Two ATP rivalries could flourish in 2014 - ESPN.com - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
country flag Doktor Carpet

Doktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond reputeDoktor Carpet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two ATP rivalries could flourish in 2014 - ESPN.com

The article cites four, but 2 from WTA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennis/post/...ourish-in-2014

No. 8 Stanislas Wawrinka vs. No. 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Head-to-head: Tsonga leads 3-2

Two things usually happen when these two meet: Dynamic tennis erupts and the match goes the distance.

At the 2011 French Open, Wawrinka roared back from a two-set deficit to beat Tsonga. In their French rematch a year later, Tsonga halted another Wawrinka comeback with a 6-4, 7-6 (6), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4 triumph in a match that spanned four hours spread out over two days, with both guys splattering winners across the red clay.

Because both are strong servers -- Tsonga was fourth on the ATP in service games won (88 percent), Wawrinka was 11th (85 percent) -- breaks can be scarce. They were born 20 days apart and their meetings can come down to tactical imposition.

Wawrinka wants to work Tsonga over in backhand exchanges, because Stan’s one-hander is a much more reliable and penetrating shot than Jo’s two-hander. Tsonga, whose forehand is his best shot, tries to wield that weapon against Wawrinka, who hits his forehand flatter and can be streakier off that side.

Tsonga tends to play closer to the baseline, but both can close at the net and Wawrinka has applied his all-court skills more effectively working with coach and former French Open finalist Magnus Norman. When pushed out of position, both men are prone to indulging their shot-making urges and play the down the line drive.

No. 21 Jerzy Janowicz vs. No. 23 Grigor Dimitrov
Head-to-head: None

What do you get when you mix power, finesse, volatility, agility, eye-popping shot-making on the move and mind-numbing shot selection at crunch time? Magic and mayhem.

You know pop culture has infiltrated the sport when you see two guys with the freaky athletic ability of Janowicz and Dimitrov pull off shotmaking so audacious, it looks like it came straight from the mind of an over-caffeinated video geek on an Xbox binge.

Both men had break-out moments in 2013. In just his fifth Grand Slam main draw, Janowicz reached the Wimbledon semifinal to become the first Polish man to advance to a major semifinal. Dimitrov, who upset world No. 1 Novak Djokovic on clay in Madrid, rallied for a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 3 David Ferrer in the Stockholm final in October to win his first ATP title, becoming the first Bulgarian in the Open Era to win an ATP crown.

The 6-8- Janowicz looks like he’s leaping off a step ladder when serving -- he hit 30 aces in three sets against Nicolas Almagro at Wimbledon -- but he’s not a mindless baseline basher.

Janowicz’s bold two-handed backhand, flair for the angled drop shot, imposing size and agility, and volatile and wacky temper -- an Australian Open meltdown during which he repeatedly raged "How many times? How many times?" inspired a YouTube hip-hop remix -- make him as unsettling as an evening spent slam-dancing with sumo wrestlers.

Dimitrov is an enchanting talent because he can flash of shot-making magic on the move from virtually anywhere on court, and the contrast between his explosive topspin forehand and the biting slice of his one-handed backhand can be a jarring combination. Dimitrov’s all-court skills and athleticism are dazzling; his atrocious major results -- he’s failed to surpass the second round in 12 of 13 Grand Slam starts -- are disconcerting.

"I think Dimitrov has a huge upside. If he stays healthy, he has a live arm, huge serve, he moves well," James Blake told me last month. "Looks like he's comfortable hitting any shot. Just a matter for him of putting it all together. If I had to say one [young] guy that has the game that actually excites me, it's Dimitrov. Milos Raonic is the most uncomfortable to play, but I don't get quite excited watching a guy serve 25 aces and win a match 6 and 6."
Doktor Carpet is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two ATP rivalries could flourish in 2014 - ESPN.com

Surprisingly decent article coming from ESPN!

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!
Fed fordawin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

These are some of the rare match-ups where tennis is going to win either way. Hopefully we'll see these matches often next year, preferable in major finals.

Stan and Jo are very talented shotmakers but soon past their prime so they need to get major success soon. Jerzy and Grigor, on the other hand, are some of the most promising youngsters and able to beat anybody on their day.

