought hard and started hitting winners. The momentum shifted and Canas couldn't stop it.

I have given a clear example of what a choke is and do you want another example of what a proper choke is, and we aren't going to get anywhere on this one.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 AM   #45

no no full choke of course , but he had some bad play in the next games after wasted that bp in 40 as i told, its for that i say cañas choked a little, once mathieu evened in 4 the second set then he had the moment with him and outplayed cañas
Quote:
It's not a choke, when you are getting outplayed. Canas had a mental lapse and wasn't as focused as he should have been to put Mathieu away, this is not choking.

Mathieu once he got the frustration out of his system concentrated better, fought hard and started hitting winners. The momentum shifted and Canas couldn't stop it.

I have given a clear example of what a choke is and do you want another example of what a proper choke is, and we aren't going to get anywhere on this one.