Could Andy be British No.1 this week? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-24-2006, 02:50 AM   #16
country flag hazelcad

hazelcad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Could Andy be British No.1 this week?

Hiya!!

Just found this on the ATP Memphis site;

Quote: With his winning effort Thursday, Murray will earn enough ranking points to displace Tim Henman as the top British player when the INDESIT ATP Rankings are released Monday. The Scot, who rose 13 places to a career-high No. 47 following his SAP Open title victory, stood just within reach of No. 40 Henman and No. 43 Greg Rusedski to began his week in Memphis.

Amazing!
hazelcad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
country flag Gulliver

Gulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond repute

This obsession with British #1 is peculiar to British commentators and media. I am unaware of French commentators/media always announcing Gasquet as French #1, the USA saying Roddick is American #1, Gonzalez is Chile's #1 etc.etc. but that's what Cowan, Threlfall, Bailey and other idiots like them focus on, yawn. World rankings are what count, and Henman and Murray agree, but Rusedski ('nuff said!) doesn't!
Gulliver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
country flag gusman890

gusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond reputegusman890 has a reputation beyond repute

well he is moving up in both, thats good though. ranking is important haha

I'm an American who loves clay tennis and the clay season...what is wrong with that picture?
gusman890 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #19
country flag Sweet4Richard

Sweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond reputeSweet4Richard has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Andy

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Richard "the Federer of Nottingham" Gasquet

Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Sweet4Richard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 PM   #20
country flag musefanatic

Location: In Monaco harbour waiting for next week's GP with a drunken Kimi
musefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond reputemusefanatic has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Andy!!! Congrats!

15 wins- 14 poles- 456 points

Murray HenmanNieminen Ferrero Federer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara_M View Post
oh then i come to share the bed
musefanatic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #21
country flag hazelcad

Whatever Andy says I'm sure he will be secretly delighted. It doesn't do to make a big song and dance, especially cos Tim has been really supportive to him but every pro tennis player in this country would like to be British no.1. They're competitive people!
I say congrats to him. He's worked like a dog for this and it's well deserved!

And I don't think it's just the Brits. It was 1st reported on a US site!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #22
country flag Gulliver

Gulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond reputeGulliver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelcad
Whatever Andy says I'm sure he will be secretly delighted. It doesn't do to make a big song and dance, especially cos Tim has been really supportive to him but every pro tennis player in this country would like to be British no.1. They're competitive people!
I say congrats to him. He's worked like a dog for this and it's well deserved!

And I don't think it's just the Brits. It was 1st reported on a US site!
Where have you been? The British media have been on about this for ages, and worked out when it would happen so don't think it was first reported in US. And BBC have headline of Murray being underwhelmed
by the whole thing. You know Murray, do you, enough to be sure that he's secretly delighted? Odd, then, that he said no tournaments have only British players for it then to mean something.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #23
country flag hazelcad

Was that really necessary? I was good-naturedly expessing an opinion and wishing him well.
I thought we were all on the same side. And it WAS reported first on a US site that he was ACTUALLY British number one. After he won the match in question. I wasn't talking about the British press theorizing when it COULD happen.
I feel very sorry for you. To have such a miserable, negative attitude towards other people that you feel the need to carp and critisize like that.
Perhaps you ought to think about that.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #24
country flag Gulliver

O.K.O.K. It may have sounded critical of you, but nothing personal I was actually trying to be realistic about the whole hype thing and that it wasn't the earth-shattering event some have made it out to be. The following is from today's Telegraph (1.03.06):

"Andy Murray has been wise beyond his years in not allowing himself to be caught up in the nonsensical hype over his supplanting of Tim Henman as the British No 1.

As Murray admitted: "It's not that big a deal, to be honest. Obviously, you'd rather be No 1 than the British No 20. It's nice to be No 1 in your own country but it doesn't mean anything to the other players, whereas if you're in the top 10 in the world, then that's pretty special."

That Murray has breached the top 50 at the age of 18 - beginning the week at No 42 - is pretty special but he is right not to get carried away by the achievement. He would, after all, be ranked only seventh in Spain, sixth in the US and fifth in Argentina. In fact, he would not even be the top-ranked player in Finland, Slovakia, Chile or Cyprus.

Being Britain's No 1 tennis player right now is like being Hawaii's top-ranked downhill skier. Congratulations, but frankly the competition is not all that hot."

And Petchey is quoted yesterday as saying that Murray genuinely doesn't care.