How 'fannish' can and should moderators be? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How 'fannish' can and should moderators be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
I don't get paid for what I do here (nor does any other mod), in which case it might make sense to just monitor the forum and not get involved much. As it is, yes, I'm just a poster with extra duties, and as long as I don't break the rules or abuse my extra authorizations I'm free to post as I please. At least until the rules get changed.
Thanks for the reply.

So do you think it's a good idea for moderators to be just regular posters with extra administrative duties? In theory it would be permissible for you to call me or any other poster an idiot or taunt other posters if you liked but is that a good idea?

There's a lot that one can do on this forum without breaking any rules but which would be pretty far from any sane definition of "moderate".

I am curious to hear from the other moderators too; is the code of conduct for a moderator on here (is there one?) identical to that of regular posters?
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
I am curious to hear from the other moderators too; is the code of conduct for a moderator on here (is there one?) identical to that of regular posters?
There is no set in stone code of conduct for moderators on this particular forum, other than what every forumer should adhere to. People aren't specifically told how they should or should not behave from now on, when they are taken on as mods.

However, I do see the point you're getting across here. Though it's not set in stone, of course the most desirable moderator on any forum would be one that is very sensible, very mature with how they come across and one that stays out of argumentative banter even when discussing Tennis. Yes, the perfect candidates would be willing to sacrifice the full freedom of discussing Tennis as a forumer. It's one of those things that to a certain extent goes without saying. But, and that's a big butt; on this forum moderators are chosen primarily for their willingness and ability to sensibly moderate the forum while staying completely unbiased with their decisions. This is vital. Completely staying out of banter and heated Tennis discussions is far down in the list of importance.

If you see a moderator showing passion for the game or their favourite players, that's just them taking on their forumer role in the forum- it in no way is indicative of how they are in their moderator role.

Everyone here wants to actively engage and participate in the activities and discussions in the forum, and if you take that away from moderators it's unlikely any opinionated fan of Tennis would want to moderate this forum. I know you've received some stick for asking this question, but it's a fair point and I respect your opinion on it.
Sham Kay is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So do you think it's a good idea for moderators to be just regular posters with extra administrative duties? In theory it would be permissible for you to call me or any other poster an idiot or taunt other posters if you liked but is that a good idea?
Taunting is just another word for trolling, and trolling is against the rules. Same goes for calling someone idiot, personal attacks are also against the rules. Therefore neither of those are permissible.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #34

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Taunting is just another word for trolling, and trolling is against the rules. Same goes for calling someone idiot, personal attacks are also against the rules. Therefore neither of those are permissible.
Someone earlier in the thread called me an idiot who can't think for himself (with a link to "low IQ"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Most posters that do not want moderators to participate in conversations are on the lower end of this.

They have a hard time with disassociating a post from the moderator badge and know that they would abuse their power if they were moderators so being on the low end of this, they can't think for themselves and then you get posters like the one speaking to Time Violation.

I'd imagine there is still taunting stopping short of actual trolling and I'd be curious to know where you think the post above falls for example. Would it be ok for this poster but not for a mod etc?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham Kay View Post
There is no set in stone code of conduct for moderators on this particular forum, other than what every forumer should adhere to. People aren't specifically told how they should or should not behave from now on, when they are taken on as mods.

However, I do see the point you're getting across here. Though it's not set in stone, of course the most desirable moderator on any forum would be one that is very sensible, very mature with how they come across and one that stays out of argumentative banter even when discussing Tennis. Yes, the perfect candidates would be willing to sacrifice the full freedom of discussing Tennis as a forumer. It's one of those things that to a certain extent goes without saying. But, and that's a big butt; on this forum moderators are chosen primarily for their willingness and ability to sensibly moderate the forum while staying completely unbiased with their decisions. This is vital. Completely staying out of banter and heated Tennis discussions is far down in the list of importance.

If you see a moderator showing passion for the game or their favourite players, that's just them taking on their forumer role in the forum- it in no way is indicative of how they are in their moderator role.

Everyone here wants to actively engage and participate in the activities and discussions in the forum, and if you take that away from moderators it's unlikely any opinionated fan of Tennis would want to moderate this forum. I know you've received some stick for asking this question, but it's a fair point and I respect your opinion on it.

Thanks very much for the most comprehensive answer I have seen to date on the question.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #36
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Someone earlier in the thread called me an idiot who can't think for himself (with a link to "low IQ"):
Feel free to report the post
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Feel free to report the post
So it's against the rules and not normal poster behavior if I understand you correctly? Odd that in a thread full of moderators and me asking about what constitutes acceptable behavior that this one slipped by.

Wasn't that poster also a moderator at one point?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
Slacker

Quote:
So it's against the rules and not normal poster behavior if I understand you correctly? Odd that in a thread full of moderators and me asking about what constitutes acceptable behavior that this one slipped by.

Wasn't that poster also a moderator at one point?
Only Admins/SMs can manage this part of the forum, not just any mod. Not sure why it matters here if someone was a mod before?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoflou View Post
You don't become a different person when you're promoted to mod, you just accept that you have to be more objectional and can't punish users simply because you dislike them.
yea...
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Only Admins/SMs can manage this part of the forum, not just any mod. Not sure why it matters here if someone was a mod before?
I see. Anyhow, it isn't super important that the poster was a mod but I was curious if I recalled correctly.

On the other hand, I would think that a mod or even a former mod should be a bit more judicious than just calling other posters idiots.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #41
country flag tensyo

tensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond reputetensyo has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious as to whether there is any plan or even discussion among mods after this, to set up some guidelines for mods. Or is it still the guideline that mods can post/behave like any other poster, even the most trollish ones as long as they don't break any rules.
tensyo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensyo View Post
I am curious as to whether there is any plan or even discussion among mods after this, to set up some guidelines for mods. Or is it still the guideline that mods can post/behave like any other poster, even the most trollish ones as long as they don't break any rules.
I would like to know more myself too.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #43
Slacker

Quote:
I am curious as to whether there is any plan or even discussion among mods after this, to set up some guidelines for mods.
No

Quote:
Or is it still the guideline that mods can post/behave like any other poster, even the most trollish ones as long as they don't break any rules.
Yes, though you can always report whatever you think it's out of line and it will be dealt with, same as any other report.