Rafa Chat Thread - Vol. 81 - Page 47 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #691
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafa Recovery Chat Thread - Vol. 81

McConaughey and Leto totally deserved their Oscars this year, McConaughey becoming a serious actor - .
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #692
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's another problem I have with awarding acting Oscars. In the last years it's enough to undergo a physical transformation (usually beautiful => ugly) or to play a real person to get the award. The supporting category has become a much more correct indication of actually acting prowess than the main acting category.

In all fairness, Glory was Denzel 2nd nomination, the 1st one was also in supporting and it was in an anti-apartheid movie about a slain black activist and in 1987 and we couldn't upset South Africa,could we? His biggest roles just came after that and he was overlooked because surprise, surprise, in 1993 it was Al Pacino's year to get his "consolation " Oscar for a performance Who ever saw the Italian original of Scent of a Woman knows what I'm talking about
In 2000 he wasn't even favorite, the favorite was Russel Crowe but he didn't get it because he won it the previous year
I personally loved his performance in Training Day, it was nice to see a black actor of such stature to play an evil to the core character like that. These days they are so PC, they are afraid they could be seen as racist or something.
I think his role in Flight was very good too, he lost to DDL but no one touched DDL that year because 1. acting of a real person and 2. well, DDL

Another problem I have with acting Oscars: where are the awarding comedy roles? Poor Annette Benning, which is a very fine actress, loses twice to Hillary Who? Swank because she dies two gruesome deaths
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #693
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

The Golden Globes do that better: they have an award for "best drama" but also for "best musical or comedy".

I haven't seen the movie but I'm quite happy with McConathingy getting the Oscar. He hasn't followed the typical path of an award-winning actor and has taken on daft and silly roles in the past. I saw Mud last year and I like that one. I hope that he won't take himself too seriously now. He should keep on mixing up various movie styles. I also saw that movie on tv featuring a bunch of male strippers so you mostly see Matthew with his shirt off and yet, he gives a nuanced and interesting performance. I like the variety in his career. Plus, I like that Southern twang in his English.

Leto, I do hope that his long hair is for a movie because it's not a good look for him IMO.

Edit:
While I'm at it , just saw the video with John Travolta. A bit too much plastic surgery perhaps? His face looks weird, like a mask + he needs to colour his hair in a lighter shade.
...or is he doing a biopic on Berlusconi perhaps, because the resemblance is there!

Edit 2:
Kim Novak. Gorgeous lady, now 81 and then, she appears like this:

I feel sorry for her, I really do. I mean, how damaged do you need to be in your head that you want to keep on looking like you did in your 20s even when you hit your 80s?
You see something like that and you really wonder about how ethical some of these plastic surgeons are. It's all about the money.
For example, those plastic surgeons who kept on rebuilding Michael Jackson's face need their license removed.

Last edited by Castafiore : 03-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #694
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm a huge fan of Hilary Swank but Boys Don't Cry was absolutely shocking and that was exactly the Oscar role!

DDL is ........ beyond words indeed!

LOL art is always subjective so we could go on arguing forever.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #695
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

I first saw DDL in the movie "with my left foot". I read that book long before the movie and I loved that book. It was so incredibly touching and I was afraid that you couldn't do the story justice on the silver screen.

DDL aced that.

While I'm rambling a bit. Just a few weeks ago, I was watching a number of old black & white movies with great leading actresses like Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn and such. Comparing those old movies with the Hollywood movies we see today, it amazes me how much more interesting and stronger the female roles where in those days. How has it gotten this superficial these days? No wonder more and more actors turn away from the big screen and turn to tv. Series like The Killing (the Danish version, I haven't seen the US version) on tv prove that having a female lead can work wonders.

Last edited by Castafiore : 03-04-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #696
country flag MariaV

In the Name of the Father - no less phenomenal DDL! *not enough *

Hilde, I know an 80-year-old lady who looks like 60 without any plastic surgery, now that's amazing, absolutely incredible! I'm like an old grandma at 44 but what can you do.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #697
country flag Castafiore

Yup, awesome movie as well.

---
You know the sort of person that can annoy the hell out of me?
Self-righteous knowitalls who like to instruct others (in their viewpoint, the "dumb masses") how to think about a certain issue and how their life would be better if they followed their example instead of sticking with their own narrow perspective.

Fans of a tennis player instructing other fans of the same player how to react to a certain situation and wagging their fingers at the naughty fans who react otherwise. (my favorite person in this category remains fedal #1. Her initial posts on MTF had her wondering in despair what such and such a player has done to deserve such dumb fans and adding that luckily, such and such a player has a wise fan in her - which is not exaggerated but an actual post, paraphrasing!)

Journalists who like to preach about biased tennis fans which would not be a problem as such if they were not hampered by their own biased ramblings and their appreciative dialogues on twitter with other biased journalists. (Michael Seabra and his watch obsession joins that league).
/mini-rant.

Last edited by Castafiore : 03-04-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #698
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

*guilty*

Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #699
country flag Castafiore

Not even close, Andreea.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #700
country flag acionescu

No, guilty because I answered him and he praised my way of thinking

But I agree, we need more balanced journos and bloggers than balanced fans.

When a blogger that I highly respect like Jesse Pentecost dares to say to me that Rod Laver is above such fanboyism and that, even if he is a fan of a player, he is because he knows tennis better than me, you know something is not right.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #701
country flag acionescu

Vivaldi bday today

Old 03-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #702
country flag MariaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by acionescu View Post
No, guilty because I answered him and he praised my way of thinking

But I agree, we need more balanced journos and bloggers than balanced fans.

When a blogger that I highly respect like Jesse Pentecost dares to say to me that Rod Laver is above such fanboyism and that, even if he is a fan of a player, he is because he knows tennis better than me, you know something is not right.

I see you really have too much 'free time' on your hands atm.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #703
country flag Castafiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by acionescu View Post
even if he is a fan of a player, he is because he knows tennis better than me, you know something is not right.
Yup.

Reminds me of a discussion I had on twitter with Filip Dewulf. He sometimes writes articles for the press (98% about Belgian players so you don't get to see his articles that much any more) and he writes an online blog.

In one of those blogs, he wrote something about certain players. Most of it was just a matter of opinion so fair enough really, but some of it was just wrong.
So, on twitter, I pointed to the things he was wrong about.
Dewulf first replied that as a former pro, he knows more about the sport than I do.
I responded that I didn't deny that, but being a former pro doesn't mean that he knows every player personally and thus, he shouldn't be drawing conclusions in a sweeping way.
He replied that as an insider, he knows how things work in this sport.
I responded that "I'm an insider, so I'm right" is a blank statement, a cop-out.
He stopped responding to me.
Another journalist started following me.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #704
country flag Castafiore

quiet in here......quiet before the storm?

The wrong street race

Somebody doing her geography teachers proud

Truck, meet bridge...

Dress, missing the top part
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #705
country flag acionescu

And a wedding dress, to boot