Returning to the scene of his greatest triumph Roland Garros thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #31
country flag arzu8

arzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond reputearzu8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the scene of his greatest triumph Roland Garros thread

Here is Gaston's interview, from after the match today (it is posted on the RG website):

Q. Where do you think things went away from you in that match?

GASTON GAUDIO: When I was two sets to love, and I think it was 1‑1, and he break my serve. But I was serving pretty good until that time. And actually, I don't know what happened with my serve. He break my serve, and after that I couldn't play anymore, I guess.

Q. Did you start to lose your belief?

GASTON GAUDIO: I start to lose my confidence with my serve, and it's pretty tough to play against him, you know, without winning some points with the serve. So after that it was a little bit complicated.

Q. Was it a frustrating experience for you?

GASTON GAUDIO: I'm used to it. (Laughing).

Q. Gaston, four years ago or two years ago you win here. The guy that you beat is not here anymore. How do you feel about Coria, Guillermo? Do you think he's going to come back? And do you feel sad he's having problems right now?

GASTON GAUDIO: I don't know. It's going to be pretty tough to get back. I don't know what the ranking of him now, but he must fight a lot to come back.

Actually, the tennis that he's got is unbelievable. He's a great player. So if he wants to be back, he's going to be here. But it's not going to be easy for him.

Q. Do you know very much about his status, how he's doing right now?

GASTON GAUDIO: No, no idea.

Q. You haven't practiced or seen him lately?

GASTON GAUDIO: No, I haven't seen him.

Q. When you won here, it was a great achievement. Has it, in some way, sort of been a shadow on what you've done since?

GASTON GAUDIO: Of course. After I won, I was playing pretty good, too. You know, in 2005, then I tried to, you know, get tired a little bit in 2006. And then after that ‑‑ well, actually everybody knows this year is one of the worst in my entire career, so...

So we'll see what happens. I don't know. I can't turn over, you know.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish, please.

Q. So Gaston, what were your feelings after leaving the court?

GASTON GAUDIO: I think that I've played quite well, on the whole. I was leading two sets to Love, and I made some mistakes and errors. And he made most of these errors, and he played very well, and then I wasn't retired. And at the end, I couldn't control the match anymore.

Q. So there was a foot fault, and it was where the light had been put out?

GASTON GAUDIO: Of course. Had some problems with my serve and my serve was a little bit scratchy, and things got complicated for me, I would say.

Having said that, in the third set, I continued to fight on. And in fourth set, I mean, I continued to ‑‑ I mean, I continued to fight on again, but he was a better player than me. We were 30‑30, and he was able to score points. It was tough. It was very hard. But I would say he was better than me today.

Q. If you had won this match in the same way you've won the first two sets, I mean would it have been possible for you to win the match?

GASTON GAUDIO: If you play well, you can have a lot of confidence, in fact. It would have been very positive for me to have won the match, because you get some confidence when you win matches. But I couldn't control the match. It slipped from my fingers.

Q. In the fifth set, there was a change. We are under the impression that you would be able to hang on, but what happened?

GASTON GAUDIO: It is true that I fought very hard. Even in the fifth set I can tell you that I pulled out all the stops to get out of this tricky situation. It's not only in the fifth set that I was fighting. I was trying to be in the match. And in the fifth set, he served very well. I mean, his serve was very fast. It was impressive, so I couldn't return very well.

Q. You seem to be quite cool after this defeat, you are not disappointed? How do you feel about this defeat?

GASTON GAUDIO: I feel a little bit better, I would say. I just lost, so I'm a little bit angry or cross. But I don't know what to tell you about it. I'm relatively confident with my game. I'm quite happy with my game, but there is a downside because I lost in the second round. I mean, I lost in the quarterfinals, so it's a kind of ambivalent feeling.

Q. You are someone who can get good feelings?

GASTON GAUDIO: Of course. I felt the ball quite well today.

Q. So there is light at the end of the tunnel, this is what I can see in your eyes. What is the future?

GASTON GAUDIO: I mean, I'm quite hopeful because today I felt the ball quite well. It's true that I've just lost. I'm a little bit angry because I've lost the match. It's very difficult to reflect on that defeat. But I would say that in general. I've lost in the second round, but I'm disappointed because I've lost, that's all.

Q. Do you have a lot of things to give on the court? The fact that you've lost a match, is it a problem to you? Maybe it's a little bit difficult to hang on for hours? It wasn't too easy for you to concentrate on that?

GASTON GAUDIO: Yes. I haven't played at such a level for quite a long time, and I would say that my concentration flagged a little bit. Over the past two months, I haven't played in a long match. It is important to remain focused. It is not easy to go the long haul in a match such as today.

Q. What about Lleyton Hewitt's game? Were you struck by something?

GASTON GAUDIO: By the serve. His serve was really impressive and awesome. With his serve he was able to take the lead in the match.

Q. What about the future? How do you envision the future for Hewitt?

GASTON GAUDIO: Some people think that Hewitt could compete with Nadal. It would be very complicated to beat Nadal. He has to reach another stage. But it won't be an easy match should he play against Rafael Nadal.

Q. What about your schedule now? Will you go back to Buenos Aires?

GASTON GAUDIO: No. I don't know. I don't know what I'm going to do. No idea at all.

Q. Are you going to continue playing until the end of the year?

GASTON GAUDIO: Maybe, maybe. Frankly, I don't know. I mean, I haven't reflected on that. I don't know what I'm going to do, in fact.
arzu8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #32
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the match and I enjoyed watching it and Hewitt winning was the deserved result and good that Gaston showed what he was capable of for 2 sets.

The main differences were that Hewitt was match tough, something Gaudio wasn't and he needs to play a lot to get into form and it doesn't help with all those losses previously. Hewitt's level throughout the match was very good and once he started serving better in the 3rd then he was able to get control of the rallies and as Hewitt's serve got better, Gaudio's regressed and the second serve of his has always been a problem and the footfaultitis was back again. Gaudio should never be serving 14 doublefaults, but Hewitt's play pressured him into the errors.

You knew once it went into the 5th, that Hewitt was going to win, one of the best 5th set players against one of the worst. It's always easy to move well when confident, but towards the end Gaston was very heavy legged it was like he was running in quicksand.

Hewitt's serving kept him in the match and it was good to see this match played in good spirits.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #33
country flag wenty

wenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond reputewenty has a reputation beyond repute

Gaudio doesn't sound very confident about where he's gonna go from here...that's not good I'm glad to hear that Gaudio played well in the 1st two sets, but too bad he couldnt keep it up in the 3rd. to Gaudio for fighting well.
wenty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #34
country flag sonatinca

sonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond repute

Well, what can I say... Unfortunatelly I was at work and couldnt watch the match, but my friends were calling me all the time throught it and especially throught first two sets and telling me everything happened. And first two sets gave a lot of hope, but then everything ruined. I couldnt see the match, but with the score I was sure that Gastón was fighting till the end. Though when he lost I felt myself terrible. Not because of his loss, but I was affraid he would start blame himself in everything like he used to. But after reading press conference I felt myself much better. You know Gastón said in interview after his first round match that not everything depends on result that he can loose but be satisfied with his game or he can win and feel nothing, so I hope it's the first variant. I hope he will find the way out and we all will see him winning and happy again!
It's written in Olé that he wont play Wimbledon but will come back for clay. But I havent found it in Gastón's words so maybe it's not for sure.

December 1-3, 2006 Moscow - A fairy tale I'll never forget

~*~Also the Proud Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society~*~

¡SOY UN PUMA!

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today. - James Dean

sonatinca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #35
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

No need for him to play the grass events.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #36
country flag taysbest

taysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond reputetaysbest has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the grass won't boost his confidence much.
I actually got to see the first 2 sets- and they were very good! Last night on TV they showed some of the last 2 sets-I stayed up and watched it. Overall he should feel good about the match. No one wants to lose but there was some good moments for him. I hope it gave him a boost.

Ahh Friday- I love Fridays.