Political Discussion Thread - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #196
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey247 View Post
I've no idea, but I hope so! The caption possibilities are endless. I'm hoping Billie Jean will post some pics on Twitter.
well, to be honest I think this whole thing will play more into Putin's hands.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #197
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Here are russian dangerous hooligans. Greenpeace's photographer Denis Sinyakov and Pussy Riot's Nadya. Free. Strange good days in Russia.

Last edited by mer : 12-24-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #198
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Safin a lot during his career, but I've lost all respect for him as a person even if I still enjoy his game

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #199
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond repute

Marat Safin had just as much impact off the court as he had on the court.
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #200
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
Here are russian dangerous hooligans. Greenpeace's photographer Denis Sinyakov and Pussy Riot's Nadya. Free. Strange good days in Russia.
That's a great pic, thanks for posting!

Well, after all Tolokonnikova and Alekhina have been through, this is how Ksenia Sobchak sees fit to interview them after their incarceration and release. Her questions are completely fatuous, deliberately so, and I don't really see what she hopes to achieve by taking the piss out of these women after their prison ordeal, especially as she herself affects to be anti-Putin.

Last edited by monkey247 : 12-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #201
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisprince View Post
Marat Safin had just as much impact off the court as he had on the court.
Which, in the grand scheme of things, looks to be negligible.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #202
country flag mer

Quote:
Her questions are completely fatuous, deliberately so, and I don't really see what she hopes to achieve by taking the piss out of these women after their prison ordeal, especially as she herself affects to be anti-Putin.
Sobchak isn't that bad usually and she's intelligent woman but sometimes she looks like a complete fool. In this itw she tried to drag them down to her own old self level of a showbiz girl. She suddenly turned from a serious journalist into a tabloid reporter. I don't know if she really doesn't understand that they are like from different planet.

p.s. btw though Sobchak is in opposition now she's not exactly anti-Putin, considering her family history. She's even rumoured to be Putin's god-daughter

Last edited by mer : 12-28-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #203
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
Sobchak isn't that bad usually and she's intelligent woman but sometimes she looks like a complete fool. In this itw she tried to drag them down to her own old self level of a showbiz girl. She suddenly turned from a serious journalist into a tabloid reporter. I don't know if she really doesn't understand that they are like from different planet.

p.s. btw though Sobchak is in opposition now she's not exactly anti-Putin, considering her family history. She's even rumoured to be Putin's god-daughter
Yes, "anti-Putin" is probably the wrong word. Anyway, Sobchak has always struck me as reasonably intelligent, which is why I thought she must have pitched her questions at that level on purpose. If her agenda was to make herself look trivial, she succeeded.

In case anyone interested, here's a video and partial transcription of Alekhina's and Tolokonnikova's press conference in the TV Rain studio yesterday (Friday 27 Dec), via the Radio Liberty website. Alternative transcription via Slon.ru.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #204
country flag Sarahkd11

Sarahkd11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for sharing Monkey !
And happy new year to everyone.
Sarahkd11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #205
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkd11 View Post

Thanks so much for sharing Monkey !
And happy new year to everyone.
No worries! Happy 2014, everyone.

In case anyone's interested, MK.ru published an article on 25.12.2013, in which United Russia deputy, Maria Maksakova, called on the anti-gay laws to be revised "with more civilised rhetoric". So not all EdRo deputies are unmitigated scoundrels, then (just most of them).

Quote:

MP and opera diva Maksakova called the "United Russia" to "more civilized rhetoric" in the "Law on gay propaganda"

She found that good intentions pave the road to hell ...

On Wednesday, the final meeting of the Liberal platform all-Russian party "United Russia". Existence of some "platforms" within the fairly monolithic, at first glance, the "party of power" for many is still a revelation and a surprise, but New Year's meeting of the "power of the liberals" in the "President Hotel" was very crowded. The main sensation of the meeting was an unprecedented performance Maksakova Mary, State Duma deputy, member of the Committee on Culture DG, as well as an opera singer, soloist of the Mariinsky Theatre, the need for revision of the Federal Law № 135-FZ, better known as "anti-gay law" banning promotion of non-traditional sexual relations among minors.

Photo: RIA Novosti

The statement by the famous singer and statesman (in a video exclusively published by "MK") caused a lot of excitement among the audience, many of whom were stunned by such a brave and unexpected performance from an "edinorosski."

Final meeting of the Liberal platform all-Russian party "United Russia" in the "President Hotel" was sensational. Deputy Maria Maksakova spoke about the need to revise the Federal Law № 135-FZ. Maria believes that after the adoption of the controversial law "Our country has huge image losses around the world."

In comments for "MK" Ms. Maksakova explained the reasons and motives of his statement, noting that after the adoption of the controversial law "Our country has huge image losses around the world."

Below is Maria Maksakova's full comment:

"I believe that this is a classic example of how the road to hell is sometimes paved with good intentions. Of course, the direct question, would you want your child to become an object of propaganda, including, as stated in the Act, "unconventional", then, of course, would say, "No, do not want to" . But in fact inadmissible any propaganda sexual lust, regardless of orientation, if it is aimed at children. Do not think it's right to allocate it a question of orientation in some separate, allegedly more malicious content.

"I think that the concept of "traditional" or "non-traditional" is used in the current legislation that is incorrect, because from a historical point of view it would be quite difficult to argue, for example, which of the orientations in the same ancient Greece was considered traditional. And we in the end, along with the religious culture, largely originating from Byzantium, and rely on the Greek civilization tradition.

"We as people of art and culture should be understood that the best creations of humanity associated with this attitude, and it makes no sense to spend some face and dividing lines. Both are normal. About this for a long time are the recommendations of the World Health Organization. I think this wording for legislation wrong and incorrect. It first.

"Second, law enforcement practice - the main criterion of success or justification of a particular statutory provision. And in our case, we see extremely negative consequences - the growth of crime and hate violence (against gays), as was the case in Volgograd, serious loss of reputation in the international arena and the attitude towards us, which is not changed the better.

"I am very sad to realize that the Olympic Games in Sochi, to which we have so long and tenderly prepared, can get by with less brilliance and pathos because of this unfortunate initiative that so hastily and, I believe, without a thoughtful discussion was adopted by the Duma on wave is not very wealthy ideological clichés. And I want to note that the initiator of the federal law is not made the faction "United Russia", so that we have, I'm sure there is a complete moral and political right to offer MPs to revert to the law and to make reasonable amendments".
Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #206
country flag mer

Quote:
So not all EdRo deputies are unmitigated scoundrels, then (just most of them).
As far as I remember she was also one of the very few who didn't vote for anti-adoption law. The main reason why she's doing this is her opera career and reputation abroad worth more to her than her position in Russia. She's not a hero, just has different priorities. On the other hand, she didn't vote and nothing bad happened to her which means all other MP's could have refused to vote too. They are not really scoundrels, they are cowards and conformists easily intimidated by president's administration.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #207
country flag rosespower

rosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond reputerosespower has a reputation beyond repute

All this political career is just so sad. From the beginning I thought it was a bad move but I said hey whatever makes him happy.. But now I am not sure is making him happy. This is far from what I envisioned him doing after tennis. If he wanted to do some good he should have stuck with charity work this kind of stuff.

I would love to see that!
rosespower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #208
country flag monkey247

According to this RTS journalist's Twitter, Safin is currently en route from Moscow to Simferopol. On government business, perchance ...
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #209
country flag Sarahkd11

Sarahkd11 is on a distinguished road

Oh Horror.

I hope this isn't true.
If it is, i would be very curious of the nature of his work there.

Thanks for the info and for the photos Monkey !
Sarahkd11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #210
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkd11 View Post
Oh Horror.

I hope this isn't true.
If it is, i would be very curious of the nature of his work there.
Spoke too soon! Forgot about this, via VKontakte.

Quote:
MARCH 15 (Saturday) at 14.00 ON INFORMATION sports committee in Yalta KULTSENTRE WILL BE MEETING WITH LEGEND world tennis player Marat Safin! Invites all tennis fans!
Nice to see he's not completely disconnected from tennis these days. Would've been, er, somewhat amusing if Marat had been Putin's ace up the sleeve in the ongoing international crisis.

Shaun Walker, the Guardian's Moscow correspondent, has also spotted Marat on the flight, travelling with Fetisov apparently. Via Twitter.