Murray splits from coach Petchey - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
country flag MrExcel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond reputeMrExcel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Murray splits from coach Petchey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4910582.stm

British number one Andy Murray has parted company with coach Mark Petchey.

Petchey quit as head of men's national training at the Lawn Tennis Association last summer to become the 18-year-old's coach on a permanent basis.

"We had a great run together but we've had a difference of opinion regarding some aspects of my game," said Murray.

"I've not thought about my next coach and will take time to find one who can help develop the next stages of my tennis. We are not in a hurry."

Murray's profile has rocketed up since his impressive displays at Wimbledon last year.

He has become British number one, risen to 44th in the world rankings and won his first ATP tour title when he beat Lleyton Hewitt at the SAP Open in February.

So Murray was quick to point out that he was not going to rush into any rash decision.

"It has barely been a full year that I have been on the professional tour, and I am continuously learning new things," he said.

Petchey, who worked with Murray full-time for 10 months, was philosophical about their separation.

"I am very proud of what we have achieved together - getting Andy into the top 50 and winning his first ATP title at the age of 18," he said.

"I have no doubt that Andy will make the top 10 and be a Grand Slam winner in the future and wish him every success."

That's a shame, I thought they worked well together. Oh well, will be interesting to see who he gets next.

MrExcel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray splits from coach Petchey

I was reading through the thread at MTF and many people were saying that they may have split becayse Mark was too controlling over Andy's schedule. Andy didn't have any say in what was going on (according to his interview in Miami).

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
country flag ClaycourtaZzZz.

ClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond reputeClaycourtaZzZz. has a reputation beyond repute

Finally

All youngsters

Murray Baghdatis Monfils JMDP Gasquet

Roger Federer, what an arrogant asshole.
ClaycourtaZzZz. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
country flag musefanatic

Location: In Monaco harbour waiting for next week's GP with a drunken Kimi
musefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh i'm sad about this and really shocked. I really liked petch. Hopefully he can get a coaching job with someone else

Good luck to Andy and Petch in the future with their coaching searches and whatnot

15 wins- 14 poles- 456 points

Murray HenmanNieminen Ferrero Federer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara_M View Post
oh then i come to share the bed
musefanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
country flag OddJob

OddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond reputeOddJob has a reputation beyond repute

I read this in GM and I think it's a good idea.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
OddJob is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
country flag shyscots25

shyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond reputeshyscots25 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i agree with the last post, i have expected this quietly for a while. I never expected Mark to be andy's long term coach, and i was surprised when Andy went for him to begin with. I think he needs the right person to take his game forward now. Work on his power and serve, which is all he really needs aside consistency to make it to the top. I think also tactically he needs to be cuter at times. I have no idea who it will be, but i have a feeling he won't be short of offers. Maybe even McEnroe or someone might join him short-term.

Anyway he has been given an absolute gimme in the first round of monte-carlo, with a match against the lizard! His section is pretty good really, aside from the fact that he will play the clay court king Nadal in round two.
shyscots25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
country flag Aleksa's Laydee

Aleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond reputeAleksa's Laydee has a reputation beyond repute

When I first saw this, I thought 'brat'....I still think that but it'l be interesting to see how he plays with another coach or no coach! Then i'l make a better comment

Dmitry Tursunov

*mmm sweaty hugs from dima *
[Faithful Mitya Slave]

Mardy Fish
[Big right back at ya dude]
Thomas Johansson
Jonas Bjorkman - Joachim Johansson - Simon Aspelin - Jiri Novak - Richard Gasquet
Andy Murray - Fernando Gonzalez - Max Mirnyi - Jan Michael Gambill
James Blake - Greg Rusedski - Alex Bogdanovic
Andrew Kennaugh & Michael Ryderstedt ♥
Aleksa's Laydee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote