The attacking Djokovic myth - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
country flag Police Of Mind

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute
Default The attacking Djokovic myth

Why is Djokovic seen as an attacking player? He hasn't been anything close to aggressive since 2007 at least, and even then he spent a good deal of his time grinding away on the baseline. I've also noticed how it's mainly Djokovic fans pointing out how offensively gifted he is in comparison to the likes of Nadal and Murray, as if that is particularly notable or even necessarily true given his woeful net skills.
Police Of Mind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
country flag sake

sake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond reputesake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The attacking Djokovic myth

he played a very aggressive game in 2011.

The only thing that shows up vs top10 players nowadays is his aggressive return of serve and decent serving. Anything else in his game is basically the same grindfest as seen by murray and nadal.
sake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
country flag ClutchOnandWin

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Who see's Djokovic as an attacking player?

Fruthermore, who the bloody hell cares?

Why are there somany of you guys on here with such a narrow minded concept of what makes a player talented, or worthy, or "good for tennis"?

If a player is even mildly able to defend and wins trophies, there becomes an instant stupid reason for everyone to take dislike to him.

Djokovic is a balanced player. Both attackingly and defensively. The reason you guys see 70% defence and 30% attack is very simple, Djokovic's defensive skills simply STAND OUT far more and cause player's far more issues. Without Djokovic's defence, his attack wouldn't be in a position to be used. His style isn't first strike, he works the player's around the court and FORCES errors, if he can't force errors, he hits them. Being a pusher is waiting for errors and just chipping the ball back into play. That type of player is Niculescu or Simon for instance. Or actually even Gasquet sometimes.

Federer also forces errors, he doesn't only hit winners.

People are their elitist tennis views on here need to calm it down.

ClutchOnandWin's tennis tips
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=558010:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiedis View Post
Serious tennis analists know that WTF is a glorified exho with a very descriptive name.
^This is what having a crush does.
ClutchOnandWin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Knotty Fort

Knotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond reputeKnotty Fort has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic's returning in 2011 was godlike, allowing him to be on the front foot on many many points even on opponents' first serves. But since the end of 2011 he lost a lot of that returning aura, and I'm not sure if he'll really ever get it back.
Knotty Fort is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Police Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond reputePolice Of Mind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOnandWin View Post
Rage.
I know you're a bit slow but I have no problem with him playing defensively. It's the constant denial and hyping up based on the exception in his career that bothers me.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
country flag Norrage

Norrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond reputeNorrage has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic is no attacking player, and he doesn't really need to be. The reason we remember is that against Rafa, he is. And there he is awesome in his attacking game. A bit the same as with Murray. Against Rafa you need to be aggressive.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you OP, especially for the bit about his '07. People refer back to those years like he was the Son of Sam(pras). But even some of his most offensively-wound performances like the one v. Nadal in Miami were packed with plenty of grinding (answering what were surprising punches by Nadal at the time). And for every performance like the one he had v. Fed in AO '08. There were plenty of exhaustive efforts like those v. Baghdatis and Hewitt at Wimbley (which would lead him to later retire, it seemed).

I've long argued his aggression was overstated, and it's nice to see some perspective on the matter.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
country flag InfoKenway

InfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond reputeInfoKenway has a reputation beyond repute

He was much aggressive player in his early career.
In 2010 he changed his game.

Sometimes Support:Wawrinka,Ferrer,Kohlschreiber,L.Mayer,Verdasco, Melzer,Gabashvili,Herbert,Thiem,Cuevas,Andrey Kuznetsov
I hate Robredo and Raonic
InfoKenway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #9

ClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond reputeClutchOnandWin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Of Mind View Post
I know you're a bit slow but I have no problem with him playing defensively. It's the constant denial and hyping up based on the exception in his career that bothers me.
I'm sharper than any knife you've even seen in your nightmares. I read your title and knew it would be the same old, same old.... so didn't read the OP past the actual first few words.

I'm bored of the who's attacking and who's not. BORES ME TO BLOODY FLIPPING ACTUAL DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Serious tennis analists know that WTF is a glorified exho with a very descriptive name.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

obvious trolling attempt. 3/10 I'd say
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

He's more aggressive than Murray, and he can certainly be more aggressive than some versions of Nadal. Since his fitness became elite he's become more reliant on grinding, but he has the big game from the baseline to play aggressive when he's allowed to step up.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
country flag nolethebest

nolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic is an attacking player SOMETIMES, he has the ability to go for the lines and be super aggressive when he wants, he has shown that lots of times. But that's not his game. his game is based on constructing the point and going for his shot when it's there.

One thing with djokovic his defence will always overshadow his offence.

Novak Djokovic in 2011 had the Greatest year in professional sports, He single handedly dominated two of the greatest players of all times and ended the fedal era.

7 Grand Slam titles
4 Australian Open titles
2 Wimbledon titles
1 Us Open title
122 weeks at #1
4 World Tour Finals Titles
#Legend

Last edited by nolethebest : 02-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.
nolethebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
He's more aggressive than Murray, and he can certainly be more aggressive than some versions of Nadal. Since his fitness became elite he's become more reliant on grinding, but he has the big game from the baseline to play aggressive when he's allowed to step up.
You mean he's been called a pusher less times than Murray has in his career, so you're following the crowd and saying he's more aggressive than Murray.

Pls.

This is rubbish!

Grinder, counterpuncher, defender, attacker... he has evertyhing but skills at the net.... simple...

Murray is the most complete player on tour.... grinder, counterpuncher, defender, attacker, finesser (if there's even a word lol), ability at the net etc.

There was a discussion saying that Murray would be top 5 in doubles if he focused on doubles and I agree. Watch his lob against young yesterday, the little flick.

Murray and Djokovic are complete player's. Federer and Nadal may have a bigger weapon, in their forehands but they are not as complete as these two.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
Thank you OP, especially for the bit about his '07. People refer back to those years like he was the Son of Sam(pras). But even some of his most offensively-wound performances like the one v. Nadal in Miami were packed with plenty of grinding (answering what were surprising punches by Nadal at the time). And for every performance like the one he had v. Fed in AO '08. There were plenty of exhaustive efforts like those v. Baghdatis and Hewitt at Wimbley (which would lead him to later retire, it seemed).

I've long argued his aggression was overstated, and it's nice to see some perspective on the matter.
Well put. I do think it's a shame he tended more towards defensive play but yeah, it was never pure aggression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Whether he's more aggressive or not than Nadal or Murray is irrelevant really given they're also primarily defensive.

Quote:
I'm sharper than any knife you've even seen in your nightmares.
I love you.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #15
country flag nolethebest

nolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond reputenolethebest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You mean he's been called a pusher less times than Murray has in his career, so you're following the crowd and saying he's more aggressive than Murray.

Pls.

This is rubbish!

Grinder, counterpuncher, defender, attacker... he has evertyhing but skills at the net.... simple...

Murray is the most complete player on tour.... grinder, counterpuncher, defender, attacker, finesser (if there's even a word lol), ability at the net etc.

There was a discussion saying that Murray would be top 5 in doubles if he focused on doubles and I agree. Watch his lob against young yesterday, the little flick.

Murray and Djokovic are complete player's. Federer and Nadal may have a bigger weapon, in their forehands but they are not as complete as these two.
whaaatttt.....??

Novak Djokovic in 2011 had the Greatest year in professional sports, He single handedly dominated two of the greatest players of all times and ended the fedal era.

7 Grand Slam titles
4 Australian Open titles
2 Wimbledon titles
1 Us Open title
122 weeks at #1
4 World Tour Finals Titles
#Legend
nolethebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote