Wimbledon 2014 Tournament Discussion Thread - Page 91 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #1351
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon 2014 Tournament Discussion Thread

Obviously a bitterly disappointing loss. I was expecting at least one of the players to come out & play his best tennis of the tournament: I was hoping it would be Federer, but in fact it was Djokovic. That must be close to the best he's ever played on grass. Incredibly clean ball-striking. Roger showed a great deal of fight & determination to take it to 5, especially when (in my opinion) Djokovic was the better player even for most of the 2 sets he lost. Federer didn't have the necessary sting on his forehand; when he's beaten Novak in slams he's been hitting slapshot forehand winners from everywhere on the court, & for whatever reason he wasn't able to do that today. Also Novak handled Roger's slice better than he usually does, & took advantage of some ill-judged net approaches by Federer.

Fortunately we know Roger is incredibly resilient in the face of disappointment. After losing that heartbreaker at Wimbledon 2008 he came straight back to win the US Open, beating Djoker & Murray on the way. I'm not saying he's going to do that this year but as long as he's healthy, motivated, & playing well enough to get to the business end of slams, he's got a decent chance of winning another one.

In terms of the game, & arguably of Roger's legacy, this was a good result. Tennis doesn't need its top player having a complex about slam finals, & Federer's slam record is safer from Nadal's depredations if Novak can play his best in the championship matches. Obviously another slam or 2 from Roger would also help, but even though he couldn't do it today he proved he certainly still can. After working so hard for so long & achieving so much, Federer still has the desire & ability to challenge for slams at 32, & we as his fans couldn't ask for more.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #1352
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Well said.

I will always watch Roger playing and fighting against his younger rivals.
If he can keep this level for another year or two, he still have a decent shot at #18.

I'm not asking him to win, I'm happy anyway, as long he keeps fighting and playing.

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

302 weeks #1 - 6 WTFs

'The future is just a fucking concept that we use to avoid being alive today.'

'You only get one life. There's no God, no rules, except for those you accept or create for yourself. Then once it's over... it's over. Dreamless sleep forever and ever. So why not be happy while you're here?'
Joey Tribbiani is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #1353
country flag hilluis

hilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond reputehilluis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Obviously a bitterly disappointing loss. I was expecting at least one of the players to come out & play his best tennis of the tournament: I was hoping it would be Federer, but in fact it was Djokovic. That must be close to the best he's ever played on grass. Incredibly clean ball-striking. Roger showed a great deal of fight & determination to take it to 5, especially when (in my opinion) Djokovic was the better player even for most of the 2 sets he lost. Federer didn't have the necessary sting on his forehand; when he's beaten Novak in slams he's been hitting slapshot forehand winners from everywhere on the court, & for whatever reason he wasn't able to do that today. Also Novak handled Roger's slice better than he usually does, & took advantage of some ill-judged net approaches by Federer.

Fortunately we know Roger is incredibly resilient in the face of disappointment. After losing that heartbreaker at Wimbledon 2008 he came straight back to win the US Open, beating Djoker & Murray on the way. I'm not saying he's going to do that this year but as long as he's healthy, motivated, & playing well enough to get to the business end of slams, he's got a decent chance of winning another one.

In terms of the game, & arguably of Roger's legacy, this was a good result. Tennis doesn't need its top player having a complex about slam finals, & Federer's slam record is safer from Nadal's depredations if Novak can play his best in the championship matches. Obviously another slam or 2 from Roger would also help, but even though he couldn't do it today he proved he certainly still can. After working so hard for so long & achieving so much, Federer still has the desire & ability to challenge for slams at 32, & we as his fans couldn't ask for more.
Great post. Totally agree - you said everything I wanted to! Thank you for the insightful post.
hilluis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #1354
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of win or loss, in straight sets or 5 hour marathons, clay or grass, first round or final, day or night, London to Shanghai, against a world number 1 or world number 200, I will support Roger infinitely throughout.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #1355
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, everyone. Sorry I didn't get on here last night, but I knew I was going to need to read this forum in one go, and I didn't have time yesterday. Firstly, all round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogieva View Post
That stupid line judge

Should have been 0-30
Yes, that was a really bad call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT76 View Post
He looks tired slightly, how can it be?? Played so little.
I think that may have been part of the problem. Although it was great for him to get through so unscathed in one way, I did wonder how well he was really playing, and whether he needed to be tested en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
who would've thought after only being broken once all tournament that Rog would have so much trouble on serve.
Yes, indeed. I don't know, but when he was serving from this end of the court he did seem to hit an awful lot of serves which seemed to me to be borderline out and got called out - the sort of thing where there might have been 1 mm overlap or so on Hawkeye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
serve gone again
Quote:
No first serves in the final game, so you really can't expect to hold.
At that point, the notorious Centre Court shadow was spreading across the court (and very strong because of the sunshine). He would have been serving straight into the sun, I think, and not only that but he probably wouldn't have been able to see Novak and his returns as well as usual in the darkness. That may have contributed, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT76 View Post
Deserved victory, was overall better player.
True enough. It seemed to me in the first set that Roger was slower around the court than in previous matches: anyone else think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
To have fought so gallantly in the 4th set, and then - that's the heartbreaking part. Congrats DL94
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
I will never forget Wimbledon 2014, even though Roger eventually lost in the final. After not making it to the QF in 3 of the last 4 slams, people were really starting to write Roger off, but yet again he proved them all wrong.
Yes. I think it was Marc Rosset who René Stauffer quoted in the Tagesanzeiger saying that there are a lot of people out there who owe Roger an apology.

Quote:
I wasn't sure he would ever make a final again after 2013. So he has done well to make the final here and almost win it (was two games away). I was surprised how well he kept toe to toe with Djokovic from the baseline through most of the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamed View Post
Personally heartbroken, but so so proud.
Me too, for both these.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #1356
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

Still completely bummed out by this loss
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #1357
country flag timafi

timafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond reputetimafi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Roger puts on a little muscle mass on his upper body;I mean another 10 lbs of muscle won't hurt and from now until next Wimbledon work on that backhand
Conservative Media Cooks Up Outlandish Claim That Obama Admin. Is Racially Profiling Gun Owners http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09...laim-th/200808 http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/09...d-on-ev/200756

The Media's Imaginary Coffee Salute Scandal

http://mediamatters.org/research/201...scandal/200863
timafi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #1358
country flag dombrfc

dombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond reputedombrfc has a reputation beyond repute

So so disappointed still.
And what happened to the Federer forehand by the way? Didn't arrive until late in 4th :/

Djoko deserved to win by a country mile and Fed did us so proud to reach the final with the elegance and grace only he can portray
Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #1359
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Regardless of win or loss, in straight sets or 5 hour marathons, clay or grass, first round or final, day or night, London to Shanghai, against a world number 1 or world number 200, I will support Roger infinitely throughout.
+1000000000000000000x

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #1360
country flag JKT76

JKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond reputeJKT76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by timafi View Post
I hope Roger puts on a little muscle mass on his upper body;I mean another 10 lbs of muscle won't hurt and from now until next Wimbledon work on that backhand
This, said that before too. More muscle is needed, not much but some. Federer was in much better shape back in 2011/2012. He can still be in top shape, just needs to do some more gym, get some power and drop all excess lard.
JKT76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #1361
country flag Scott Stevenett

Scott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond reputeScott Stevenett has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
Still completely bummed out by this loss
me too! I'm gutted.

Let's just say the women's final didn't go the way I wanted it to either so its been a difficult weekend to get over
Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 AM   #1362
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Well after today's unbelievable scoreline against Brazil, I'm double gutted. Think I'm giving up on sports for a bit

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #1363
country flag Panthera
A new Tennis fan...

Panthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond reputePanthera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^^ Well after today's unbelievable scoreline against Brazil, I'm double gutted. Think I'm giving up on sports for a bit
Same here... I´m not such a soccer fan, but never saw our team loose with so many goals....
Panthera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #1364
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Same here... I´m not such a soccer fan, but never saw our team loose with so many goals....

I was cheering for Brazil here, can't stand Germany. Hope Argentina stops them. Don't want a European country winning.
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1365
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

You summed it up perfectly Sophocles. Thank you. I'd always picked Djokovic to win Wimbledon this year and that Nadal would be out before the s/f which made me believe/hope Roger would get to the final.

I tried to convince myself the day before the final that Roger could beat Novak, but I wasn't successful. The fact that it went to a 5th set was a bonus for me as I'd taken the result to be Djokovic in 4 (as it could well have been).

Perhaps that's why I took the loss so well and felt nothing but pride for the way Roger fought to take it to a 5th.

Commiserations to Brazil soccer fans ...we don't watch football matches in our house but were so surprised when we flicked on briefly to see what the score was after 30 minutes.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote