The "when I said 'healthy' I meant mental health too" Queens thread - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #826
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "when I said 'healthy' I meant mental health too" Queens thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra ˇ|:!
but at least federer doesn't seem to go out there with a defeatist attitude and start getting negative only a few minutes into t he match. Plus it's not quite the same considering Andy has OWNED James for their entire professional careers. It'd be, IMO, a lot more understandable if Roger was out there completely lost against rafa and didn't quite know what to do and got frustrated easily. But imagine if Roger went out there against someone he owned and looked like that. That's how it was with Andy and that's why I don't get why his attitude and gameplan were so poor the other day. It's not that he had a gameplan and for whatever reason was having trouble executing it, he looked like he had NO gameplan and no clue what to do out there.
I was commenting more about knowing what to do and actually going there and doing it. I was pointing out that even the #1 player has trouble with that against certain players so we should cut Andy some slack. It is obvious that Andy needs to strategize more on court and that will come only if he believes that he has to win no matter what. Once that belief is back, he will think more on court when things are not going his way. I know, it is easier said than done but he needs to get back his killer instinct.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #827
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
I was commenting more about knowing what to do and actually going there and doing it.
but that's the problem, it looked like he didn't know what to do! it's not like he was doing something and was missing, there was no apparent gameplan or anything. Kind of like at RG, why did Roger not do what he had done at Rome which was almost successful? He changed his tactics and looked a bit lost sometimes, that's how Andy was the other day. only difference is, and it's a big one i suppose, he had never lost to him.

It's all the more disappointing after having watched what he said the night before the match. night and day to what he displayed on court

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #828
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but that's the problem, it looked like he didn't know what to do! it's not like he was doing something and was missing, there was no apparent gameplan or anything. Kind of like at RG, why did Roger not do what he had done at Rome which was almost successful? He changed his tactics and looked a bit lost sometimes, that's how Andy was the other day. only difference is, and it's a big one i suppose, he had never lost to him.

It's all the more disappointing after having watched what he said the night before the match. night and day to what he displayed on court
Yeah, I know what you mean but think about this - and I am not insinuating that losing a set is the same as losing a match but Roger always seems to lose a set to Kiefer. There should be no logical reason for him to consistently lose a set to Keifer even though Roger owns him. Same goes for his matches against Ollie. Why does he always have difficult matches against Ollie even though Roger owns Ollie?

Andy is in a state of funk and that coupled with James knowing Andy's game very well contributed to this loss. I think he needs to start believing that no matter what, he has to win. He needs to realize that losing is not an option and every loss is an insult to his ability and his position as a top tennis player.

And to clarify, Andy has gone into this state where he is able to internalize his losses and just say, "Oh well, I couldn't do anything. He was the better player". This kind of defeatist attitude is what is holding him back. If losing was not an option for him, he would find ways to win. The same thing is happening to Roger against Nadal unfortunately. He didn't try anything different in the FO final (not even the play he used on Rome) because he had accepted that Nadal was the better player even before the match ended.

Last edited by rofe : 06-19-2006 at 10:42 PM.
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #829
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe
Andy is in a state of funk and that coupled with James knowing Andy's game very well contributed to this loss. I think he needs to start believing that no matter what, he has to win. He needs to realize that losing is not an option and every loss is an insult to his ability and his position as a top tennis player.
I am trying to be hopeful that these are exactly the types of things that Connors might be able to help him with. i think so. I hope so. It's just too bad it can't start til after Wimbledon.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #830
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am trying to be hopeful that these are exactly the types of things that Connors might be able to help him with. i think so. I hope so. It's just too bad it can't start til after Wimbledon.
but Connors will be at wimbledon so maybe he'll give him a few sneaky tips! If Andy makes it to the 2nd week that is.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote