Dominic Thiem - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #121
country flag Gliese581

Gliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond reputeGliese581 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dominic Thiem

getshrough in straights. gets a well deserved and certainly needed rest tomorrow. 1 match away from a match with ernie
Gliese581 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #122
country flag ViennaCalling
Team Thiem

ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute

Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsManana View Post
Balls of steel, this Dominic of Lichtenworth.
ViennaCalling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #123
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Match report from here

Quote:
The highlight of the day was watching Dominic Thiem take down Lukas Rosol on grandstand. Thiem is the youngest player in the top hundred and he’s qualified at five out of six ATP events this year. This is the first time I ever saw him play live and boy was I impressed.

Thiem was broken in the first game but rebounded. At 3-all I told Hirono that Thiem was going to win. You could see he was beginning to get his feel, he has more shots more variety than Rosol. He won the tiebreaker and then got the break in the second to win 76 64. Gulbis showed up at 4-3 in the second, wearing a NJ Nets baseball hat. Thiem closed the show in style for his pal and his team, not letting Rosol, age 28, mount any kind of comeback. I really liked how mature Thiem plays and conducts himself like a champion. When he gets frustrated and angry at himself, he expresses it in silence, like yelling or talking to himself in mute. And when he does it, it’s done in a gentle nice way.

Even though this is still only Thiem’s first year on the ATP Tour, he plays and carries himself like a veteran. Very poised, focused, smooth, power, changes speeds, spins, net clearance height, can volley and his one hand backhand is beautiful to watch. Also his serve has pop. The sky’s the limit for this young Austrian. We did a Biofile after and it was just a classic, which I’m sure you all will instantly become a fan of him after you read it or see him play live.

Thiem’s next match will be against Tommy Robredo.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #124
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

practicing with Federer

J. Isner | J. Sock | D.Y. | R. Harrison | C. Harrison | D. Kudla | S. Querrey | S. Johnson | R. Williams

J. Donaldson | N. Rubin | S. Kozlov | B. Kozlov | F. Tiafoe | M. Mmoh | T. Harry Fritz | A. Fenty
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #125
Team Thiem

ViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond reputeViennaCalling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #126
country flag rus59

rus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond reputerus59 has a reputation beyond repute

^^Future GOAT and GOAT.
rus59 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #127
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

On twitter I found an interview with Dominic and made a translation into English of it. For those of you who know German here is the interview, for the others is here the translation.

Dominic Thiem exclusively: "It would be bad, if nobody expected anything"
Youngster Dominic Thiem looks back in the tennisnet.com-Interview on his strong beginning of the season and looks ahead on the Davis Cup.

Dominic, congratulations to your recent successes and welcome back at home! What is the most important insight after five weeks in the USA?
The most important is that I know I belong up there. At the beginning of the year I thought I am a guest on the ATP-Tour. Now I arrived there. Even when it won't go that well all the time and I will have to play Challengers again at some point.
Was there a turning point? A match that was very important for this feeling to have arrived?
The most crucial point was surely in Vienna the match against Tsonga. For my confidence that one was the most important match. The next big step will be to learn to cope better with these big tournaments.
What do you mean with "to cope better"?
On this level everything is new for me, extremely exciting, and a dream that I am actually able to participate there. But the demands are completely different than on a Challenger. Especially concentration-wise. During a match you have to be always completely focused, you aren't allowed anymore to have a blackout. And also everything else and the tension. You never really calm down at such a tournament, also when you don't play. Also, I was surprised a bit how much it wears out to play the quali. You have to win two or three hard matches, and then the tournament only starts. But certainly I will get used to it as well. I recall it was the same at the beginning at the Futures, that everything was incredibly exhausting for me.
You decided after the Australian Open to not play the Challengers, but the ATP-Tour-tournaments. A tackle of the Top 100 through the front door, in all openness. How big was the risk?
Probably I could have got more and easier points on the Challenger tour. Surely it was a risk to go immediately on the big tour. I could have lost in Rotterdam against de Schepper, then versus Nieminen. And before that Cecchinato in Doha and de Voest in Melbourne, you easily forget how close those matches were. Against de Voest I got the rebreak in the third set with a forehand slice passing shot. That doesn't have to work always. (laughs)
On the Tour there are of course also new practice partners, for example Roger Federer in Miami. What was it like?
Of course it's something special, just because of the atmosphere on the court. When you practice with him there are 500 people at the court and watch it, that's more than at many matches on the Tour. We hit for one hour, then played a few games and chatted about the next tournaments and the Davis Cup. He's simply incredibly nice.
Is he your biggest idol?
It's insanity what he achieved and how he now fought back and how much he did for the sport. But I don't want to call him idol. I can't say he is my idol and then maybe I play in three weeks against him. No, there are no idols anymore.
After all you gained 112 ATP-points at three tournaments, and still more would have been possible. How much do the avoidable losses against David Goffin, Julien Benneteau and Tommy Robredo annoy you?
I was the most annoyed about the loss versus Goffin in Acapulco. I couldn't get this loss off my mind for four or five days. I was of no use. Actually, this is something I still have to learn, that I'm not absorbed that much after a loss. Often I'm of no use for three days. I have to learn that, because only one of 32 players doesn't lose a match in the week. From that sight tennis player is no nice job. (laughs)
Against Benneteau...
...I was annoyed about my bad performance. Against Robredo that wasn't that bad. My performance was ok there. He's not by accident the number 17, he's a great player. When I, as a 20-year-old, who is somewhere around number 80, say I have to win against him, that would be nonsense.
You dominated versus Robredo most of the time and led in the second set clearly, you had close sets against Tsonga and Murray. What's missing that you win such matches?
Well, I don't stress myself there. Surely I will lose often in my career versus Top-Ten or Top-20-players. But I will also beat them. This is also an aspect you have to get used to, to play against those absolute top players. This is not because of respect of the names, but because they simply play super tennis and you have to play better to beat them.
You started the year as number 139 in the Ranking, next Monday you will be for the first time in the Top 80. Are you yourself surprised how fast you advanced? Did you dream of such a start of the season?
Of course you couldn't expect that. Before I traveled to Doha to play the quali, I thought it can happen that I lose three times in the quali and don't win anything. Like I said earlier, it was a risk, but because of that I can be even more proud it worked out through the front door, on the hard way.
The Top 80 may not yet reflect your current level. Where do you see yourself considering your performances?
No, no, it's ok that way. In the last three months I played really constant, I wouldn't have thought I am able of this consistency. I won all matches I should have won because of my ranking, and also many matches against players above me. But like I said before, with a bit of bad luck this could have gone the other way as well. You must not forget, all of them are super players, a Baghdatis for example is number 140.
Your three goals for this year were to be in the main draws of Paris, Kitzbühel and Vienna without the need of qualis or wild cards. The first goal was reached easily, and for the second the prospects are very well. Wouldn't it be the time to define new goals? Where do you want to be at the end of the year?
I don't like this calling of ranking goals. I rate tournaments higher. And there I still didn't have the breakthrough. There I only showed a bit of my potential. Quarterfinal in Indian Wells for example, this would have been something, but I still didn't achieve such a great result, something like winning a 250-tournament .
So you really think to be able to win a 250-tournament?
Yes. But I am still also able to lose there in the quali.
How do you cope with the big popularity you now have, and with the international attention?
I still didn't sense that much of the popularity, actually only on facebook. There were extremely many messages and postings and all extremely nice. This appreciation means a lot to me.
Isn't that also pressure? The fans expect more of you now.
I don't sense that as pressure. Actually I like it. Of course I will be nervous at the Davis Cup or in Kitzbühel or in Vienna. But the people only expect something of you when you play good. That's more my point of view. Since I was ten years old I worked to be a good tennis player. Now I start to be one. So that is great. I don't want to complain now that somebody expects something. It would be bad if nobody expected anything! (laughs)
Let's be honest: How nervous do you get with the thought in mind to debut in 10 days in Bratislava in Davis Cup, and this immediately as number 1 who is expected to deliver the points?
Currently not at all. Now I'm really excited about the Davis Cup, about the athmosphere, surely there will be also many fans from Austria. And I am really excited about playing in a team. Usually you only play for yourself. Certainly I will be extremely nervous on Friday, but I'm sure the Austrian fans will help us to win that tie and be able to play the relegation matches in fall. I would like to have an atmosphere similar to the one at the Tsonga-match in Vienna also at a Davis Cup. Actually we have a great team with Jürgen Melzer, Andreas Haider-Maurer and myself, with Alexander Peya and the other world class players in the doubles ranking, and also behind them some players show a great development. I really want to see a new tennis euphoria in Austria. And there is this opportunity.
You already beat the Slovak single players Martin Kližan and Lukaš Lacko. Does this fact make it easier for you?
That's not important. When I play well, I can beat both. When I don't play well, I don't have a chance. We have to wait and see how I cope with that, also with Best-of-Five, that's still quite new for me.
What do you think yourself, what will turn Dominic Thiem into a good Davis Cup player?
I don't know if I become that. I can only try to do that. Also it can take some time to player good matches in Davis Cup. Experience is a big part of Davis Cup, and I still can't have that. But Davis Cup is cool.
As last question of many fans: What's the joke with your cheering "Bamos" instead of "Vamos"?
(laughs) Nothing special. Everybody says "Vamos", so we started in my quarter at one point to say "Bamos". And then we sticked to that. I heard kids start to say that now at youth tournaments, I like that very much.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #128
Team Thiem

Another interview with Dominic

Only in german, sorry.

http://derstandard.at/1395363575561/...ottesgeschenke

Quote:
Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #129
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

Dominic Thiem schedule until Roland Garros:

-> Davis Cup in Bratislava against Slovakia.
-> Qualies in Monte Carlo (ATP Masters 1000).
-> Qualies in Barcelona (ATP 500)
-> Qualies in Madrid (ATP Masters 1000).
-> Qualies in Rome (ATP Masters 1000).
-> Probably Main Draw in Nice.

https://www.facebook.com/1.Dominic.T...?stream_ref=10

I like his ambition, he told in his Facebook account that he feels like he is ready for big challenges. He is going through the tough way but that will bring him more experience as a player. Qualies in the three Masters 1000 events can be tricky but the qualies in Barcelona should be a lock. I am looking forward to see him playing in live.

Bamos!
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee

Last edited by VamosRafaNadal : 03-31-2014 at 08:02 PM.
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #130
Team Thiem

Dominic will play his first Davis Cup match tomorrow at 2 PM CET against Norbert Gombos (ATP #164).
ORF Sport + will show it live.

Winnable
Good luck

Quote:
Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #131
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Gombos? Thought it would be Klizan or Lacko. Good luck, Dom
vBookie net amount won: 31401 (2014: +24706, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 109 (high 90), TT doubles rank 63 (high 63).
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #132
country flag Pablo23

Pablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond repute

well, not exactly the best début ever. Quite disappointing, but these things happen. So, it's Monte Carlo next for Domi.

Roger Federer - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Lleyton Hewitt - Dominic Thiem - David Goffin

TT Singles [Rank: #119 / Best Rank: #119] [ Titles: - ] [ Finals: ATP Bastad '14 - Kaohsiung 14' ]
TT Doubles [Rank: #140 / Best Rank: #137] [ Titles: León '14 ] [ Finals: New Delhi - Busan - Pune 14' ] --> with MachineGun

ST [Rank: #64 / Best Rank: #64] [Titles: Kuala Lumpur 14' - M1000 Shanghai 14' ]
Pablo23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #133
Team Thiem

He got a MD WC for Monte Carlo

Good draw as well, 1st round Mahut (FRA), 2nd round maybe Almagro who still plays SF in Houston tonight.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #134
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

That's a quite good draw Mahut is not very fond of clay and not in really good form atm. Let's hope Dom can win that one
vBookie net amount won: 31401 (2014: +24706, 2013: +6795, 2012: -100)
TT singles rank 109 (high 90), TT doubles rank 63 (high 63).
Detailed Tennis Tipping and DTT results

Member of Tennis Tipping board and Suicide Tennis board
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #135
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters

(3) Stanislas Wawrinka v BYE
Marin Čilić v Fernando Verdasco
Nicolas Mahut v (WC) Dominic Thiem
(15) Nicolás Almagro v Q
(11) Tommy Robredo v Q
Julien Benneteau v Jürgen Melzer
Federico Delbonis v Lu Yen-hsun
BYE v (8) Milos Raonic

J. Isner | J. Sock | D.Y. | R. Harrison | C. Harrison | D. Kudla | S. Querrey | S. Johnson | R. Williams

J. Donaldson | N. Rubin | S. Kozlov | B. Kozlov | F. Tiafoe | M. Mmoh | T. Harry Fritz | A. Fenty
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote