Gulbis incurs the wrath of Stephanie Myles. - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #106
country flag zebez20

zebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gulbis incurs the wrath of Stephanie Myles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
So give them, it's hardly off-topic. I'm all ears. How are men more on the receiving end of sexism?
I never said they were more on the end by the way, I just said I didn't feel women are more on the end either.

Okay I can give you facts. I will then give you or someone else time for a rebuttle so we can continue the discussion.

Paternity Fraud- 1 in 10 children are not the child of the man who appears on there birth certificate, there is a presumption in law that automatically makes you the father, you cannot even get a DNA test without the mothers permission (which makes it very difficult when in divorce). Ultimately this means the man has to pay child support for a child that is not his, child support can be so great that men have lost homes over it and gone to prison for refusing to pay it.

Family Courts- Men married or not have no legal right to see their children. Women initiate divorce 75% of the time (in the US) and receive sole custody 71% of the time. One of the reasons that can be used is domestic violence, women initiate domestic violence as often as men and domestic violence is often not taken seriously against men even though women are more likely to use a weapon.

The Army- Women are paid the same as men in the army, they even get free breast implants and child care. Women are not put in the front line in war, in addition women are on average weaker this is due to reduced requirements to enter the army for women.

Another example is the fact that during breast cancer awareness week women are given free breast exams, men who think they may have breast cancer are not given the same exams just because they are male.

Last edited by zebez20 : 05-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.
zebez20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #107
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, won't touch that BS. Facts my ass.
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #108
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
at people not even seeing the wrong of what Gulbis says. That quote seems taken right from 19th century. Don't you realize that you could say the same about ANY type of professional commitment? So it would mean that the fate of women would be to raise children and occasionally exercise a recreational / socializing job? Nice society indeed...
Obviously. The fact that people here can claim it's "feminist making a fuss for nothing" just shows how necessary feminism STILL is today.

I don't even feel like discussing it really, because it should be so obvious why these comments are offensive.

What I really liked was Gulbis's idea of "enjoying life" for a woman: apparently, it's "enjoying life" as in "taking care of the kids and doing housework", apparently.
But not as in "deciding what you want to do with your own life", obviously (BTW, that was a rather good definition of feminism, for those who don't have a clue).
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #109
country flag zebez20

zebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond reputezebez20 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
Obviously. The fact that people here can claim it's "feminist making a fuss for nothing" just shows how necessary feminism STILL is today.

I don't even feel like discussing it really, because it should be so obvious why these comments are offensive.

What I really liked was Gulbis's idea of "enjoying life" for a woman: apparently, it's "enjoying life" as in "taking care of the kids and doing housework", apparently.

But not as in "deciding what you want to do with your own life", obviously (BTW, that was a rather good definition of feminism, for those who don't have a clue).
I don't think that's what people are arguing, obviously what Gulbis said was stupid, but it isn't news what Gulbis says in a second language In regards I his sister. I don't think anyone is suggesting that women should should just be housewives and that shouldn't just be there goal in life but making a massive story about why Gulbis said is a bit over the top.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkChan View Post
I hope it's just because of the hot weather because if Djokovic plays like this in the final he will be slayed...
MarkChan, the undercover Nadal fan, shhh don't tell anyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Fool View Post
He might win RG but winning Wimbeldon 7 times is not happening.
Talking about Federer. How wrong you were.
zebez20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #110
country flag nom_nom

nom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond reputenom_nom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva-rafa View Post
I'm a woman who places great value in family. And I also believe that women create societies, and their priority should be keeping their homes intact in order to create a stable society at large. And of course it doesn't mean that men shouldn't have any responsibility toward family.
But here's the thing, it doesn't mean that a woman can't have family or can't enjoy life while playing tennis. May be it's tennis that gives them enjoyment. You can't say that all those girls who are in WTA don't enjoy their lives. It's not like you can't quit, if you don't like it.
Furthermore, you can't play tennis forever. There's still time to start a family afterwards. You can have kids and still have an excellent career; Kim Clijsters comes to mind. You can still have a husband. Many women players have husbands. Li Na seems to be pretty happy.
May be Gulbis doesn't want tennis life for his sister. May be he knows that his sisters won't enjoy this life, and he knows their priorities. But his comments seemed to be generalized toward all women. In addition, he has a history of making really obnoxious comments. It's hard to not see him as sexist.
this. especially the bolded part
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #111
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva-rafa View Post
I'm a woman who places great value in family. And I also believe that women create societies, and their priority should be keeping their homes intact in order to create a stable society at large. And of course it doesn't mean that men shouldn't have any responsibility toward family.
But here's the thing, it doesn't mean that a woman can't have family or can't enjoy life while playing tennis. May be it's tennis that gives them enjoyment. You can't say that all those girls who are in WTA don't enjoy their lives. It's not like you can't quit, if you don't like it.
Furthermore, you can't play tennis forever. There's still time to start a family afterwards. You can have kids and still have an excellent career; Kim Clijsters comes to mind. You can still have a husband. Many women players have husbands. Li Na seems to be pretty happy.
May be Gulbis doesn't want tennis life for his sister. May be he knows that his sisters won't enjoy this life, and he knows their priorities. But his comments seemed to be generalized toward all women. In addition, he has a history of making really obnoxious comments. It's hard to not see him as sexist.
Great post.

The reality is that women suffer from a lot of sexism directed toward them.

Currently supporting whoever entertains me.
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #112
country flag Sillyrabbit

Sillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond reputeSillyrabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Gulbis is an idiot and of course this is further evidence to prove it. The thing is, for most tennis players, a decline starts happening at late 20s to early 30s anyways, an age which is actually a perfect time to settle down and have a family, so you can have a viable tennis career and settle down for a family if you so wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun View Post
Half of the people here seem to agree with those claims.

Frightening.
Do you read this place? It should never be used as a gauge for sensible opinions considering it seems half of the people here seem very "special" to put it mildly.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #113
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
What exactly does it have to with feminism? It's a tabloid way of making a controversial headline out of nothing whatsoever. Why would anyone with a brain eat it up and spread the non-existent controversy to forums and such is the real question.

To sum up what was actually said. Gulbis wouldn't advise his sisters to become pros, doesn't think it's a good life for a woman. It appears one of them disagrees and might try it nevertheless. Big story, no.
This.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #114
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebez20 View Post
I actually agree with you, but I realised at the moment that is not an option for a man because of social perception. I was with a group of my friends 2 of which were girls, one of there friends is married and the man is a househusband, the women called him lazy good for nothing and were discussing that she should get a divorce. On the other hand when people talk about housewives they call it 'the hardest job on earth', social perception needs to change for that to become an option.
No! When more men being the caregiver while women as breadmaker in the family, the social perception will change.

Waiting for things to happen won't make it happen.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #115
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Stephanie Myles is one of the worst Tennis Journalists I've encountered.
Agreed, she's an absolute hack.

Hopefully with the rise of tennis in Canada with recent successes and exposure, it will also bring real, professional and credible journalists to the sport.
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #116
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by green25814 View Post
To be fair, he doesn't say that women should be prevented from making these choices. He's just saying he doesn't think they should do it. Nothing wrong with that unless you force people to accept your opinion.
this is so dumb. Only about 0.00001 % of the people in this world have the power to "force" anything. So if 1,000,000 people want to march in the streets saying blacks should go back to being slaves or women should be the property of their husband/father, then you think that would be okay because they aren't Obama or Putin and can't "force" anything? Opinions matter; to allow an opinion to go unchallenged and gain momentum can lead to dreadful public policies (made by those who do have the power to 'force' things on people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
No! When more men being the caregiver while women as breadmaker in the family, the social perception will change.

Waiting for things to happen won't make it happen.
yep, everyone is waiting for "someone else" to make change, and meanwhile criticizing those who are putting themselves out there on the front lines and actually doing something (i.e. those speaking out against sexism).
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #117
country flag LatWeN Trash

LatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
Opinions matter; to allow an opinion to go unchallenged and gain momentum can lead to dreadful public policies (made by those who do have the power to 'force' things on people).

yep, everyone is waiting for "someone else" to make change, and meanwhile criticizing those who are putting themselves out there on the front lines and actually doing something (i.e. those speaking out against sexism).
what a totalitarian mindset you've got -all the typical nazi mobbing talk about 'allowing an opinion to go unchallenged'

it's sad that we've got to talk about sexism in context of one of the most honest and non conformist players of current top 20
-i guess if George Carlin would reborn today and find some elite tennis talent within his body you'd have to hang yourself because of such a huge amount of politically incorrect public speach

http://s13.postimg.org/g7kjmzpx3/image.gif
LatWeN Trash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #118
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatWeN Trash View Post
what a totalitarian mindset you've got -all the typical nazi mobbing talk about 'allowing an opinion to go unchallenged'

it's sad that we've got to talk about sexism in context of one of the most honest and non conformist players of current top 20
-i guess if George Carlin would reborn today and find some elite tennis talent within his body you'd have to hang yourself because of such a huge amount of politically incorrect public speach
I would respond but I literally have no clue what you are trying to say.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #119
country flag LatWeN Trash

LatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond reputeLatWeN Trash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
I would respond but I literally have no clue what you are trying to say.

beg a pardon for my heavy LatWeN accent

there were 2 opinions i voiced

1st -quote about opinions going unchallenged IMO is one of the best symptoms of proud member of totalitarian community -because in most cases when opinions are being challenged it has nothing to do with actual content of an opinion -and it's a sad day for humanity when a guy gets a sexist label just because of his eastern europian background

2nd if there is some thing i value in sportsman (or in any public figure in general) outside his game and overall talent -it's talent to represent his own personality and voice his own opinions -because for the most part it is the context not numbers in win column what makes us remember certain players or personalities
-in a world where every top athlete seems to have personality made after same pattern over and over again Ernests Gulbis seems to represent different world view -and if his limited english is able to get such a huge amount of knee jerk boos it's tough to imagine what would happen with general public if he'd trade place with George Carlin who was well known for pointing out uncomfortable truths in excellent english

i beg a huge pardon if my opinion insulted anyone who's actually a decent human being

http://s13.postimg.org/g7kjmzpx3/image.gif
LatWeN Trash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #120
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterIsComing View Post
at people not even seeing the wrong of what Gulbis says. That quote seems taken right from 19th century. Don't you realize that you could say the same about ANY type of professional commitment? So it would mean that the fate of women would be to raise children and occasionally exercise a recreational / socializing job? Nice society indeed...
Spending time with your children and not being a wage slave at some soulless corporation or government bureaucracy sounds like hell. Haven't we progressed beyond the idea that it is in loving relationships with other people that we find fulfillment and meaning? Climbing the corporate ladder is essential in the pursuit of happiness.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote