Rooting for James during the US Open 2007 thread! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Rooting for James during the US Open 2007 thread!

LA Countrywide Classic

James def Lee 6-3 4-6 6-3 in a surprisingly good semifinal today. Lee's a tough customer, but James helped him out by gifting him that second set break in the very first game.

Good luck to James in final. I hope Kiefer takes thunder lips out in the other semi.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 08-29-2007 at 05:48 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rooting for James in the US Summer Hardcourt 2007 thread!

why do American on MTF hate james this forum is dead.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rooting for James in the Summer Hardcourt 2007 thread!

This forum isn't half as dead as Ivan's. If Ivan's were busy you wouldn't have time to troll all the other forums.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 07-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
This forum isn't half as dead as Ivan's. If Ivan's were busy you wouldn't have time to troll all the other forums.
we got 900 more posts and its active everyday
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Last dance, Andy

So thunder lips gets a walkover into the final courtesy of another Kiwi injury

Good luck to James in the final Mr Brad Pitt hasn't beaten him since 2003 so I expect more of the same today.

edit
James actually saved 3 BPs in the first set

edit again
A lot of good that did, he ended up losing the TB

Vamos James, forget it and take the next two sets

edit
Pfft. As soon as I said James hasn't lost to him since 2003 he was doomed. What a shame that James allowed himself to get done in by Stepanek's gamesmanship.

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 07-22-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
country flag Jlee

Jlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond reputeJlee has a reputation beyond repute

He's pretty much out of the top ten now, isn't he? Within the next few weeks he should be. He has to win Indy just to defend points (that's not looking likely) and he did decently at the other USO Series tourneys last year and obviously at the Open reaching the quarters. If he doesn't have a top 8 seeding at the Open, it's highly unlikely he'll get to the quarters there again.

He pretty much has a ton of points to defend for the rest of the year, doesn't he? He did so well at the Masters, but may not even qualify this year
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
country flag goodwoman

goodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the final again Stepanek yesterday, but judging from the comments about it, it wasn't pretty. I can't comment about the sportsmanship issues with Stepanek because I didn't see it, but I did see some of JB's match against Lee the day before. I'm worried, because he doesn't seem to be improving, and I see some backsliding. When James was playing at his best, he played his go for broke game, but it was tempered somewhat with a little more stategy, more defense, and a lot more patience. He still has spectacular shots, and I love his all-out style, but to win at this level, it seems like he needs to go back to the way he was playing a year or so ago. Tennis is such a mental game, and it seems that when James is angry his patience is gone. I hope he can learn to temper his anger, whether it's caused by a bad call, or by an opponent's mental tactics or whatever, and get some patience back. He's got so much talent, and he works his butt off. He is so close to making those few adjustments necessary to get those points needed to win more consistently. He's still a spectacular player, but he is at his best when he has more patience and plays a little more defensively. I'm looking to see it in the tournaments coming up.
goodwoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

goodwoman, did you hear what Pam Shriver reported during, I think, James's match against Spadea? How she spoke to Mark Merklein and asked him about James's mental struggles and that Merklein said that it is basically a taboo subject in his team? that it's not talked about and not worked on and that they basically tiptoe around the whole subject?....... that says quite a lot and is quite worrying to me. If they don't address the problem head on and at LEAST recognize it if not try to do something about it, this will keep happening over and over and over and it will certainly never permanently get better. I was so shocked when I heard Pam say this that I almost fell off the couch. He's an elite athlete and is ignoring the biggest problem in his game AND so is his team - unbelievable, shocking, troubling, and very disappointing.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
country flag goodwoman

goodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond reputegoodwoman has a reputation beyond repute

No, Deb, I hadn't heard that. If Pam Shriver is reporting this accurately....wow, that is hard to believe. I mean, I know how hard it is with guys sometimes -- -- y'know, to talk about mental stuff. But to have to constantly tiptoe around it and flat-out make it taboo....wow. That is really disappointing, because James needs to improve there. It's all part of the game, and it should be just as important to work on it as say, a backhand or serve. I remember James joking around and saying something about how it would be silly to see a sports psychologist because there would be WAY too much to work on. But, EVERYONE could improve by working on their mental game as well as their physical game.
wow. If this is true...wow.
goodwoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Pam Shriver is hardly a great commentator, but it seems something awfully extreme to make up. And she was pretty clear with the way she said it, that this was what Merklein told her, not that she extrapolated something he said to mean this. So I'm going to assume it's probably true to at least some extent And yeah, I could not really believe it. Not even really sure what else to say about it lol

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rooting for James in the US Summer Hardcourt 2007 thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamos Ljubo! View Post
why do American on MTF hate james this forum is dead.
Why the need for a question like this? Some of us still enjoy tennis and watching certain players but I feel the need to be a cheerleader less and less these days. Never really enjoyed posting on player forums. Same old stuff getting hashed. Doesn't mean anything. I am still a James fan for the time being
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Last dance, Andy

Blake's book report
by: Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com
Monday, July 23, 2007

The USTA is busy billing the summer fare bundled together under the banner of the U.S. Open Series as the "Greatest Road Trip in Sports", but there's a real chance that like so many art-house road movies, the journey leads nowhere for one or more of the lead actors. That was the case for James Blake Sunday at the Countrywide Classic, where he lost in the final to Radek Stepanek.

Radek who? Yeah, that's the problem. You have to go pretty deep into the tennis culture to get some name recognition there, and even then the correct "Jeopardy" question to the answer, "Who is Radek Stepanek?" is likely to be: "He was Martina Hingis' main squeeze during the 2007 tennis season and a player famous for doing "The Worm" when he scored a good tennis win, which was not that often."

But you have to hand it to Radek -- he Step-aneked right in and took something that Blake sorely needed to get his campaign for the U.S. Open rolling: the title in a pretty big American hard-court event. Blake, as you may know, recently published an autobiography, "Breaking Back", which debuted at No. 22 on the New York Times hardcover non-fiction best-seller list. But unless he's more interested in the Pulitzer Prize than hard-earned prize-money these days, he had better drop everything else and focus, focus, focus on the game.

Stepanek got to the final the easy way, when his semifinal opponent, Nicolas Kiefer, withdrew. He came into the final with a paltry 13-15 record, and is in recovery from a dislocated disk that temporarily left him without the use of his left arm last year. Stepanek's struggles are something with which Blake can sympathize; in 2004, Blake fractured vertebrae in his neck and missed two months, and also came down with a form of Shingles called Zoster.

This result had to be a little spooky for Blake, in the same way that it's disconcerting to see your ex walking down the street with a new guy or gal. Blake is now in danger of being written off as a mercurial player who doesn't have the staying power to establish himself in the top 10 and stay there. The Countrywide tournament was a choice opportunity: Blake was playing before a home crowd in Los Angeles, needing to make a statement, and at the center of attention because of his recently published book. With all that in play, Stepanek was in as much of a must-win as a can-win match, yet Blake couldn't close the deal -- he went down in three despite having three set points in the first.

The emerging book on Blake is that if you can contain him and weather his flashes of brilliance, you can outlast him -- especially if you can slow down the pace and tempo of the match. The pressure continues to build on Blake to get his game together and write a fairy-tale end to his disappointing year.

Mugs Tennis Forums
Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #14
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

He beat Johansson 7-5,7-6(11-9)
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
MrJ

MrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond reputeMrJ has a reputation beyond repute

He hanging on to his top 10 ranking by a thread and he will need a couple of big results in the 2 masters events to hold his place. Even that might not be enough if he doesnt defend his US Open points.
It just goes to show how poor the rest of the players are when James can stay in the top 10 with such terrible results.
I have a feeling he will actually have a good hardcourt season as no one is expecting him to do anything. He seems to play so much better when the pressure is off.

Defending his title will be a good start.

JAMES BLAKE Mikhail Youzhny Sebastien Grosjean GUGA Mario Ancic Marcos Baghdatis
MrJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote