Sampras: "I had a terrible fear of failure. It was the fear of failure that drove me" - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #31
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I had a terrible fear of failure. It was the fear of failure that drove

Yes, I think many great champions had similar motivations - McEnroe, Nadal, Connors, Gonzales. Others - Federer, Laver for example - not so much. It's interesting that the players who most feared failure tend to be those most celebrated for their mental strength. In that context, I wonder what Borg's primary motivation was.
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #32
country flag sco

sco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond reputesco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sampras: "I had a terrible fear of failure. It was the fear of failure that drove

How different the Sampras and Fed quotes are - one had a terrible fear of failure - one plays for the fans/enjoyment. Wonder if the motivation affects how long they eventually play - fear must be wearing on the body/mind.
sco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

You never know what's really going on in their head and all we have to go on are these quotes and their body language after losses and in pressers.

What's obvious is that they both have/had an insatiable desire to win. I feel Sampras could have went on for a couple more years as a solid top 10 player after that USO win, and may have done so had he not won that Final. But judging by these quotes, he made the best decision for himself. Fed on the other hand, seems to allow his enjoyment of the game to override his fear of failure and plays through the pain of losing more often than he's used to for the sake of Tennis.

Gotta respect Fed for that. This legacy business that everyone throws about, basically telling the guy to retire to save his legacy, is complete bullcrap salad.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
country flag JamieBlake

JamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond reputeJamieBlake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
This explains why Fedal >>>>>> Sampster.
Nadal also has a terrible fear of failure, I know that and I'm not even a fan SMH. And I don't really believe Fed when he says he plays for the fans/enjoyment, at all.

HATE LIST: Uncle Twatni
JamieBlake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

I think that they all have fear. I honestly don't think that you can compete at a high level if you don't have fear.

It's what you do with that fear, how you cope with it, that makes the difference.

Some people freeze under pressure, the fear of failure will block them. Some won't even bother trying properly because it gives them the excuse to write off a loss to "I wasn't really trying anyway". It takes more courage to confront your fear and still try hard.

You can also see it in exams at school: some just freeze up and just can't cope but others need the fear because it motivates them to work harder.

I also don't think that playing for the fans is enough. Somebody like Hewitt strikes me as a person who continues for himself, because he loves the game, he loves being a professional player. You can't continue to fight the results of getting older, physical worries, tough training schedules just because of the fans. You do it because of you in the first place. I view Federer in the same category. Sure, I can see why fans make it easier to continue to fight but in the first place, he's continuing for himself.

Last edited by Castafiore : 04-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

I see my comment caused quite a stir in this thread
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #37
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
You never know what's really going on in their head and all we have to go on are these quotes and their body language after losses and in pressers.

What's obvious is that they both have/had an insatiable desire to win. I feel Sampras could have went on for a couple more years as a solid top 10 player after that USO win, and may have done so had he not won that Final. But judging by these quotes, he made the best decision for himself. Fed on the other hand, seems to allow his enjoyment of the game to override his fear of failure and plays through the pain of losing more often than he's used to for the sake of Tennis.

Gotta respect Fed for that. This legacy business that everyone throws about, basically telling the guy to retire to save his legacy, is complete bullcrap salad.
I think Federer had just as much fear of losing as Pete did, until recently. When Pete retired his body was in bad shape and he was the Slam leader, with no active player close, so did not want to go through the pain of playing longer. Today, Roger has nothing to prove, so can enjoy the game more without winning slams. Also, Rafa is getting close to his slam count and Roger hopes to win another to make it harder for Rafa to catch him.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond reputethrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
I see my comment caused quite a stir in this thread
That is because it was so incredibly ridiculous and stupid!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #39
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargif View Post
One could say the same about Federer and Nadal right?.

At least Pete is man enough to admit it. Now Fed and his tards are in denial.
Ever thought you should wait until an equivalent amount of time has passed after Fed retires before throwing that aspersion at him. Pete admitted it when? 11 years after his retirement

PS. And what if it isn't the case for Fed. Should he admit to something that hasn't been a factor for him just to satisfy you? I think not

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"

Last edited by barbadosan : 04-09-2014 at 04:57 PM.
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #40
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

I wish this was the case for me...
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote