Better Career: Stepanek or Canas? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #1
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Better Career: Stepanek or Canas?

I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be a tennis coach at a medium-sized public university. We are both interested in career stats. Talk got around to Radek Stepanek and Guillermo Canas. In the discussion of who was better (Stepanek of course has not finished his career while Canas has), my friend thinks longevity of career is the most important factor in determining this. Okay, Stepanek has played longer, and his lifetime winning percentage is .566 (354-271). But in this longer career he has won only 5 titles and has not held his own (for the most part) in head to head match-ups against some of the top players. Canas had a shorter career, with the nearly same winning percentage as Stepanek, .564 (252-195). But in his shorter career relative to Stepanek, Canas won more titles (7), and produced some impressive head-to-head match-ups with good players (for example, going 3-3 lifetime against Federer; he was .500 against Federer both before and after the doping incident, so this didn't play a part either way). I acknowledged also that Canas missed two years of play because of a doping scandal for which he was later exonerated. But this absence from the game clearly kept his lifetime stats down, although some who do not believe his innocence say his career stats were inflated because of performance-enhancing drugs, although such drugs were never found. Interestingly, both players reached the same career high world ranking of 8 (Canas in 2005, Stepanek in 2006). And Canas won the lifetime h2h against Stepanek, 2-1.

I am inclined to believe that Canas was the better player, but a case could certainly be made for Stepanek. It is pretty close.

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Philipp "Pic" Kohlschreiber

Jürgen Zopp

Last edited by jjc225 : 05-18-2014 at 02:55 AM.
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better Career: Stepanek or Canas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc225 View Post
I was talking with a friend of mine who happens to be a tennis coach at a medium-sized public university. We are both interested in career stats. Talk got around to Radek Stepanek and Guillermo Canas. In the discussion of who was better (Stepanek of course has not finished his career while Canas has), my friend thinks longevity of career is the most important factor in determining this. Okay, Stepanek has played longer, and his lifetime winning percentage is .566 (354-271). But in this longer career he has won only 5 titles and has not held his own (for the most part) in head to head math-ups against some of the top players. Canas had a shorter career, with the nearly same winning percentage as Stepanek, .564 (252-195). But in his shorter career relative to Stepanek, Canas won more titles (7), and produced some impressive head-to-head match-ups with good players (for example, going 3-3 lifetime against Federer; he was .500 against Federer both before and after the doping incident, so this didn't play a part either way). I acknowledged also that Canas missed two years of play because of a doping scandal for which he was later exonerated. But this absence from the game clearly kept his lifetime stats down, although some who do not believe his innocence say his career stats were inflated because of performance-enhancing drugs, although such drugs were never found. Interestingly, both players reached the same career high world ranking of 8 (Canas in 2005, Stepanek in 2006). And Canas won the lifetime h2h against Stepanek, 2-1.

I am inclined to believe that Canas was the better player, but a case could certainly be made for Stepanek. It is pretty close.
When he was at his peak he was unfairly banned as you pointed out and he also missed some of his best years due to injuries. He still managed to win more titles and had a spectacular run to win Toronto 2002, beating like four #1 players. So I go with Cañas.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
country flag Pangloss

Pangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond reputePangloss has a reputation beyond repute

Steps.

Ferrer • Murray • del Potro • Tsonga • Raonic • Haas • Kohlschreiber • Verdasco • Monfils
Pangloss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
country flag Supernovarg

Supernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond reputeSupernovarg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I acknowledged also that Canas missed two years of play because of a doping scandal for which he was later exonerated.
Cañas wasn't exonerated. He was suspended for two years and later the ban was reduced to 15 months.

ITF DECISION
Supernovarg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernovarg View Post
Cañas wasn't exonerated. He was suspended for two years and later the ban was reduced to 15 months.

ITF DECISION
I think he was exonerated. He appealed his ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and he was acquitted of deliberate performance enhancement through use of illegal substances, and his money prizes previously taken from him were restored. He claims to have taken a prescription drug which contained hydrochlorothiazide, which is itself not a performance-enhancing substance but which is known to mask others. So I think technically he was cleared of any illegalities, although his points could not be restored because he missed too much time and had to rebuild his ranking through challengers and so forth. And when he got back into action he did rebuild his ranking pretty quickly.

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Jürgen Zopp
Old 05-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #6
country flag blueclay
Banned!

blueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond reputeblueclay has a reputation beyond repute

Cañas destroyed peak fraud back to back. So the answer is there.
blueclay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
country flag Julián Santiago

Julián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond repute

Cañas has more impressive achievements. Steps is a more complete player (with a lot of sucess in doubles) and has a more stable and long-term career but for me it´s clear that Cañas has the edge here

Isner, Youznhy, Melzer, Verdasco, Bennetteau, Nieminen, Davydenko, Berlocq, Llodra, Stepanek, Hewitt, Carreño Busta, Fish, Lorenzi, Mahut, Mathieu, Blake, Becker, R. Ram, Ramírez Hidalgo, Karlovic, Chiudinelli, Petzchner.Tsonga, Wawrinka, Raonic, Tipsarevic, Robredo, Hanescu, Montañes, Sijsling, Kubot, F. López, Tursunov, Roger-Vasselin, Mannarino, , Pospisil, Stakhosvky, Gicquel, Hayek, Golubev, Dolgopolov, Kukushkhin, Rochus, Zverev, Ignatik, Phau, Ginepri, Guccione, Riba, Starace

Nestor, Mirnyi, Zimonjic, Marc López, Marach, Peya, Paes, Melo, Soares, Rojer, Marrero, Huey, Inglot, Lipsky, Fleming, Knowle, Sá, Marray, Nielsen, Hanley, Cermak, Dlouhy, Cabal, Farah, Bracciali, Butorac.
Julián Santiago is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 AM   #8
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

I think your career of writing serious walls of text ultimately eclipses both of theirs.
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
country flag jjc225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz78 View Post
I think your career of writing serious walls of text ultimately eclipses both of theirs.
Fair enough. I should post a pic or gif of Anna Semenovich to celebrate, but there is time for that later.

Edit: How do you type the Spanish enye here? Or is it best to copy and paste from someone who has spelled Canas' name correctly?

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Jürgen Zopp

Last edited by jjc225 : 05-18-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
country flag Juz78

Juz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond reputeJuz78 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fair enough. I should post a pic or gif of Anna Semenovich to celebrate, but there is time for that later.
No. We want Anna Semenovich NOW!
Juz78 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #11
country flag jjc225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz78 View Post
No. We want Anna Semenovich NOW!
Well, here's one of my favorites:

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Jürgen Zopp
Old 05-18-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see .... Hingis. Vaidasova, Kvitova ... Stepanek clearly has had his ups and down. His career is filled with great move followed by big mistake. But he certainly knows how to go out with a bang

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #13
country flag Julián Santiago

Julián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Edit: How do you type the Spanish enye here? Or is it best to copy and paste from someone who has spelled Canas' name correctly?
Anna

And for your question about the letter Ñ.

I`ve got a keyboard with the "enye" or "enie", but back in the nineties we used to have the english keyboards, so if I`m not mistaken I think you can produce and ñ using Alt + 164

Isner, Youznhy, Melzer, Verdasco, Bennetteau, Nieminen, Davydenko, Berlocq, Llodra, Stepanek, Hewitt, Carreño Busta, Fish, Lorenzi, Mahut, Mathieu, Blake, Becker, R. Ram, Ramírez Hidalgo, Karlovic, Chiudinelli, Petzchner.Tsonga, Wawrinka, Raonic, Tipsarevic, Robredo, Hanescu, Montañes, Sijsling, Kubot, F. López, Tursunov, Roger-Vasselin, Mannarino, , Pospisil, Stakhosvky, Gicquel, Hayek, Golubev, Dolgopolov, Kukushkhin, Rochus, Zverev, Ignatik, Phau, Ginepri, Guccione, Riba, Starace

Nestor, Mirnyi, Zimonjic, Marc López, Marach, Peya, Paes, Melo, Soares, Rojer, Marrero, Huey, Inglot, Lipsky, Fleming, Knowle, Sá, Marray, Nielsen, Hanley, Cermak, Dlouhy, Cabal, Farah, Bracciali, Butorac.
Julián Santiago is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #14
country flag jjc225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julián Santiago View Post
Anna

And for your question about the letter Ñ.

I`ve got a keyboard with the "enye" or "enie", but back in the nineties we used to have the english keyboards, so if I`m not mistaken I think you can produce and ñ using Alt + 164
Thanks, I'll try it right now. Nope, didn't work. I'll just cut and paste from someone who has posted the name correctly. Wait, I can cut and paste the enye you posted, so now I'll try it. Cañas. Yes, it worked!

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Jürgen Zopp
Old 05-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
country flag VamosHoracio

VamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond reputeVamosHoracio has a reputation beyond repute

Cañas was better. Unless (1) you count doubles, which I don't or (2) Stepanek comes out of nowhere to win Wimbledon next month.