Tour de France 2005 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
country flag Devotee

Devotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Tour de France 2005

I'm a casual fan of the Tour de France.

Does anyone besides me want Lance Armstrong to win his 7th. this year?

10 attachments is the most I can upload in 1 post so I'll make another post with more attachments in it

attachments need to be enlarged or printed out to be read

pic & write-ups courtesy of Outside magazine
Attached Images
File Type: gif cyclysm 003.gif (243.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif shirtless 001.gif (215.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif SherylCrow 001.GIF (111.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif route 001.gif (175.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png infobit1 002.png (13.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png infobit2 001.png (14.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png infobit3 001.png (15.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png infobit4 001.png (15.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png infobit5 001.png (13.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png infobit6 001.png (13.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Devotee : 06-15-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Devotee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tour de France 2005

Seven is my lucky number! And it would be awesome if he won it again.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
country flag Devotee

Devotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond repute

attachments need to be enlarged or printed out to be read

Admittedly the print quality is not good but if you're a fanatic for Tour de France, then reading them might be worth a try.
Attached Images
File Type: png infobit7 001.png (14.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png infobit8 001.png (13.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif DiscoveryChannel 003.GIF (148.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif HitSquads 001.GIF (111.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif graduates 002.GIF (111.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Devotee : 06-15-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #4
country flag Devotee

There is scientific evidence as to why Lance Armstrong is the best of the best

University of Texas scientist has concluded that the Tour de France cyclist is 18 percent better than he was before he was diagnosed with cancer in 1996

By Suzanne Halliburton
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

It's often speculated how six-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong could come back from his illness and dominate a sporting event considered to be the most arduous in the world.

While some whisper about drug use -- although Armstrong has yet to test positive after dozens of in-race and out-of-competition screenings of blood and urine -- a University of Texas scientist who has studied the champion cyclist since 1992 says he has come up with scientific explanations for Armstrong's success.

"Lance is arguably the best endurance athlete on the planet," said Ed Coyle, director of UT's Human Performance Laboratory, whose findings are featured in the June edition of "The Journal of Applied Physiology."

According to Coyle, Armstrong is 18 percent better than before he was diagnosed with testicular cancer Oct. 2, 1996. Half of that increase is the better development and efficiency of his muscles. The other half can be attributed to a significant weight loss.

Armstrong is currently at it again -- training these days in the Alps in preparation for the July 2 start of the Tour de France, the last of his career.

In the nine years since his cancer diagnosis, Armstrong has significantly increased his power and muscle efficiency, Coyle reports.

His heart is bigger, capable of pumping 200 beats per minute, allowing his body to pump high levels of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

The ability of Armstrong's heart to beat that fast for an extended period of intense activity -- such as cycling up a steep mountain pass in the Alps -- gives him a 5 percent advantage over his competition at the Tour and puts him in the 95th percentile for men his age, Coyle said.

At the same time, Armstrong dropped his weight, competing at 159 pounds at the Tour, as opposed to his pre-cancer competitive frame of 174. This weight loss increased his power wattage -- the ability to pedal the bike faster.

Coyle estimates that Armstrong's power wattage is greater than Spain's Miguel Indurain, who had owned the previous record of five Tour victories in a row.

Armstrong is in the same range as Eddy Merckx, the legendary Belgian and winner of five Tours who is considered the greatest cyclist of his time, Coyle said.

Since his illness, Armstrong gained more slow-twitch muscle fibers, which are so vital to endurance athletes who cycle long distances and run marathons. Slow-twitch fibers are more efficient in that they need less energy than fast-twitch muscles to function at a high level.

Coyle estimates that Armstrong has increased the proportion of his body's slow-twitch muscles from 60 percent to 80 percent.

Most Tour cyclists are between 60 and 70 percent, while non-athletes are in the 40 to 50 percent range.

And, Armstrong's focus on training has allowed him to take advantage of these physiological changes.

It all adds up to six consecutive Tour championships, something no other cyclist in the event's 101-year history has accomplished.

Coyle said of Armstrong's change: "It's a huge amount, simply phenomenal."
Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
country flag Sandra

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I want Cunego to win.
But shouldnt we write this stuff in the Cycling thread
Old 06-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
country flag Marine

Marine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond reputeMarine has a reputation beyond repute

Vivement the end !

Guy Forget
Marine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond reputeKoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute

when does it start

Another Game for Milos

ROGER

KoOlMaNsEaN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
country flag Straby

Straby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond reputeStraby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
I want Cunego to win.
But shouldnt we write this stuff in the Cycling thread
Cunego planned to compete in the Tour, but is in doubt now after his bad Giro d'Italia. Last I heart was the doctor thinks he had a virus in the Giro and has done some bloodtests to be sure. No word on the outcome yet. Big blow if he really has a virus.
Straby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
country flag Devotee