LANCE ARMSTRONG TESTED POSITIVE! - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #166
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LANCE ARMSTRONG TESTED POSITIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by its.like.that
talk about double standards - allowing Amstrong into the stadium and refusing Canas entry.

Yeah, Agassi shouldn't be allowed into the stadium either.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #167
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doping scandals

Doping scandal strips Tour de France of its favorites
By JAMEY KEATEN, Associated Press Writer
June 30, 2006

STRASBOURG, France (AP) -- A doping scandal knocked Tour de France favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso out of the race Friday and threw the world's most glamorous cycling event into chaos.

The decision to bar Ullrich, Basso and others implicated in a doping probe in Spain also sent a strong signal that cheating, or even suspicions of cheating, will not be tolerated.

Tour director Christian Prudhomme said organizers' determination to fight doping was "total."

"The enemy is not cycling, the enemy is doping," he said the day before the start of the Tour.

Riders being excluded will not be replaced, meaning a smaller field than the 189 racers originally expected. And that's not even counting the absence of Lance Armstrong, who retired after winning his seventh straight Tour last year.

It is the biggest doping crisis to the hit the sport since the Festina scandal in 1998 nearly derailed the Tour. The Festina team was ejected from the race after customs officers found a large stash of banned drugs in a team car.

Basso, winner of the Giro d'Italia, and Ullrich -- the 1997 Tour winner and a five-time runner-up -- were among more than 50 cyclists said to have been implicated in the probe that has rocked the sport for weeks.

Basso and Ullrich's teams said Friday that because their names had come up in the probe they were being withdrawn from the Tour. Ullrich's T-Mobile squad said it also suspended rider Oscar Sevilla and sporting director Rudi Pevenage because of their involvement.

Basso was heading back to Italy, his team said.

The team of Spanish racer Francisco Mancebo said its rider was being pulled out, too. Mancebo finished fourth in the last year's Tour.

A total of nine riders who signed up for the Tour were implicated in the Spanish probe, said cycling's governing body, the UCI. Five of the riders were with the Astana-Wurth team, whose former director was among those arrested in Spain.

The UCI identified the implicated Astana riders as Joseba Beloki of Spain, runner-up at the 2002 Tour and third in 2001 and 2000; Allan Davis from Australia; Alberto Contador and Isidro Nozal from Spain; and Sergio Paulinho from Portugal.

The team said it was trying to decide whether to withdraw them. Doing so would leave Astana with fewer than the minimum of six riders needed to start the Tour, which would force out the entire team -- including its pre-race favorite Alexandre Vinokourov from Kazakhstan.

At Astana, "it looks like a system of team doping," Prudhomme said.

Just a day earlier, the Court of Arbitration for Sport had ruled against Tour organizers' call for Astana to be barred from the race.

The Spanish scandal erupted in May when police carried out arrests and raids, seizing drugs and frozen blood thought to have been readied for banned, performance-enhancing transfusions.

Since then, the names of riders said to have had contacts with Eufemiano Fuentes, a doctor among those arrested, have leaked in Spanish media.

Then, after more leaks on Thursday, Spanish authorities released details from the probe to Tour organizers and other cycling bodies, showing which riders were implicated in the investigation. It was on the basis of that official information that Tour teams decided to act.

The UCI noted that while the probe implicated the riders, it had not yet established that they had cheated.
Nevertheless, Tour organizers pushed for their exclusion and teams agreed, in keeping with their ethical charter that allows riders to be barred from racing while they are under investigation for doping.

T-Mobile received information implicating Ullrich, Sevilla and Pevenage from Tour organizers, including documents from the Spanish government, team spokesman Luuc Eisenga said.

"The only thing I can tell you is that the information is clear enough and didn't leave any doubt," he said.

Another T-Mobile spokesman, Stefan Wagner, told Germany's n-tv television that the team was acting on information indicating "that there was contact between the two riders and Rudi Pevenage and the Spanish doctor ... who is at the center of this doping story."

Asked whether T-Mobile would consider cutting ties with Ullrich completely, he replied "certainly ... we are now demanding evidence of his innocence."

"If this evidence can be provided, then we have a completely new situation," he said. "If it cannot be provided, nothing will change about this situation."

German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble, who is responsible for sports, said: "This is a sad day. It can only strengthen us in pursuing the fight against doping with determination."

The extent of Basso's implication was not immediately clear. His team said that Basso insisted he was innocent. But it also said that the suspicion hanging over the Italian would have made his participation in the Tour difficult.

"It would be big chaos if those riders remain in the race," said the manager of Basso's team, Bjarne Riis. "We have to protect cycling."

Riis noted that Basso's contract forbids him from working with doctors from outside their CSC team.

"Ivan must prove with his lawyer that he is innocent," Riis said. "I believe in Ivan but I have been forced to take the necessary steps."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #168
country flag justClaudia

justClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond reputejustClaudia has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought Ivan was also involved in this doping case. It's a shame, really.
justClaudia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #169
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

The pressure to dope is so great. I think almost anyone could be doping.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #170
country flag almouchie

almouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond reputealmouchie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the cylcists have such a bad rep
L'Equipe are usually right about their allegations
I wouldnt be surprised, actually i expect it
that Armstrong has been on some kind of drug
having cancer & then treatment &
then come back to win so many times
u would have to be almost superman to achieve that
thou in cycling it is such a team game, that all the riders in a group race for thier to billing
it kind of seems Lance is trying hard to deny the allegations
after he is retired
there were rumours that once the story of his use will be out he decided to call it quits
Old 06-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #171
country flag vincayou

vincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond reputevincayou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaM
I never thought Ivan was also involved in this doping case. It's a shame, really.
you are very naive, all of the top 50 of the last 10 years (Indurain included) were on EPO at least. This sport is a total fraud, I used to like it.
vincayou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote