the future of usa tennis ? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
country flag hotsportslinks

hotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond reputehotsportslinks has a reputation beyond repute
Default the future of usa tennis ?

with Aggasi retired, and Roddick stuggling . . . a lot, who is the future of USA tennis? James Blake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the future of usa tennis ?

Blake has several good years left, but he's 26, so it's hard to call him the future. Roddick had been slumping by his standards, but he's rebounding nicely and playing about as well as he ever has. He won the Masters event in Cincinnati two weeks ago if you didn't notice. He's going to be around for a while.

I think Taylor Dent is capable of having the type of unexpected surge that Blake has had, but he's been injured all year and it's unclear when he'll be healthy again. He's also 25, so like Blake, he's not exactly "the future."

Ginepri and Fish are solid players around the same age as Roddick and Dent. They'll be around for a while, but stars they are not.

19-year-old Sam Querrey has shown much promise. He'll be in the top 100 in no time and in the top 50 probably within the next year. I'm not sure I see star potential though.

17-year-old Donald Young is by far our most accomplished junior, but hasn't fared well against pros thus far. He has many critics who don't think he'll amount to much. Others still see him as a player with big upside.

We seem to have a pretty deep crop of juniors between the ages of 14 and 16, but right now it's hard to say which ones (if any) will emerge as potential stars.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Roddick is really struggling isn't he, gosh top 10 player in the world...just won his fourth master series title and is playing great tennis...but he's struggling.

Besides Roddick and Blake, you have Ginepri still alive at the Open. Ginepri has the potential to be a top 10 player if he finds his form again.

I mean the US has two players in the top 10 and the only other country at the moment like that is Spain. Yea it's true there's no American player dominating but no one is going to dominate anything with Roger and Rafa around. American tennis is fine we just don't have the two best players at the moment.

The next generation of American tennis looks soooo bleak doesn't it with Sam Querrey winning rounds at the USO, Donald Young won a set off of Djokovic and probably would have beaten some of the lesser players in the draw with the way that he was playing. There are a couple of good players on the way in the juniors if you look too.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
country flag speedemonV12

speedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond reputespeedemonV12 has a reputation beyond repute

Fumus - you are quite funny.. Do you play tennis? or know what it takes to become a good player? do you realize that you named two young American tennis players? where russia and spain and argentina all have upwards of 20 players making a splash on tour

American tennis is going down. There are other sports here for the kids to play. Less and less people are caring about tennis here in the US, and for the kids that are. They just arnt quite as good as the youngsters used to be. The kids today dont want it as much as the rest of the world does. and thats the truth. No one wants to say that American kids arnt as "hungry" as the rest o the world.
speedemonV12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to have to be more specific if you're suggesting that each of those countries is producing 10 good young players for every one good young American player. Please list the 20 players you speak of from each country.

I don't think that American tennis is in an inexorable decline. We're no longer a superpower, that's for sure, but I very much doubt that we're in the process of becoming a minor tennis nation. Yes, there are a lot of other sports in the U.S., but that isn't something new. It's been that way for a long time. There are still a lot of kids playing tennis in this country. There will inevitably be more great American players. Interest is low right now, but all it takes is one great player for that to change.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote