So I just randomly bought a ticket to Singapore in June ... - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2014, 02:39 AM   #16
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So I just randomly bought a ticket to Singapore in June ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Thanks heaps. I'm definately looking to go to the zoo, do you know how much it is? I'm going to have to ration my money.
http://www.zoo.com.sg/visitor-info/s...o-tickets.html

Ridiculously expensive and you have to pay for other exhibits separately (the pandas, for example, if I'm not wrong). The zoo is nice but overpriced in my opinion.

Quote:
Any authentic Singaporean dishes I shouldn't leave without trying? I like trying weird exotic food.

Thanks for the info on the hostels, it'll either be that or couch-surfing

Is it easy to leave Singapore through to Malaysia? Is their a bridge or something?
I'm sure you can find lots of other backpacking options. Tiong Bahru has some too I think, and that area is quite popular with young Singaporeans - lots of local cafes and there's an awesome food centre with delicious food.

Everyone eats chicken rice, so try that if you're not vegetarian. Laksa is quite Singaporean too (I personally don't like it; it's heavy on coconut) and go for roti prata and some Malay food for sure, like nasi lemak. The CNN guide provides pretty good reference so it's a matter of what you like.

There are two causeways into Malaysia from Singapore. You can take a bus I believe. Where in Malaysia do you wanna go though? 'Cause I would recommend not going to KL at all and spending as little time as possible in Johor Bahru, and going to places like Malacca and the more beach-y places. I heard Penang is awesome but I've never been there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
you're a doll

now Singapore on my bucket list
Yeah definitely go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowchi View Post
I have nothing to add to this thread, but am fapping to this link

Asian food is number 1.
Good taste. I'm obviously not biased at all.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 AM   #17
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anyone live there, or know of any good stuff to do. My 'plan' is to back pack through Asia, but I didn't know Singapore was an island state until I just looked it up. Can I walk across the bridge?

I'm scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
Is Singaporean food a thing? Never heard of, but would love to read further.

Would you care posting a couple links for me to explore, thanks in advance.
Food in Singapore is amazing! You can eat as well, if not better, from hawker centers and street food as from high end restaurants. When we were there we were eating 5 meals a day because we wanted to try everything. You'll be spoiled for choice and flavor. Singapore is an amalgam of many ethnicities and it is absolutely reflected in the food.

Besides what tripwires suggested, I would add Chili Crab, satay, and toast with Kaya. Just eat around the hawker centers and look for the booths with long lines. BTW, even Changi Airport has really good food. There's a shop that sells Hainan chicken rice on the upper level and it's better than any version I've tried outside Singapore.

I'm going to suggest a visit to the Peranakan Museum as a culture stop.

When we were there there were Dragon Boat races. The festival is around June.

I don't know if you're on a budget; we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and it was nice. The Raffles has a little more character, but I've only stayed at their property in Phnom Penh.
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:35 AM   #18
country flag @Sweet Cleopatra

@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute@Sweet Cleopatra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C View Post
When we were there we were eating 5 meals a day because we wanted to try everything.
How can you do that? Do they offer small amounts? How can you eat FIVE meals EACH day?
................♥
..........♥.......... .............................♥ .
...........♥......... ..... ...........♥..♥.....♥....♥
..............♥...... ..... ........♥..........♥.........♥
..♥... ..... .........♥......♥..........♥
..................... ♥.... ...........♥♥........... ♥
..................... ....♥ ........♥♥...♥.....♥
..................... ..... .....♥........... ♥Rafa Fan 4ever
@Sweet Cleopatra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #19
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
http://www.zoo.com.sg/visitor-info/s...o-tickets.html

Ridiculously expensive and you have to pay for other exhibits separately (the pandas, for example, if I'm not wrong). The zoo is nice but overpriced in my opinion.
Everything in Singapore is ridiculously expensive

Quote:
Everyone eats chicken rice, so try that if you're not vegetarian. Laksa is quite Singaporean too (I personally don't like it; it's heavy on coconut) and go for roti prata and some Malay food for sure, like nasi lemak. The CNN guide provides pretty good reference so it's a matter of what you like.
I love Nasi lemak, you should definitely try that Dimitry, the #1 food in Singapore imo. There is a variety of Indian food in Singapore as well, from the North and South.

Tbh, I'm not a big fan of Singaporean food, there are quite a number of good dishes on there but as a whole, I'm not really a fan of tbh.

Peru's food is the best imo, even for a vegetarian like me, I never found it hard to eat there. The corn, the vegetables, everything, there is just so good. You know in Peru, there is a Chinese restaurant which me and my family used to go very often too, the chinese food is far better than the chinese food here, maybe its because they try to mix up Chinese and peruvian food, which is why its much better imo.

Quote:

Is it easy to leave Singapore through to Malaysia? Is their a bridge or something?
I'm not sure about this but just don't go to JB or KL
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
country flag gulzhan

gulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond reputegulzhan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't have paid for it...
I would
gulzhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
How can you do that? Do they offer small amounts? How can you eat FIVE meals EACH day?
I mostly want to taste all the dishes so I don't eat large portions.

However, when I was younger and an active athlete, my body fat % was too low and I was put on a gaining weight diet where I had to eat 5 meals a day.
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
lzhaol

lzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanna warn u.. never ever go to newton circles..lao pa sak to have ur meals.. they really markup their prices

U have been given alot of suggestion but may want to visit sentosa.. garden by e bay... clark quay/boat quay (at night)..
Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #23
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much to everyone

So I wanna see;
- Sentosa (Garden by the bay, Clark Quay)
- Botanic Gardens
- Peranakan Museum
- Dragon Boats (hopefully)

And try the;
- Nasi Lemak
- Chinese Rice
- Chilli Crab
- Toast with Kaya
- Roti Prata

So I think I'll spend like 3 days in Singapore and then head on to Malaysia. Why shouldn't I go to Kuala Lumpur? [Cloren]

I was thinking of making a poll for every decision I face on my travels and letting the forum decide my path and then becoming an internet sensation
Satay

NADAL - MATOSEVIC - BORG
TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - BROWN - NALBANDIAN - WAWRINKA

HINGIS - KOURNIKOVA - DOKIC
DEMENTIEVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - MYSKINA - DAVENPORT - RUBIN
SCHNYDER - HANTUCHOVA - SCHETT - MAURESMO - CLIJSTERS
RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL - KVITOVA - JANKOVIC

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #24
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

I have nothing to add about the thread itself, but interesting discussion. Just wanted to say that every person will say the food from his country is the best of the world. I say the same about portuguese one. Even though, I LOVE italian food. Absolutely despise asian food, sorry.

Sporting Clube de Portugal, Fútbol Club Barcelona, Newcastle United Football Club, FK Vilniaus Žalgiris
Sauletekis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

I like asian food and I would like to travel to Singapore one day.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So I wanna see;
- Botanic Gardens
- Peranakan Museum

And try the;
- Nasi Lemak
- Chinese Rice
- Chilli Crab
- Toast with Kaya
- Roti Prata

So I think I'll spend like 3 days in Singapore and then head on to Malaysia. Why shouldn't I go to Kuala Lumpur? [Cloren]

I was thinking of making a poll for every decision I face on my travels and letting the forum decide my path and then becoming an internet sensation
Satay
I'm kind of exaggerating, it shouldn't be that bad, I just had bad experience there, that's all.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 AM   #27
lzhaol

lzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond reputelzhaol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So I wanna see;
- Botanic Gardens
- Peranakan Museum

And try the;
- Nasi Lemak
- Chinese Rice (can try Maxwell market at Tanjong Pagar, its called Tian Tian chicken rice stall.. u will know there' always a long queue)
- Chilli Crab
- Toast with Kaya (Ya kun)
- Roti Prata (try the one at Roti Prata House located at Upper Thomson Road)
- Claypot Rice (try New Lucky claypot rice at Buona Vista, but actually the standard is good anywhere u can find it)
-Laksa (easily available everywhere)
- Curry Rice (at beach road)

Satay
i don't think u have time to try all e food but here's some recommendation
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #28
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute

End all your sentences with "lah"
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #29
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

I leave on Saturday

I'm very nervous.

NADAL - MATOSEVIC - BORG
TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - BROWN - NALBANDIAN - WAWRINKA

HINGIS - KOURNIKOVA - DOKIC
DEMENTIEVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - MYSKINA - DAVENPORT - RUBIN
SCHNYDER - HANTUCHOVA - SCHETT - MAURESMO - CLIJSTERS
RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL - KVITOVA - JANKOVIC

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #30
country flag Cloren

Quote:
I leave on Saturday

I'm very nervous.
Nothing to be nervous about m8. It's beautiful country and it's very safe, so you don't have to be worried about safety issues. Just keep note of whatever everyone told you on here. Especially the Singlish words

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.