Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

A great album which feels like a harking back to many sounds from from previous albums, especially Awake and Octavarium. The Dark Eternal Night is the stand out track here in my opinion.

Don't know if there are any DT fans here...

I know there are plenty of haters but dynamic music wins.

DT
MatchFederer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
country flag fenomeno2111

fenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond reputefenomeno2111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

I used to listen to them and I still do sometimes, I have 3 of their albums and they are all great but I'm not a big fan. They are good musicians but I feel their music sometimes is just too much and it gets annoying...

Definitely will give this one a try after I borrow it from one of my friends!
fenomeno2111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Dream Theater is just a shallow try to bring jazz fusion to metal. It's too pretentious.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Uhm... I used to like DT some ten years ago, but I lost track after that 'Train of Thought' album of theirs, which I thought was awful.

I've heard a lot of good things about their latest, so I might give it a try again.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #5

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Dream Theater is just a shallow try to bring jazz fusion to metal. It's too pretentious.
Just No. This is a complete misconception about DT in my opinion from a lot of people. Also your analysis of what they are trying to be is way off base.. they are a hybrid of many more styles than merely jazz fusion and metal. To understand DT one really in my opinion needs to listen to every single one of their albums and also to read the lyrics. Often their long progressive instrumental sections serve very specific purposes.

Quote:
Uhm... I used to like DT some ten years ago, but I lost track after that 'Train of Thought' album of theirs, which I thought was awful.
I think Train of Thought is one of their best albums. The musicianship shown in that album, especially from Portnoy and Petrucci, is simply remarkable. The pulses and cross rhythm madness is music to my ears, as well as the customary epic choruses. Is it the how heavy the album is that you don't like? If so, falling into Infinity is a much lighter album with some beautiful ballads. However out of all of their albums that one for me is the most stripped of musicality and I hear they were forced down certain avenues by their label at the time. The other albums therefore are more true representations of DT. Do you like Metropolis P.t 2 Scenes from a Memory? You might remember that it was a concept album.. a rock opera.

Quote:
I've heard a lot of good things about their latest, so I might give it a try again.
I very much like the new album. I will just list a couple of details about it.
  • It is quite a heavy and dark album with often slow moving and meandering harmony.
  • It has a couple of more accessible more mainstream tracks on it
  • There are specific influences that DT wear on their sleeves in this album.. such as Evanescence ( ), Muse and Metallica.
  • null
  • null
    1. null
    2. null
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

In fact, I'm playing it RIGHT NOW.
And yes... it IS pretty impressive, might well be the best album of theirs I've heard in years!

The reviews on Progarchives are very positive, too. Good for them lads!

Anathema

Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #7

You might really enjoy Octavarium, which was released in 2005. It has a song on it called Octavarium which is considered by many fans to be DT's ultimate masterpiece. It is is less dark than Systematic Chaos. I prefer Systematic Chaos as an album but for me it does not have anything that reaches the peak of the Octavariums title track.

Also... just in case you didn't know. In the Presence of Enemies Pt.1 and 2 from Systematic Chaos, form one whole song. I recommend listening to those two tracks one after the other if indeed you have not already done so.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 AM   #8

Anyway... that was a beautiful musical coincidence.

I am glad you are enjoying the new music ClayBuster, maybe I will start a J.M.Jarre appreciation thread at some point. Do you like his music too?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post
Anyway... that was a beautiful musical coincidence.

I am glad you are enjoying the new music ClayBuster, maybe I will start a J.M.Jarre appreciation thread at some point. Do you like his music too?

Oh yes, I do!

Heheh... I might reveal myself as a genuine OLD HIPPIE, here.
My current favs are Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the like - and from the 'Days of Old', I very much enjoy King Crimson, Yes, Genesis (WITH Peter Gabriel, of course! ), Van Der Graaf Generator, Grobschnitt and such.

So much lovely music... so little time to enjoy them all.
But yeah, I visit concerts as often as I am able - preferably the little club ones. And I'm the manager of quite a few bands as well, heh!

EDIT: Oops. I forgot one me FAVS of ALL TIME: RUSH!!!
They're visiting my country coming October, guess where I'll be!

Anathema

Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
Oh yes, I do!

Heheh... I might reveal myself as a genuine OLD HIPPIE, here.
My current favs are Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the like - and from the 'Days of Old', I very much enjoy King Crimson, Yes, Genesis (WITH Peter Gabriel, of course! ), Van Der Graaf Generator, Grobschnitt and such.

So much lovely music... so little time to enjoy them all.
But yeah, I visit concerts as often as I am able - preferably the little club ones. And I'm the manager of quite a few bands as well, heh!

EDIT: Oops. I forgot one me FAVS of ALL TIME: RUSH!!!
They're visiting my country coming October, guess where I'll be!
The parts of the quote I have put in bold represent the groups that i have heard substantial amounts of. I like all those names, especially King Crimson and Rush (which you may be able to hear influences of in Systematic Chaos).

I am a mere 21 years of age and so my musical journeys are only just beginning.

But really I listen to so much. Vengelis, Tangerine Dream, Jarre are amongst my faves. I like a lot of music that has been created over the last 10 or 15 years, especially from the likes of Dream Theater and Radiohead. I listen to a lot of metal and rock in general actually.

But actually right now I am listening to either Dream Theater, Bartok or Rachmaninoff.

edit: You are a manager of some bands huh.. very cool

You are going to see Rush.. that is simply awesome.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
Anathemaniac

Quote:
The parts of the quote I have put in bold represent the groups that i have heard substantial amounts of. I like all those names, especially King Crimson and Rush (which you may be able to hear influences of in Systematic Chaos).

I am a mere 21 years of age and so my musical journeys are only just beginning.

But really I listen to so much. Vengelis, Tangerine Dream, Jarre are amongst my faves. I like a lot of music that has been created over the last 10 or 15 years, especially from the likes of Dream Theater and Radiohead. I listen to a lot of metal and rock in general actually.

But actually right now I am listening to either Dream Theater, Bartok or Rachmaninoff.

edit: You are a manager of some bands huh.. very cool

You are going to see Rush.. that is simply awesome.
WOW, dear, so you are truly YOUNG, but being able to appreciate the true giants of this genre! I bow to ye, dear!!!

All the ones you mention are among my favs, too. Radiohead!!!

Yeah, Rush is my all-time fav band. I even crossed the Atlantic quite a few times to be able to see them play live... I'm so happy that they'll be hitting Europe again, this Autumn...
I am in awe. 'Xanadu' LIVE!!! can't wait to see and hear it again!

Hey, do check out Porcupine Tree - I have this sort of a suspicion you'll like them, too!

Anathema

Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #12

I will look further into Porcupine Tree for sure.

I hope you enjoyed day 1 of Wimbledon!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I will look further into Porcupine Tree for sure.

I hope you enjoyed day 1 of Wimbledon!
I actually missed Rafa's match of yesterday - because I had to leave here early to be in time for a... Porcupine Tree concert! (De Effenaar, Eindhoven, The Netherlands).

Chances are quite big that I'll be missing his next match too, as I'll be in the Milky Way in Amsterdam tomorrow for... quess what.

But yes, I am enjoying Wimbly so far - as long as all my favs do well I'm a happy person!

Anathema

Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
country flag Ferrero Forever

Ferrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond reputeFerrero Forever has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh a Dream Theatre thread. These guys are so talented. I haven't got Systematic Chaos, but I love Scenes From A Memory, Awake, Images and Words and Octavarium. The song 'Finally Free' is mindblowing, as is most of their other songs. I think they're a band that takes somebody who's educated about music to appreciate.

Juan Monaco, Tommy Robredo, Fernando Gonzalez, Juan Martin Del Potro, David Ferrer, Guillermo Garcia Lopez, Juan Ignatio Chela, Fernando Verdasco, Carlos Moya, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Lucas Arnold Ker, Nicolas Lapentti
Ferrero Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote