The I Don't Give a Crap if Gaston doesn't win a Match in Shanghai Thread - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 AM   #181
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The I Don't Give a Crap if Gaston doesn't win a Match in Shanghai Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
If you want a serious answer here it is.

You are kidding with me or don't know me very well at all to say I am too subjective. I am a lot of things, but not I am so subjective as not to able to comment effectively on something and yes I do criticise people I like, when it's deserved.

I am going to explain this in point form for you.

- Did I say he played well? No, he didn't. Believe me it's not just since this year I have watched Gaudio play tennis and have seen him not try in matches before. If you want a clear and obvious example of when he has not done his best the 2nd set of the Berdych match in Paris just a few weeks ago. The 3rd round US Open match with Gambill, when he was consistently serve/volleying, that was an example of a questionable effort.

- Onto nerves: Every player has them and they have to find the best way for them to manage their nerves on that particular day, some days it works out and other days it doesn't. It's called the facts of life that these happen, and it happens in every field. Gaston couldn't manage them and it effected his play, it wasn't solely down to this, but serving all those faults in the 1st game, not a good point, effecting his footwork, where he couldn't hit the ball as well as he could have, he didn't manage the situation.

What point and relevance does Nalbandian have in this thread, it doesn't. It's about Gaston's performance in this match.

- Gaston played a poor match, but to say he didn't try to play well in this match is garbage, when I have seen so many qualities performances where he didn't do his best.

No pro wants to lose 6-0 6-0, Hewitt lost 2 sets 6-0 6-0 to Federer at the US Open, he was definitely trying to win this match. Corretja when # 3 in the world lost 2 sets 6-0 6-0 to Hewitt, yes, he was trying his heart out.

Well when a player is trying and they can't do anything on the court, why wouldn't they want to get off the court as soon as possible? It's a horrible experience when they are trying their best on that day to win and they make errors and can't win a game and look hopeless, it's called embarrassment and think about the level of this match, and feeling helpless then it makes sense that they want to get away from the scene as soon as possible, this does not mean that they are not trying to rectify the situation, though it's not always going to be successful.

Debate is fun, bring it on.
I am not going to debate because I agree with you 100% GWH What a brilliant post!

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #182
country flag Eléa

Eléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond reputeEléa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The I Don't Give a Crap if Gaston doesn't win a Match in Shanghai Thread

I feel the same as Rosie, so, sorry, i won't debate either. I finally feel understood.
Thank you for this post Georges, it had comforted me a lot, even if it wasn't the aim first

Marcelo Rios - Hugo Armando (my Hugo's blog) - David Ferrer

all my support to: X-man, Lleyton, Mario, Feli, Diego H, Willy Canas, Ruben, Nico L, Igor, Peter, J-P and Robert & Rameez
to my "pti potes" Diego Junqueira , Gustavo Marcaccio & "Régis" Guzman
and Vince
Le crado Zabaleta "EveRRRybody"
Eléa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #183
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
If you want a serious answer here it is.

You are kidding with me or don't know me very well at all to say I am too subjective. I am a lot of things, but not I am so subjective as not to able to comment effectively on something and yes I do criticise people I like, when it's deserved.

I am going to explain this in point form for you.

- Did I say he played well? No, he didn't. Believe me it's not just since this year I have watched Gaudio play tennis and have seen him not try in matches before. If you want a clear and obvious example of when he has not done his best the 2nd set of the Berdych match in Paris just a few weeks ago. The 3rd round US Open match with Gambill, when he was consistently serve/volleying, that was an example of a questionable effort.

- Onto nerves: Every player has them and they have to find the best way for them to manage their nerves on that particular day, some days it works out and other days it doesn't. It's called the facts of life that these happen, and it happens in every field. Gaston couldn't manage them and it effected his play, it wasn't solely down to this, but serving all those faults in the 1st game, not a good point, effecting his footwork, where he couldn't hit the ball as well as he could have, he didn't manage the situation.

What point and relevance does Nalbandian have in this thread, it doesn't. It's about Gaston's performance in this match.

- Gaston played a poor match, but to say he didn't try to play well in this match is garbage, when I have seen so many qualities performances where he didn't do his best.

No pro wants to lose 6-0 6-0, Hewitt lost 2 sets 6-0 6-0 to Federer at the US Open, he was definitely trying to win this match. Corretja when # 3 in the world lost 2 sets 6-0 6-0 to Hewitt, yes, he was trying his heart out.

Well when a player is trying and they can't do anything on the court, why wouldn't they want to get off the court as soon as possible? It's a horrible experience when they are trying their best on that day to win and they make errors and can't win a game and look hopeless, it's called embarrassment and think about the level of this match, and feeling helpless then it makes sense that they want to get away from the scene as soon as possible, this does not mean that they are not trying to rectify the situation, though it's not always going to be successful.

Debate is fun, bring it on.
There's nothing to debate, you're completely right. Thank you George!
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #184
country flag clin

clin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone. I would really like someone who knows Gaston to pass the best of the posts here on to him. I watched all the singles matches in Shanghai. Yes, Gaston didn't play his best against Roger. Both Gaston and Davydenko had to play the day before and both were decidedly flatter than Roger and David -- who had a day's rest -- in the semis. So Davydenko also got blanked in his first set. And Gaston was coming off the emotional high of coming back from the brink of defeat against Gonzo; AND having to do the round of interviews afterwards; AND having to go back to sign autographs at the Wilson booth. So being back on court less than 24 hours later must surely have been tough.

In any case, remember what Andre said at the US Open before playing Roger:

ANDRE AGASSI: Well, the challenge is real simple, you know. Most people have weaknesses and most people only have one great shot. I mean, Federer doesn't have weaknesses and has a few great shots. So that equates to a problem (laughter). I mean, I could lie, I could say something else, but...But he's earned that respect. That means you go out in the match and you address it with urgency and you have to play well, you know. He's not the first guy to make you feel that way, but he's certainly the guy that's doing it better than anybody now.

Q. Do you know what it takes to beat him? Is it a matter of executing it? Or are you still looking for answers?>

ANDRE AGASSI: You hit it in that corner and that corner and that corner and that corner over and over again, and you beat him. But you got to do it.

I mean, listen, there's no weakness to speak of, but it is ‑‑ sports is a function of executing, you know. The guy plays great defense, plays great offense. He has a great hold game and he has a great break game. You play a bad match against Pete, you lose 6‑4, 7‑5. You play a good match against Pete, you lose 6‑4, 7‑5. You play a good match against Federer, you lose 6‑4, 7‑5. You play a bad match against Federer, you lose 1 and 1."

Well 1 and 1 is not so different from love and love. Gaston was not really going for the corners in his match, playing it safe; and Roger jumped all over his shots. And as someone pointed out, Roger had the two love sets agaist Hewitt at the Open last year.

And another thing, I watched Gaston practice before his match against Roger at about 6 pm (match was at 7 pm). He was hitting with Franco. The terrible thing was the big stadium screen was showing the DVD from last year's Masters and he was clearly watching the screen during practice and particularly the part where they talk about how he didn't win a match and lost to Federer in Houston. Yikes. Not exactly the right thing to watch just before you have to play Federer again.

So he shouldn't feel too bad. The fans in the stadium wanted him to do well, and he was clearly popular with the crowds. They cheered him on in the Gonzo match and just wanted him to do well against Federer. He should have felt no pressure as there were no expectations. He should have had fun out there and played looser. Too bad he didn't. But he doesn't need to apologize.

So I hope someone passes this on to him. Many thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #185
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Clin! There have been quite a few very good posts here, and yours is one of them!
I might be able to forward them to Gastón in a roundabout way, but I wonder if it's a good idea...? I mean, he's going to try to enjoy himself with those close to him and put all this behind him, and really feel he's on holiday from tennis. Any opinions out there?
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #186
country flag clin

clin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond reputeclin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
Thanks Clin! There have been quite a few very good posts here, and yours is one of them!
I might be able to forward them to Gastón in a roundabout way, but I wonder if it's a good idea...? I mean, he's going to try to enjoy himself with those close to him and put all this behind him, and really feel he's on holiday from tennis. Any opinions out there?
Hi Vale, thank you. You are probably right that we don't need to remind him of the ordeal again and he deserves rest and a great holiday. The whole Shanghai tournament was incredibly tiring, even for the fans because the stadium was an hour away from the city and travelling there every day was not easy. Anyway, I just now got caught up with Gaston's post-match interviews, and it sounded like he has good perspective on the whole thing anyway. BTW, I am very glad that David did himself and Argentina proud. He really was the player to beat in Shanghai. Congratulations!
Old 11-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #187
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale
I personally feel he might like to read them....but not just now, as he has said himself that he wants a complete holiday from tennis this next few weeks ((http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/1...tes/d-07904.htm ) .But it maybe nice to give him some confidence during next season.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 11-21-2005 at 04:34 PM.
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:58 AM   #188
country flag Florencia

Florencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond reputeFlorencia has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is a bit late and this thread should probably be over, but I just want to make a comment since I have just read the last posts.

George: I really liked your post, not only for its content but also because it is a very good example of how discussion should be dealt with.

I mean, on some occasions I have noticed certain "subtle intolerance" towards opinions expressed by people who hold a different point of view. I know that sometimes we get emotional and we tend to answer rather impulsively (I can tell from personal experience, since I usually get mad when I feel that Gaston is being unfairly attacked). But,as long as the other opinion is respectul and the poster comments on the grounds that sustain his position, we should be able to accept diversity. If we do not agree, we can clearly express our ideas or beliefs (as George did), without looking down on the others' opinions.

Besides, debate is certainly fun and it will enrich the excellent level of discussion that this forum already has.

At least, this is my opinion.

Last edited by Florencia : 11-25-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Florencia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #189
country flag bluegueber

bluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond reputebluegueber has a reputation beyond repute

Florencia: Some individuals here believe that their opinion is more qualified, they will never understand what you mean.
bluegueber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #190
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegueber
Florencia: Some individuals here believe that their opinion is more qualified, they will never understand what you mean.
If you have a problem with any particular poster and their views take it up with them specifically, it's a lot easier that way.

You have to be prepared to defend your view point with counterarguments, if an individual doesn't agree and state why they don't, it's a basic fact of life that no one is going to agree 100 per cent of the time.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote