°_° - Stan's news - °_° - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #181
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

Stanislas Wawrinka: The Biofile

by Scoop Malinowski

Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka reveals his favourite players to watch, why he loves playing tennis, his greatest sporting moment and more for this Biofile with Scoop Malinowski...

Tennis Inspiration: I like to see [Pete] Sampras play.

Last Book Read: I don't really like to read books. Mostly I read magazines.

First Tennis Memory: Of course I think my first good memory was the 2003 Roland Garros juniors (d. Brian Baker).

Favourite Sport(s) Outside Tennis: I like to watch soccer and also ice hockey because in Switzerland it's very good.

First Car: A blue Kia (blue).

Current Car: Audi.

Favourite Meal: Depends. I eat sushi a lot; it's easy.

Favourite Ice Cream Flavour: Vanilla.

Pre-Match Feeling: Just before coming on the court [I get] a little bit nervous, of course. But I enjoy this moment.

Greatest Sports Moment: The Beijing Olympic Games, for sure (winning the doubles gold medal with Roger Federer in 2008).

Most Painful Moment: That was when we lost in the 2012 Davis Cup first round to the USA, 5-0.

Favourite Tournament: Roland Garros

Funniest Players Encountered: I think, because he's a good friend, Benoit Paire is quite funny, quite strange on the court. And quite a good person off the court.

Toughest Competitor Encountered: Rafael Nadal.

Why Do You Love Playing Tennis: It's special. It's a game. You play a game, you play with a ball, you play against someone. You're alone on the court. You need to find solutions every day, every match because every match is different."

Favourite Players To Watch: David Nalbandian. Because he's playing so easy. You think he's playing not full and he's just playing with his touch and with his talent. I like to watch him. Andy Murray. Roger Federer, of course.

One Of Your Best Matches: Against Nalbandian in Barcelona in 2008. I won 6-3 6-1 but I was playing unbelievable.

Strangest Match: I haven’t had any crazy matches...I remember one match for sure, against Novak Djokovic this year at the Australian Open. Amazing match, playing five hours.

People Qualities Most Admired: Loyalty. You stay with a person and you never go off.

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-Wawrinka.aspx
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #182
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

How Wawrinka learned to win

Series of tough losses have taught stealth Swiss to take positive approach

Originally Published: September 17, 2013
By Kamakshi Tandon | Special to ESPN.com

It's not often that a player chooses his own epigram, let alone gets it tattooed it on his left arm.

But it would be tough to sum up Stanislas Wawrinka's season more lyrically than with the words Wawrinka himself chose from Irish playwright and novelist Samuel Beckett earlier this year -- "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better."

"In tennis, as you know, if [you] are not Roger [Federer] or Rafa [Nadal] and [Novak] Djokovic or Andy [Murray] now, you don't win so many tournaments and you always lose," the 28-year-old from Lausanne, Switzerland, said at the US Open. "But you need to take the positive of the loss, and you need to go back to work and still [keep] playing."

Perhaps no player this year has failed better than Wawrinka, who has come up with some stunning performances -- if not always victories.

It all began with his memorable five-set loss to Djokovic at the Australian Open, still a top contender for the match of the year. (Nadal versus Djokovic at the French Open, Wawrinka versus Richard Gasquet at the French Open and Djokovic versus Wawrinka II at the US Open would be among the others.)

In that fourth-round match in Oz, Wawrinka stormed out of the blocks to take a 6-1, 5-2 lead against the top seed, but just as impressive was the way he battled back after losing the second and third sets. He rebounded to win a tight fourth-set tiebreaker and stayed with Djokovic all the way to 12-10 in the fifth. His aggressive shot-making and bold winners sustained over four hours were a revelation.

With his full-swinging one-handed backhand, Wawrinka had also developed a reputation for inconsistency and letting the occasion get to him. Despite losing the match, he was feted in defeat.

That would be the case again two weeks later, as he and Marco Chiudinelli lost 24-22 in the fifth to Tomas Berdych and Lukas Rosol in a Davis Cup doubles match, allowing the Czechs to hand Switzerland a first-round defeat. At 7 hours, 1 minute, it was the longest Davis Cup match on record. Then came a nervy, three-set defeat at Indian Wells to a hurting Roger Federer, in whose shadows Wawrinka has spent most of his career.

It was after that defeat that Wawrinka tweeted the quotation that has come to define his season. "It stuck with me," he said later.

By spring, the words were inscribed on his skin, though for him their meaning clearly ran deeper. It was the message he had given himself and had been given by his Davis Cup teammates and friends ever since that match against Djokovic.

"A few tough losses at the beginning of the year, but we always said, 'Look, the most important is what you do with that situation,'" said Swiss captain Severin Luthi, who has provided coaching support to Wawrinka. "If you react negative and you go into a mental hole, you won't progress. You have to accept the positive and negative out of it and try to improve; that's all you can do.

"And he was very disciplined in that direction."

Getting to this point had already been a long journey for Wawrinka. Although he wasn't regarded as much of a prospect for most of his junior days, his ranking reached No. 9 in 2008 before slipping outside the top 20 during the next two years. During that time, he married girlfriend Ilham Vuilloud and the couple had a daughter, Alexia.

In a bid to climb back up the rankings in 2010, Wawrinka hired Peter Lundgren, former coach of Federer and Marat Safin, and shortly afterward, Wawrinka upset Andy Murray on his way to the US Open quarterfinals. As 2011 began, news came that Wawrinka was also leaving his wife and daughter, with Vuilloud saying Wawrinka wanted to focus more on his career. By the end of the year, however, Wawrinka split with Lundgren, and last year publicly reunited with his family, embracing his role as a father and getting Alexia's name tattooed on his hand.

But he remained coachless for a year and a half until former French Open finalist Magnus Norman, who now has an academy and previously worked with Robin Soderling, was finally persuaded to come on board this April.

"During that year he had nobody when he stopped with Peter, so he went on a few tournaments alone -- when I could help him, I helped him," Luthi said. "I think that was also helpful for him to learn more about himself.

"But I think it's good he has again someone who he really knows he can rely on."

While new coach Norman has done some tactical and technical work with Wawrinka, he says his main effort has been mental.

"Already before I was starting, he was playing well in Australia," said the former No. 2 at the US Open. "And obviously Stan has been a top, top player for many years, around 20, but in order to have a better ranking you have to perform well in the big tournaments, and he's been a little bit of an underachiever, I think, in the big tournaments before. He's been maybe a little bit nervous and not believing in himself really.

"The most important thing we're trying to work on is confidence. Because Stan is a very nice guy but sometimes a little insecure. We've been speaking a lot about how to handle when he's feeling nervous, and in difficult situations in big tournaments.

''It's not really any secret. It's trying to convince him and make him believe in himself."

Increasingly, it seems to be working. Shortly after Norman agreed to sign on, Wawrinka won the ATP event in Estoril -- an actual victory, finally, and one he points to as important for his confidence. In Madrid, his first official tournament with Norman, Wawrinka reached the final, losing to Nadal. He then came from two sets down to defeat Gasquet in the French Open before again losing to Nadal in the quarterfinals.

The big breakthrough, however, came at the US Open, where Wawrinka defeated No. 6 seed Tomas Berdych and defending champion Murray to reach his first Grand Slam semifinal -- before falling to Djokovic in five sets, again. Like Australia, Wawrinka started by going up a set and a break, but this time led by two sets to one and won a marathon 21-minute game at the beginning of the fifth despite struggling with a leg injury. Failing better, indeed.

His confident ballstriking against the biggest names was what stood out the most. Reflecting on his match earlier in the tournament against Murray, which he won in straight sets without allowing a single break point, Wawrinka said he was pleased with the way he dealt with the pressure.

"Normally I can be a little bit nervous and I can lose few games because of that, but today I was just focus on my game," he said.

Luthi feels the improvements can be seen day to day as well.

"His basic level is better," he said. ''I think he has less really bad matches. And even if he doesn't play great one day, his level doesn't drop as much as before, so that's really positive and that give him the base to play the big guys and play those big matches. I think that's where he really improved."

The question now is where Wawrinka goes from here. His efforts this year have taken him back to No. 10 in the world, and he will spend the next couple of months trying to reach the top eight and secure a spot in the season-ending World Tour Finals in London. His main rival for the last spot at the event is none other than Federer, and the result is also likely to decide who ends the year as the highest-ranked player in Switzerland -- a startling development given that Federer began the year firmly entrenched in the top four and Wawrinka was stationed well outside the top 10.

But Wawrinka is no longer an afterthought, in or out of Switzerland, and showed at the US Open that he can go toe-to-toe with anyone these days. Keep this up, and he might soon have to give succeeding a try.

Source: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...ka-learned-win
Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #183
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Thumbs up Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

Wawrinka extends his coaching relationship for the foreseeable future with Magnus Norman

November 28, 2013

The tennis player Stan Wawrinka has confirmed that he will continue working with the former number 2 Magnus Norman who heads up The Good to Great Academy, based in Sweden.

Stan Wawrinka, a former gold medallist in Beijing and the 8th rank player in the world has had the best year of his career to date having made both the Semi-Finals of the US Open and the ATP World Tour Finals.

“I have had one of the best years of my career and I feel that the relationship, trust and confidence I have built over the last 10 months with Magnus has obviously paid off gauging from my results to date” said Wawrinka. “To me, Magnus is without question the right person to guide me through my career. And there is no question, that I truly believe that he is able to help my game and in turn help me progress even further on the tour”

“Stan is an amazingly talented tennis player and a true professional. He is a pleasure to work with and I believe this is just the beginning. We had initially agreed to work on a trial basis but after seeing how well we work as a team it was only natural for me to commit long term” said Magnus Norman. “We have agreed that I will be on the road more than I have been in previous years and I very much look forward to the seasons ahead as I feel that with hard work and commitment Stan has the potential and ability to excel even further.”

Source: http://tennisconnected.com/home/2013...magnus-norman/
Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #184
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Stan got his first nomination for Swiss Athlete of The Year and I guess he has a decent chance to win.

I expect him to be at least amongst the Top 3.

Winners will be named on Sunday.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #185
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. I hope he gets that, especially serving Switzerland as the flag bearer during the 2012 Olympics, and his effort in the Davis Cup with that Doubles match.
Salute to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
ATP Tour Calendar Week 38: Metz - Nope, were not in New York anymore. A French indoor appetizer before the Indoor Season!
Cilic is the new Federer 2014?
2014 ATP Top Players (in GIF form)!
zjtennis is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #186
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Unfortunately Stan didn't win but he finished 2nd after Dario Cologna
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #187
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Stan voted the Swiss Personality of the Year 2013!

http://www.blick.ch/people-tv/tv/sta...id2612046.html

Opened a thread here:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=389921

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #188
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Great honour for Stan

Congratulations
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #189
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Wawrinka: I don't need to win a slam to be a success

Sunday, 19 January 2014

Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka is coming off the best year of his career, finishing 2013 ranked No 8 and beginning 2014 by winning the prestigious Swiss of the Year award. For so long in Roger Federer’s shadow, Wawrinka kindly took time out from his busy schedule at the Australian Open to share his thoughts with The Tennis Space on his hopes for the future and why winning a grand slam title is not the be all and end all.

Firstly, congratulations on the Swiss of the Year award. How did you hear you’d won?

It was on live TV from here. They told me I was making the top 10 because they do the live show, for the top 10, with a vote and everything. So I found out live on TV because I told them I was OK to do an interview even if I didn’t win, it doesn’t matter. They started at 10, 9, 8, and I finished first. I was surprised. But a big honour.

What other kind of people have won in the past?

Roger won it one year, for sure, Didier Cuche also. I think in the past 10 years, we had seven sportsmen. Because in Switzerland, sports is quite important. They show a good mentality in general, in ski or tennis, it’s quite big.

You had your best year yet. But what’s the difference between you and top few players?

It’s tough to say. I think the gap is still big. The top three is really, really strong. Maybe this year it will change, we don’t know, because I still think the players just behind the top few are pushing, pushing and for sure, one way it will work that’s for sure. But Novak, Andy, Rafa right now are really strong. They are winning every big tournament and that makes the big difference. It’s not only because they win one but all year they are in the final or win. So far I think the gap is big, but in tennis the good thing is you have a chance to change it every week, every tournament. From myself, in the game in general, I am close. I am not saying I’m close to top three, I’m saying I am close to beating them in one tournament. That’s what I am looking for and trying to improve, to get maybe one win or one grand slam against Novak or Rafa. It’s really tough but that’s the big challenge.

Do you need to win a slam to think of yourself as a success?

I think what is not easy in tennis, if you want (too much), you will never be satisfied. But I am quite happy with my career already. I need to tell myself that if I was 16, 17, 18 years old and someone had told me you are going to be top 20 for five years and then one year you’re going to finish top eight, making semi-finals, I would sign straightaway because it was impossible for me. So I am really happy – that’s what I tried to change a little bit last year, to enjoy more. We are losing almost every week and that’s tough in tennis but if you don’t find a positive, if you don’t enjoy, you always feel it’s not enough, not enough. I’m trying to enjoy it, to see the positives but I am going on court every day to practise because I want to improve, I want more, for sure. It would be amazing to get more but I know it can stop tomorrow.

In tennis you lose as much as you win. That must be tough to take. You’re peaking now?

Yes, I think my best is like last year and maybe the next few years, I don’t know how many years. I think tennis and sport in general changed. If you look 10 years ago, everybody was retiring 29, 30, but now it’s completely different, if you look at the generation it’s more like 28 to 30, 32, they play their best tennis. Maybe it’s because it’s more physical now, every player is more professional, with physios and everything.

What do you think about “Fedberg”? (Stefan Edberg helping Roger Federer)

I think it’s great for sure. Stefan was an amazing champion. He was still a little bit in tennis in Sweden, so he’s coming back to the Tour, I think it’s great for tennis in general. I’m sure Roger, if he took him, he feels that he can help in something, maybe one or two things that can make a big difference, and it shows that Roger still wants to win big things because he’s still trying to find ways to do it. Change racket, taking someone else to help him, it’s great. It’s great, Swedish people and players are really nice, really professional and that’s important.

How much has your coach, Magnus Norman helped you?

Yeah, he helped me, he came in April last year. For sure he helped me a lot, he was No 2 in the world, final in grand slam, winning Masters 1000, he did amazing job with Robin Soderling, from 30 to top 5. We’re a little bit similar last year, what I did and what he did with Robin. Robin was better so far, but yeah, I’m really happy. We had more or less the same vision of tennis, we know it all comes from the practice, if you practice well, if you focus well, if you have a positive attitude, your results will maybe come, at least you give yourself the best chance. So far it’s been great.

Did you use a sports psychologist to improve?

No, I think it’s my team in general, more myself, how I develop my mentality. I’m 28 so I’m not thinking the same as I was five years ago. Maybe it’s the right time for me, I’m more mature. I feel good outside tennis with my private life and that’s for sure helped me. Now I think it’s more a package that all together’s been much better.

Do you play better when you’re happy, when things are good off the court?

Yes, in general, yes. You can have one week where you’re not happy off court and still play well but in general, if I feel good off the court and everything’s going well, then you feel better to go practice and feel better in the match. You have less to think about. You can really focus on tennis.

Source: http://www.thetennisspace.com/wawrin...-be-a-success/