Does anyone else hate the world cup? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #31
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else hate the world cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rios Drop Volley View Post
lol world cup is where legends are made, champions league is a boring shit where only teams with money can compete
But the level is much higher there. Spain 2010 were basically a weaker version of Guardiola's Barcelona and it's safe to say Real Madrid along with other top teams in Europe are stronger than any World Cup squad.

Things evolve, in the past the World Cup might have represented the highest level of football, but this is no longer the case by any stretch of the imagination. The 'only teams with money can compete' would be valid if there weren't even less credible World Cup contenders than there are contenders to win the Champions League every year.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #32
country flag Rios Drop Volley

Rios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond reputeRios Drop Volley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
But the level is much higher there. Spain 2010 were basically a weaker version of Guardiola's Barcelona and it's safe to say Real Madrid along with other top teams in Europe are stronger than any World Cup squad.

Things evolve, in the past the World Cup might have represented the highest level of football, but this is no longer the case by any stretch of the imagination. The 'only teams with money can compete' would be valid if there weren't even less credible World Cup contenders than there are contenders to win the Champions League every year.
maybe but I think the format is responisble for the percieved less quality in a WC (in WC there are fewer games, a lot more pressure in each match that makes teams play tight and bad, coaches have more time and matches to tune the teams in CL, also WC is at the end of the season, players are tired already)

but anyway, i dont mind if there are less contenders in WC as long as it is because they're just better

in CL some millionaire can buy a team and put a CL level team together ina few season, that kind of I find very boring

Tomic - Thiem - Dolgopolov - Istomin - Donskoy - Malla
Rios Drop Volley is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #33
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rios Drop Volley View Post
maybe but I think the format is responisble for the percieved less quality in a WC (in WC there are fewer games, a lot more pressure in each match that makes teams play tight and bad, coaches have more time and matches to tune the teams in CL, also WC is at the end of the season, players are tired already)

but anyway, i dont mind if there are less contenders in WC as long as it is because they're just better

in CL some millionaire can buy a team and put a CL level team together ina few season, that kind of I find very boring
The format does play a role, as well as the timing - with players tired at the end of the season. But still, if there's a match between Atlético Madrid - not even a billionaire or star-studded team - and any National Team in the world - even the very best ones - my money is on Atlético Madrid easily.

They have one things NTs don't have: routines as a team. The reason for the demise of international football is that the players are rarely together and don't really get to develop to their full potential as a team. A team like Spain - a rare case where the core players all played together at Barcelona - has managed to dominate the international scene with relative ease, not because they've been particularly outstanding but because they have everyone beat when it comes to chemistry as a team - even their very declined 2014 version is still one of the World Cup favorites.

It's been obvious for quite a while that club football has overtaken international football, and it's not even close, the gulf in quality is very clear. I'll still watch the World Cup closely, but I'm definitely much more impressed with a player dominating the Champions League than doing so at the World Cup. In fact, the eye test proves this theory; the players who have left a big mark in the CL in recent years (Messi especially, but also Ronaldo, Iniesta and some others) are by all accounts superior to the likes of Forlán, Muller, Villa... the best players of the WC 2010.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #34
country flag Thanos
Banned!

Thanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond reputeThanos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

typical answer from portuguese .

i hope to see portugal to lose early once again.
Thanos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #35
safin-rules-no.1

safin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond reputesafin-rules-no.1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThP View Post
Me. There is nothing more retarded than a horde of drunk football fans.
Totally this. Parts of England look like a nuclear holocaust after they lose a game. Just a bunch of Stella drinking fatties causing trouble.
safin-rules-no.1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #36
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oracle View Post
yeah, the idea of sovereign countries...did you say you hated the olympics as well?
Sovereign countries what? Are you still stuck in the 19th century? Besides, Serbian football both sucks ass and it's rotten to the core, I wouldn't cheer for them if I were paid to.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #37
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too happy about the Brazilian police and army murdering children to make it happen, but I'm obviously hypocritical like most of my fellow human beings and won't let it affect my viewing pleasure.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #38
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulzhan View Post

You have to be an American to hate the World Cup Because of envy of course

That being said, I do hate Super Bawl
Post makes zero sense. The person you are replying to isn't American and plus the idea that Americans hate the World Cup is pretty archaic. And the OP isn't American either btw. In fact nobody in this thread who had said something negative about the World Cup has been American. Looks like you were just chomping at the bit to spout off this nonsensical and misguided post.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #39
country flag underspin

underspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond reputeunderspin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's been obvious for quite a while that club football has overtaken international football, and it's not even close, the gulf in quality is very clear. I'll still watch the World Cup closely, but I'm definitely much more impressed with a player dominating the Champions League than doing so at the World Cup.
You're right about the gap in quality, but I think wrong to suggest it automatically makes the World Cup a less important competition. Even for the fact that it happens once every four years, it captures the interest of fans in a unique way, and has a greater prestige to any individual Champions League campaign.

The bolded part I disagree with. A player can dominate either, the fact that the World Cup is less regular and shorter means there is more chance involved in terms of form, but with better team mates it can be easier to stand out in the Champions League, especially for Ronaldo and Messi whose teams are built around them more than an international side realistically can be - despite Portugal's best efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
I'm not too happy about the Brazilian police and army murdering children to make it happen, but I'm obviously hypocritical like most of my fellow human beings and won't let it affect my viewing pleasure.
This

As for the OP, congratulations. You cannot help it if you "hate" the World Cup, but put it this way: Some of us like the World Cup and will enjoy it. All other things being equal, I think we're the better off group
unfortunately due to declining testosterone in men nowadays most men can't rock the short hair/bald look. So they have to go for the pretty boy homo long hair look or those faggy flicked up hairstyles which get on my nerves:

As an aside, Grioud looks masculine as fuck, but his hairstyle pisses me off, this hairstyle is emulated a lot amongst the men of ages 18-25 and it's just embarassing .

Only asexual hipsters or immature teenage girls are attarcted to guys with those homo hairstyles or long hair.
underspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #40
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_here_grindin View Post
Post makes zero sense. The person you are replying to isn't American and plus the idea that Americans hate the World Cup is pretty archaic. And the OP isn't American either btw. In fact nobody in this thread who had said something negative about the World Cup has been American. Looks like you were just chomping at the bit to spout off this nonsensical and misguided post.
Gulzhan never misses an opportunity to bash the Americans, but this time she forgot to add her communist propaganda which is surprising.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #41
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I see the WC as a glorified exho, something like the DC. Players playing for their home country as an offseason fun and are having good time with their countrymen.
Ridiculous. It's an exho why? Because the players aren't playing for millions of dollars in contracts? It's the biggest event in soccer and it's not close.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #42
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BS. Messi is better than all those players, from 2009-2012 he dominated football to an extent never seen before and that none of those names could ever dream of - like Federer in tennis in his prime or Jordan in the NBA.

For four years, Messi was both the most prolific scorer, the best dribbler and the best playmaker in football - dominating two Champions League finals in the process. This is obviously miles more impressive than anything that can be done in a competition that happens from 4 to 4 years.

For 4 years on a weekly basis, Messi was basically worth 2 goals per match on average - directly that is, not even counting the goals coming from space created by the other teams' need to mark him with multiple men -, which is something we're unlikely to see again in our lifetime.
come back to me when Messi wins 2 World Cups and scores 1000 goals (Pele), Eauropean Cup 3 years in a row revolutionising football in the process (Cruyff). To become a true great you need to perform on the biggest stage of all (unless you Nation is Northern Island, Best is exempt )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #43
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute

I like World Cup but all of the hype that comes with it can be really annoying. To be expected I suppose.
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #44
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

National team titles are overhyped. It's all about being born in the right country at the right time. A player who'd have no business in CL's top teams can find himself on the substitutes' bench in the WC winning team. To win the CL, you need to be very good even to get to those teams.

For sure, given how there are annual leagues, cups, and CL/ELs, quadrennial WC/Euro is a big thing. Finland winning a major title (ain't gonna happen) would go for me ahead anything Liverpool could do. Only League-Cup-CL treble would be on level with Finland's title. But when I assess a player's career, what he did over the season for his club is for me more important than what he did during a month for his national team.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #45
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by safin-rules-no.1 View Post
Every 4 years we're subjected to this utter garbage. Overpaid ugly buffoons running round a pitch for 90 minutes is not exciting. Plus there will be hell with people being pissed up constantly, my car was vomited on last time the world cup was on (no joke, looked like they had a Chinese).
Jesus Christ do you ever stop bitching?

The World Cup is a beautiful event
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote