Purple Rainbows TMS Era (and beyond!) Ranking List! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #16
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purple Rainbows TMS Era Ranking List!

The top 10 players at World Tennis Final/The Masters Cup/ATP World Championships since 1990. Updated for 2013.

Third WTF title for Djokovic.

1) Federer, Roger.............440
2) Sampras, Pete...............375
3) Becker, Boris..................270
4) Agassi, Andre.................255
.....Djokovic, Novak...........255...+2
6) Hewitt, Lleyton............190...-1
7) Davydenko, Nikolay.....155
8) Nadal, Rafael...............150...+2
9) Kafelnikov, Yevgeny.......120...-1
10) Moya, Carlos................110...-1

Players listed in bold are active.
Players in red have added to their total in the most recent tournament played.

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 01-29-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Purple Rainbow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #17

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Top 10 of players with most other* titles won since 1990.
Updated after Newport 2014.

*Other means regular atp titles, excluding Slam, TMS and TMC wins.

1) Muster, Tomas................35
......Federer, Roger.............35
2) Sampras, Pete................34
4) Roddick, Andy.................26
5) Hewitt, Lleyton.............25
6) Agassi, Andre.................24
....Kafelnikov, Yevgeny........24
....Chang, Michael...............24
9) Nadal, Rafael................23
10) Ivanisevic, Goran..........19
......Ferrer, David...............19

Players listed in bold are active

10 points awarded for each win, see first post of thread.

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 07-15-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff. I presume that you are going to edit the posts above?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Great stuff. I presume that you are going to edit the posts above?
Of course, but there are only so many hours I want t sit in front of a pc!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't shunned in 88 the AO that is and it leaves a lot of Lendl's achievements out only using 1990 as the starting year.

Good project nevertheless.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
It wasn't shunned in 88 the AO that is and it leaves a lot of Lendl's achievements out only using 1990 as the starting year.

Good project nevertheless.
I know, but I could have started in 1980 to include Lendls achievements, but that would have left Borg out.
1990, the year when the Super 9 tournaments were introduced seemed like a logocal staring point. It also happens to be prety much the starting point of the great era of American tennis with Agassi, Sampras, Courier and Chang (though Chang won the FO a year before).
Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #22
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Well Canada, Cincinatti, Hamburg, Monte Carlo and Rome have been around for a very long time, before they became Super 9 events.

Starting at 1990 when it comes to a greatest player debate does leave out guys like Edberg, Becker and Wilander to a lesser extent, while not the greatest of all time definite greats.

It's just a question of semantics especially since Borg and Laver aren't included due to the timeframe.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Well Canada, Cincinatti, Hamburg, Monte Carlo and Rome have been around for a very long time, before they became Super 9 events.

Starting at 1990 when it comes to a greatest player debate does leave out guys like Edberg, Becker and Wilander to a lesser extent, while not the greatest of all time definite greats.

It's just a question of semantics especially since Borg and Laver aren't included due to the timeframe.
As I said in the first post, I don't think it is possible to compare players of different eras. So what I did was take a point from where the atp calendar has been pretty much unaltered, which happened to be 1990 when the Super 9 format was introduced. No matter what starting point you take, players will always be left out. You can use this list as a testimony to the greatness of Edberg and Becker, though. Even though both were roughly halfway their careers at 1990, they still achieved more in the nineties than the likes of Kafelnikov, Chang and Ivanisevic.
In my opinion, this project a fair way of comparing players from 1990 onwards. I would applaud every effort to try and do the same for a longer timeframe, though.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #24
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Good luck with the project.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #25
country flag Whistleway

Whistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond reputeWhistleway has a reputation beyond repute

great stuff!
Whistleway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #26

For a first udpate, title wins by Federer, Gasquet and Ancic are udpated in the 2nd post of the thread. Ancic overtakes David Ferrer, whereas Gasquet overtakes Berdych.
Furthermore, Jiri Novak retired at a decent #45.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #27
country flag Ernham

Ernham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond reputeErnham has a reputation beyond repute

Methodology is terrible. You shouldn't punish playrs for being dominant, but you should punish them for not winning. Every masters that passes and a given player is active in their tennis career should lower their total score as well, not just playing in it and not doing well. That would be to prevent "one surface" type players from only having to count tournaments they primarily only played in. This unfairly punishes truly injured players and people that had overly long careers, but it's much better than punishing people because they are good and favoring players that weren't good. Heh.
Ernham is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernham View Post
Methodology is terrible. You shouldn't punish playrs for being dominant, but you should punish them for not winning. Every masters that passes and a given player is active in their tennis career should lower their total score as well, not just playing in it and not doing well. That would be to prevent "one surface" type players from only having to count tournaments they primarily only played in. This unfairly punishes truly injured players and people that had overly long careers, but it's much better than punishing people because they are good and favoring players that weren't good. Heh.
How do I punish players for being dominant? The 6th best result rule is actually mant to punish players who don't dominate but play an event all the time and have a lot of 4th rounds or quarterfinals.
Sampras got maximum points for his 7 Wimbledon wins, as did Agassi for winning Key Biscane 6 times.
As for favouring one surface players, they get punished too. Results for all slams and all tms events are counted, so a player who only excells on clay (Kuerten is a good example, even though he had some hard court succes) gets surpassed by a Courier who could play on all surfaces.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #29

Updated for the TMC 2006.
All players won at least one match, so they all add to their ranking total.
Roger Federer is the biggest winner, his 75 points catatpult him to second spot in the TMC ranking since 1990.
James Blake, who tallied 40 points, won 8 spots in the overall ranking, taking him to #64.
David Nalbandians lone win over Roddick gave him just the 10 points he needed to enter the TMC ranking top 10, entering at #9.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #30

I will post the top 100 twice a year to better keep track of the rise of players.
Here's the top 100 halfway through the season, after Roland Garros 2007.
1) Sampras, Pete................ 3710
2) Agassi, Andre..................3392
3) Federer, Roger................2890
4) Courier, Jim.................... 1898
5) Becker, Boris................. 1868
6) Edberg, Stefan...............1777
7) Hewitt, Lleyton..............1740
8) Chang, Michael..............1685
9) Kafelnikov, Yevgeny.......1677
10) Ivanisevic, Goran..........1564
11) Muster, Tomas..............1476
12) Roddick, Andy...............1461
13) Kuerten, Gustavo.........1333
14) Safin, Marat.................1264
15) Moya, Carlos................1249
16) Krajicek, Richard...........1210
17) Stich, Michael................1185
18) Nadal, Rafael.................1182
19) Ferrero, Juan Carlos......1149
20) Rafter, Patrick................1114

21) Henman, Tim.................1103
22) Ferreira, Wayne............1049
23) Rios, Marcelo.................1021
24) Bruguera, Sergi.............1001
25) Corretja, Alex.................976
26) Martin, Todd..................967
27) Enqvist, Thomas............965
28) Nalbandian, David.........874
29) Korda, Petr...................870
30) Haas, Tommy................811

31) Costa, Albert................789
32) Medvedev, Andrei.........785
33) Grosjean, Sebastian......774
34) Philippoussis, Mark........732
35) Pioline, Cedric...............728
36) Coria, Guillermo.............713
37) Lendl, Ivan...................680
38) Björkman, Jonas...........648
39) Rusedski, Greg.............642
40) Forget, Guy...................605
41) Robredo, Tommy............596
42) Gonzalez, Fernando.......587
43) Rosset, Marc..................579
44) Davydenko, Nikolay.......570
45) Johansson, Thomas.......556
46) Ljubicic, Ivan.................527
47) Kiefer, Nicolas...............517
48) Santoro, Fabrice...........516
49) Novak, Jiri.....................500
50) Hrbaty, Dominik............469
51) Larsson, Magnus..........468
52) Gaudio, Gaston............459
53) Mantilla, Felix...............451
54) Gustafsson, Magnus.....441
55) Washington, MaliVai.....432
56) Berasategui, Alberto.....425
57) Schalken, Sjeng............422
58) Norman, Magnus..........404
59) Schüttler, Rainer..........395
60) Blake, James................385
61) Novacek, Karel.............383
62) Krickstein, Aaron..........367
63) Canas, Guillermo..........365
64) Lapentti, Nicolas...........363
65) Wheaton, David............360
66) Pavel, Andrei................349
67) Chesnokov, Andrei.......348
68) Sanchez, Emilio............344
69) Volkov, Alexander.........338
70) Arazi, Hicham................334
71) Boetsch, Arnaud...........333
72) Ferrer, David................328
73) Clement, Arnaud..........316
74) Clavet, Francisco..........315
75) Kucera, Karol................310
76) Ancic, Mario..................298
77) Spadea, Vince..............296
....Djokovic, Novak.............296
79) Chela, Juan Ignacio.....291
80) Costa, Carlos...............283
81) Mirnyi, Max..................282
82) El Aynaoui, Younes......277
.... Youzhny, Mikhail...........277
84) Escude, Nicolas...........273
85) Hlasek, Jakob..............269
86) Woodforde, Mark.........265
87) Stepanek, Radek..........256
88) Malisse, Xavier.............254
89) Srichaphan, Paradorn....248
90) Woodbridge, Todd.........242

91) Siemerink, Jan...............241
92) Gambill, Jan-Michael......238
93) Stoltenberg, Jason........237
94) Haarhuis, Paul..............236
....Ginepri, Robby................236
96) Berdych, Tomas...........233
97) Gasquet, Richard..........232
98) McEnroe, John..............229
99) Zabaleta, Mariano........220
100) Yzaga, Jaime..............214

Last edited by Purple Rainbow : 06-14-2007 at 12:22 PM.