I wouldn't mind if these four guys won the four slams in 2014.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

And it will be nice to see Jerzy lead the head to head with Dimitrov

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
country flag Cloren

Cloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond reputeCloren has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully we get to see Dimitrov/Janowicz matches next year. It would be nice to see Dimitrov spank Janowicz

Del Potro-Dimitrov-Ferrer-Wawrinka-Hewitt
Cloren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Hear, hear. That would be the most epic year in tennis history.

Jo-Wilfried's drop in form has been the most disappointing thing about 2013. Would be great to see him challenging for the big titles again.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloren View Post
Hopefully we get to see Dimitrov/Janowicz matches next year. It would be nice to see Dimitrov spank Janowicz
Lol not going to happen.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
country flag Federer-Fan

Federer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond reputeFederer-Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
These are some of the rare match-ups where tennis is going to win either way. Hopefully we'll see these matches often next year, preferable in major finals.

Stan and Jo are very talented shotmakers but soon past their prime so they need to get major success soon. Jerzy and Grigor, on the other hand, are some of the most promising youngsters and able to beat anybody on their day.

Tsonga won a Masters 1000.

Each point Raonic wins is a step toward the end of tennis.
Federer-Fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer-Fan View Post
Tsonga won a Masters 1000.
He meant "major" as in a Major, i.e. a Grand Slam.

Pistol Pete
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
country flag zjtennis

zjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond reputezjtennis has a reputation beyond repute

I would really like to see Stan vs. Jo. If Stan vs. Gasquet is a good matchup, these explosive players on court would be an interesting watch also I presume. But yeah -- I really hope Dimitrov vs. Janowicz happens. It almost happened in Stockholm I think (where there were so many "young guns" there -- including Raonic and Pospisil I think). I hope they somehow belong on the same bracket in the R32 (correct me if I'm wrong that they can't meet there in AO) come AO (also, close Year-end ranking for those two: Jerzy is #21 while Grigor is #23, with Kohli in the middle #22).
Salute to Treat Huey for representing the Philippines in ATP Doubles!
--------------------------------------------------
ATP Tour Calendar Week 34: Winston-Salem - Get schooled in the last stop before the US Open!
Federer is the the Ferrer 2014?
US Open Series Stations: ATLANTA -> WASHINGTON D.C. -> TORONTO -> CINCINNATI -> WINSTON-SALEM -> US OPEN
"Shuppatsu shinkou!"
zjtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKrep View Post
He meant "major" as in a Major, i.e. a Grand Slam.
This word seems to be increasingly popular regarding slams or 'grand slams' as some call it.

I remember a tennis analyst saying "slams are for tennis, majors are for golf". Seems to be more common among Americans.

I think it's nice that tennis has its own title for the biggest tournaments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
country flag MichaelKrep

Yeah, it is an Americanism for sure, but I think it has established itself as an acceptable term.

Pistol Pete
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

^ But the events were originally called Majors. The Grand Slam once referred to winning all four in the calendar year, then people just began referring to individual efforts as "slams" or "grand slams".

I think I prefer not to use it because I have bad memories of the fanatics at TW and Tennis always comparing "Slams!!!!!11" That, and I think of this:

Which is American of me, yes.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see much logic in ESPN in hoping/expecting these two rivalries to 'flourish' when Tsonga is on/off injured, Wawrinka's form seems to dip every other season, and Dimitrov and Janowicz are extremely inconsistent and have never played

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
^ But the events were originally called Majors. The Grand Slam once referred to winning all four in the calendar year, then people just began referring to individual efforts as "slams" or "grand slams".

I think I prefer not to use it because I have bad memories of the fanatics at TW and Tennis always comparing "Slams!!!!!11" That, and I think of this:

Which is American of me, yes.
True.

I don't know anything about golf but I did a little research when I heard that quote from the analyst and I found something which indicated tournaments in golf were referred to as "Grand Slams", is this true? I doubted it at the time because I read it on a message board.

How long has tennis referred to these majors as slams?

By the way, what's that on the pancake?
Quote:
I knew I was going to regret, reading inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Weren't you just pestering another guy about his grammar, not so long ago?
Quote:
And your problem with my grammar is?
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote