^_^ Marin' Press: articles, videos, audios and anything else you share ^_^ - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #181
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ^_^ Marin' Press: articles, videos, audios and anything else you share ^_^

"I felt like a kid playing tennis for the first time. The feeling was amazing, just to be back on the court, to be competing; I enjoyed every moment. I'm extremely satisfied as I haven't played any match since Wimbledon, so it's great to win again."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24718814
RU90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #182
country flag Dead Net Cord

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ^_^ Marin' Press: articles, videos, audios and anything else you share ^_^

The last time you... with Marin Cilic

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...in-cilic_sport

with cheap media love and fawners praising who didn't win slams

it must have been good to be a Swiss?

but chokers are always present in slam draws, wearing orange shoes and gold handbags
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Now these are the nights I am going to remember
Dead Net Cord is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #183
country flag nadejda

nadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond reputenadejda has a reputation beyond repute

Marin <3 he is sooo cute with that smile ))

Grigor Dimitrov

Soderling Cilic Murray Gasquet Tsonga Wawrinka Kohlshreiber Fognini Berdych Haas Melzer F.Lopes Nieminen Pospisil Davydenko Baghdatis Mahut Bellucci Berankis Harrison Troicki

Sampras & Safin

most beautiful sports: volleyball and tennis
nadejda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #184
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cilic’s Return Raises Questions About Antidoping Protocols
By BEN ROTHENBERG
Published: October 30, 2013

PARIS — Marin Cilic lost to Juan Martín del Potro in the second round of the ATP Masters event in Paris on Wednesday, but his overall feeling was one of relief.

Cilic, a former top-10 player from Croatia, was happy to be in action after being among the highest-ranked tennis players to serve a doping suspension. He compared his sensations on court to “a kid playing for the first time,” and said his positive test caused “the worst time of my life.”

In early May, Cilic tested positive for the prohibited substance nikethamide, an ingredient in glucose tablets he had taken. Cilic began taking glucose powder in 2011 to aid in the digestion and absorption of creatine powder, a permitted supplement that boosts energy levels. But when his supply of glucose powder ran low at a tournament in Monte Carlo in April, he asked his mother to buy him some more at a pharmacy. She bought a different form of glucose than he normally used, he said, and the tablets, with warning labels written in French, contained the banned substance nikethamide.

In September he received a nine-month suspension from the International Tennis Federation, which said it believed Cilic did not attempt to use nikethamide as an illicit performance enhancer. Cilic appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which last week reduced his suspension to four months.

Cilic, now ranked 41st, had already served four months since accepting a voluntary suspension in June, so he was able to make an immediate comeback this week.

Although the arbitration court has not yet released its full decision, Cilic suggested that much of the court’s ruling in his favor hinged on technical points about the specific substance for which he tested positive. Cilic said he tested positive for a metabolite of nikethamide called nicotinamide, not for the stimulant nikethamide itself.

Additionally, nikethamide itself is only a banned substance in competition. It is legal out of competition, so finding a lingering metabolite of it would not necessarily indicate that he had taken it illegally during competition.

What drew attention to Cilic’s ban was not the technicalities on which it ended, but the manner in which it began, with him quietly withdrawing from Wimbledon under the veil of a knee injury.

In the early afternoon of the third day of Wimbledon, Cilic, the No. 10 seed in the men’s singles draw, inconspicuously withdrew before his second-round match, citing a left knee injury. At a news conference on the day of his withdrawal, Cilic spoke about the trouble he had putting weight on his left leg, saying that his knee had bothered him for a “couple weeks.”

Cilic’s withdrawal was hardly dwelt upon at the time. It was only part of an exodus on the third day of the tournament that included Roger Federer, Victoria Azarenka, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Maria Sharapova.

The 10th-seeded Cilic, who called it a “very black day,” had no explanation for the sudden cluster of falling stars.

“Everything is related to individual,” he said. “Difficult to say what the real issue is.”

As it turned out, it was difficult to know what Cilic’s own “real issue” was.

About a month after Wimbledon, the Croatian news media reported that Cilic had withdrawn from Wimbledon after accepting a voluntary provisional ban.

The tennis federation does not comment on doping cases that have not been ruled on by an independent tribunal, so Cilic spent the next several weeks pulling out of events, including the United States Open, citing personal reasons.

When the federation’s independent tribunal handed down its ban in September, the report said that Cilic had withdrawn from Wimbledon citing “a knee injury to avoid adverse publicity.”

Cilic denied that his knee injury had been feigned and emphasized that a deciding factor in accepting the voluntary suspension was that his results at Wimbledon might have been invalidated later.

Stuart Miller, the federation’s antidoping manager, applauded Cilic’s willingness to remove himself from competition. “Voluntary suspension, I think, is a good thing for a player to do because it does demonstrate a good attitude toward the integrity of the game,” Miller said.

Miller said that in his seven years leading the federation’s antidoping system, players had rarely chosen to begin a voluntary suspension in the middle of a tournament. He added that it was not the federation’s responsibility to ensure the accuracy of any explanation given for suddenly pulling out of a tournament.

“If a player withdraws due to an antidoping rule violation charge, it’s up to them to say what they want to say about that,” Miller said. “And, of course, if it subsequently comes out that the reason for doing so may not have been the real reason, or the complete reason, then it’s up to the player to explain why he or she did what he or she did.”

Miller said the federation had drawn a “line in the sand” about disclosing an infraction only after the tribunal had ruled it to be a violation worthy of punishment.

“It says if and when there is a violation, then you must publicly disclose it,” Miller said. “That’s all it says. There’s nothing else that is mandatory in terms of public disclosure.”

While provisional suspensions are made public in some sports, like cycling, they are not in tennis, which could leave a cloud of suspicion over any player who is absent for a long period of time. Had Cilic been found by the tribunal to have committed no doping violation, Miller said the federation would have never commented on his case, nor revealed that he had taken a voluntary suspension.

Ben Nichols, a media relations manager for the World Anti-Doping Agency, said that WADA’s code “leaves some flexibility in terms of public disclosure” for provisional suspensions, allowing for variation between each sport’s governing bodies.

Richard Ings, who led antidoping efforts for the ATP from 2000 to 2005 and later headed the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, said a change to make disclosure of voluntary suspensions mandatory for all sports was the best course of action, even if it was initially simply disclosed as an unspecified rules violation.

“If you’re a big professional sport, you need to have the same rules for the big guys and the small guys,” he said of tennis. “If a big guy is being stood down for a provisional suspension, you just can’t hide it.”

Ings said more transparency would help improve tennis’s antidoping program.

“It ensures that there is not a vacuum of information, which lets people run off with conspiracy theories,” he said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/sp...pagewanted=all
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #185

Dead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond reputeDead Net Cord has a reputation beyond repute

Marin's on twitter now. https://twitter.com/cilic_marin

but chokers are always present in slam draws, wearing orange shoes and gold handbags
---
Quote:
Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #186
country flag AncicCilic

AncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond reputeAncicCilic has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.jutarnji.hr/goran-ivanise...ttom-/1148932/

In short, Goran is saying that Marin is a player for top 5 and that it is not understandable for him how he stalled so much in career in last few years.

He is also saying that Brett was stubborn in some things and that he will spend about half of the year with Marin on tour (20+ weeks).

Of course, he speaks of the serve and how he gave advice to Marin regarding that game aspect and volleys, and wants him to play more aggresive.

P.S. Watch out for Donna Vekic and Borna Coric, 2020. Hopman cup winners. - posted in 2011, let's see if it happens
AncicCilic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #187

---
Quote:
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #188
country flag RU90

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
87% of service games won

(could be even better)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #189
country flag RU90

Burning It Up

Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #190
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
Great article

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #191
country flag petar_pan
Banned!

petar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Popravio je agresivnost, ali mora biti još agresivniji. Pogotovo protiv najboljih tenisača. Agresivnost i kraći poeni - rekao je Čilićev trener Goran Ivanišević

Tenisači kreću u Indian Wellsu (četvrtak) i to je dio sezone koji će biti gotovo presudan za Marina Čilića i njegovu sezonu koja je sjajno krenula. Pogotovo nakon Miamija. Bit će to, kao što je Goran Ivanišević plastično objasnio - Maldivi. Sad bi mogao naplatiti sve što lani nije mogao jer je pauzirao mjesecima. Nakon Miamija gotovo da neće biti bodova za branjenje.

Nakon trijumfa u Delray Beachu Marin Čilić i Goran su krenuli u Los Angeles. Pripreme za Indian Wells.

- Marin je veliki radnik. Nije mu teško trenirati pet sati dnevno ako treba. Velike zasluge za takav Marinov odnos prema tenisu ima Bob Brett, koji je ugradio Marinu radne navike.

Ugradio je nekad i Goranu Ivaniševiću, koji je veliki optimist oko Marinova tenisa.

- Popravio je agresivnost, ali mora biti još agresivniji. Pogotovo protiv najboljih tenisača. Agresivnost i kraći poeni. Za korak više mora ostvariti bolje rezultate s Top 10 tenisačima. A kako je spreman, kako igra, nema razloga da to i ne napravi.

Čilić, koji je uvijek bio maksimalno oprezan, donekle se otvorio.

- Dosta brzo bih trebao ući u Top 10. Danas sam daleko agresivniji, što nisam bio proteklih godina. Danas igram s velikim samopouzdanjem, uvjeren da mogu svakoga pobijediti.

Razlog za novorođeni optimizam postoji. Marin je dobio 18 utakmica, najviše na Touru, servira 11 asova u prosjeku, što je najviše u karijeri, sa 815 realizacija prvog servisa trenutno je četvrti, a drugi po ukupnom broju asova (247) iza Ive Karlovća.

- Maksimalno pokušavam kratiti poene i to mi zasad dobro ide. I nema razloga da se tako nešto prekine. Konačni cilj je agresijom stvoriti veliki pritisak na protivnika. Bez obzira na to tko je s druge strane. Za ovo što danas igram i radim, nisam mogao naći boljeg trenera od Gorana. Ne samo zato što je sve to prošao.

Za kraj, Goran Ivanišević je poslao zajedničku poruku.

- Top 10 do kraja godine. Uvjereni smo da i nije nemoguća misija.

Tamo gdje bio (deveti) početkom travnja 2010. Nakon što je bio polufinalist Australian Opena. Još dvaput u četvrtfinalu US Opena. Morat će naravno popraviti omjer s Top 10 tenisačima (4-16), morat će i bolje na turnirima Masters 1000, gdje još nije bio polufinalist. Sve će krenuti iz Indian Wellsa...
petar_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #192
country flag petar_pan
Banned!

petar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar_pan View Post
Popravio je agresivnost, ali mora biti još agresivniji. Pogotovo protiv najboljih tenisača. Agresivnost i kraći poeni - rekao je Čilićev trener Goran Ivanišević

Tenisači kreću u Indian Wellsu (četvrtak) i to je dio sezone koji će biti gotovo presudan za Marina Čilića i njegovu sezonu koja je sjajno krenula. Pogotovo nakon Miamija. Bit će to, kao što je Goran Ivanišević plastično objasnio - Maldivi. Sad bi mogao naplatiti sve što lani nije mogao jer je pauzirao mjesecima. Nakon Miamija gotovo da neće biti bodova za branjenje.

Nakon trijumfa u Delray Beachu Marin Čilić i Goran su krenuli u Los Angeles. Pripreme za Indian Wells.

- Marin je veliki radnik. Nije mu teško trenirati pet sati dnevno ako treba. Velike zasluge za takav Marinov odnos prema tenisu ima Bob Brett, koji je ugradio Marinu radne navike.

Ugradio je nekad i Goranu Ivaniševiću, koji je veliki optimist oko Marinova tenisa.

- Popravio je agresivnost, ali mora biti još agresivniji. Pogotovo protiv najboljih tenisača. Agresivnost i kraći poeni. Za korak više mora ostvariti bolje rezultate s Top 10 tenisačima. A kako je spreman, kako igra, nema razloga da to i ne napravi.

Čilić, koji je uvijek bio maksimalno oprezan, donekle se otvorio.

- Dosta brzo bih trebao ući u Top 10. Danas sam daleko agresivniji, što nisam bio proteklih godina. Danas igram s velikim samopouzdanjem, uvjeren da mogu svakoga pobijediti.

Razlog za novorođeni optimizam postoji. Marin je dobio 18 utakmica, najviše na Touru, servira 11 asova u prosjeku, što je najviše u karijeri, sa 815 realizacija prvog servisa trenutno je četvrti, a drugi po ukupnom broju asova (247) iza Ive Karlovća.

- Maksimalno pokušavam kratiti poene i to mi zasad dobro ide. I nema razloga da se tako nešto prekine. Konačni cilj je agresijom stvoriti veliki pritisak na protivnika. Bez obzira na to tko je s druge strane. Za ovo što danas igram i radim, nisam mogao naći boljeg trenera od Gorana. Ne samo zato što je sve to prošao.

Za kraj, Goran Ivanišević je poslao zajedničku poruku.

- Top 10 do kraja godine. Uvjereni smo da i nije nemoguća misija.

Tamo gdje bio (deveti) početkom travnja 2010. Nakon što je bio polufinalist Australian Opena. Još dvaput u četvrtfinalu US Opena. Morat će naravno popraviti omjer s Top 10 tenisačima (4-16), morat će i bolje na turnirima Masters 1000, gdje još nije bio polufinalist. Sve će krenuti iz Indian Wellsa...
http://www.jutarnji.hr/cilic-uoci-in...-10--/1171232/
petar_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #193
country flag RU90

Radio interview with Marin: http://bit.ly/1cvZpiU

Hilarious story about Goran
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #194
country flag RU90

GORAN IVANISEVIC: DON'T CALL ME SUPER COACH

Quote:
He’s sure Andy Murray will find a good one, but Ivanisevic doesn’t like the label for ex-major winners

GORAN Ivanisevic is not a fan of the term “super coach” now being bandied about. It has become a trend for players to appoint former Grand Slam winners as mentors, and Ivanisevic is part of this new phenomenon. He is coaching compatriot Marin Cilic and so is not thought to be in the running to replace Ivan Lendl, whose split from Andy Murray last month surprised nearly everyone, including Ivanisevic. The Croat is not throwing his hat into the ring. He is preoccupied with Cilic, who he predicts can be a top ten player again within months – “providing he continues to do what he is told!” While Ivanisevic, who finally lifted the Wimbledon trophy in 2001 after his fourth final, bristles slightly when described as a super coach, he does believe that it helps to have someone who “has been there, done that” looking on from the players’ box.

“I was very surprised,” said Ivanisevic, when describing his reaction on learning of the end of the working relationship between Lendl and Murray. “Ivan, for me, was the perfect coach for Andy. He played the best tennis with him, he won two Grand Slams with him. Why did they split? Well, we might never know why they split. There are still some good coaches around. I am sure Andy is going to make the right choice.”

One of those reported to be in the running is Bob Brett, who coached Ivanisevic for four-and-a-half years and also worked with Cilic. Ivanisevic has described him as “one of the best in the world”. But, while Brett has produced champions, he was not a champion himself. The term “super coach” describes tennis giants such as Boris Becker, who is working with Novak Djokovic, and Stefan Edberg, now employed by Roger Federer.

“I do not like the phrase ‘super coach’,” says Ivanisevic. “Coaches are good and bad. Some can help you, some cannot help you. Guys that have never won a Grand Slam can be good coaches. Some guys who have won a Grand Slam are not good coaches. But it helps to have done something in the game. Because you have been in those positions, it is easier for you to explain to the players what they can expect.”

Some believe that Lendl’s contribution to Murray was best illustrated not in the performances which finally sealed the Scot’s first Wimbledon triumph last year, but in the way the player reacted to losing the final 12 months earlier. This is where Lendl, who twice finished runner-up in SW19, earned his keep. “Nobody can understand how you can feel to lose the final at Wimbledon unless you have been there, especially Wimbledon,” says Ivanisevic. “I mean I experienced it three times! I know how it feels.”

“It is not for me to say,” he continues, when asked to nominate some potential successors to Lendl. “It is tricky. There are many reasons to pick a coach. First of all you need a coach who speaks the same language! I always say the best tennis coaches are the ex-tennis players, because they have the time, and they know how it is, and can teach you something. You just need to find someone who can teach you in the right way. It is not easy. It is not something you want to do in a hurry. But Andy does not have to rush. He is going to find one sooner or later, and he is going to do OK.

“Ivan did a great job,” he adds. “He made Andy believe, and he made him more aggressive, and he made changes to his game. It was the perfect match.”

Ivanisevic is enjoying working with Cilic, who is continuing his comeback after being banned for a failed drugs test last year, after what was described as “incautious use of glucose”. Cilic, now 25, has already beaten Murray this year, in Rotterdam.

“I have known him since he was 14,” says Ivanisevic of Cilic. “I am his coach, I am his friend. I speak the same language so it is easier for him. It is my job to make him more relaxed, and hopefully make him better on the court. I can see him improving. He is still very far from what I have in my mind. He is on a good run. I am expecting him to be in top ten, hopefully pretty soon. In a couple of months’ time if everything goes well.”

The life of a coach can be stressful, admits Ivanisevic. On the road with his charge for over 20 weeks a year, the rewards are seeing slight improvements in Cilic’s game. “But in matches you can’t do anything,” adds Ivanisevic. “You can only pray!”

Ivanisevic makes sure he keeps himself fit as well since he still has his own playing obligations to fulfil, including a return to Edinburgh in June. As we know from Naples, where the Great Britain Davis Cup team. Murray included, are engaged in a World group quarter-final clash with Italy, nowhere is guaranteed good weather. So it is right that Edinburgh should be permitted a second chance to host Brodies Champions of Tennis this summer, after last year’s event fell victim to a combination of driving rain and a bespoke roof that proved unable to keep the court dry. Lessons have been learned. In any case, it takes more than rain to dampen the enthusiasm of the irrepressible Ivanisevic.

“We just hope the weather can be more kind,” he says. “I love Scotland. It was the first time I have been there.” He remembers sensing the excitement building as Murray prepared to go a step further than the previous year at Wimbledon. Ivanisevic reminds you that he correctly predicted a Murray v Djokovic final. But then he did get the winner wrong, plumping for Djokovic. Even super coaches cannot know everything.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis...oach-1-3366990
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #195
country flag RU90

Interview with Goran Ivanišević, the coach of Marin Čilić, in l'Equipe:

Quote:
(We didn't think of you as a coach while you were playing) To be honest, I didn't either. When you're playing, you think of your training, your matches, your tournaments. It's tennis, tennis, tennis. But after a while it gives you a love for the sport and then a desire to pass it on to others. I always liked helping kids. But it took ten years before I came back to the tour.

(Could you have coached a player other than Marin?) Maybe. But this was the best solution because I've known him since he was 14½. I introduced him to Bob (Brett, his old Australian coach), I followed his career, I was helping him, and working with him is easy. He's one of the nicest guys I know. He listens, we speak the same language, everything's easy. When he asked me to help him last year, I told myself I was ready. Unfortunately this crap happened ... having to stop for four months for no reason.

(Doping suspension - how do you coach a player who isn't playing tournaments?) It was tough. You're accused of something you didn't do, for nothing, when you're ready, 11 in the world and motivated. You can't play and you're not even hurt. We trained and asked ourselves what for. And when Marin stayed strong mentally, I was really proud of him.

(changed his serve during the suspension) I've always said his serve wasn't good enough considering his height (1.98m). I wanted him to be more aggressive too, attack any shot that was the slightest bit short. It wasn't easy in the beginning changing habits he's had for 8-9 years. But he accepted very quickly. The offensive game took longer. So I told him: "Mate, if you have a Ferrari but you leave it in the garage and only take it out on Saturdays, sell it!" You need something big to be a top player, if not, you have no chance. There have been ups and downs but against Novak at Roland Garros (3rd round loss 6-3,6-2,6-7,6-4) he took every chance. It was the only solution against him. Besides, Novak was nervous that day on Suzanne Langlen. It was the first time I saw Marin not backing up at tough moments. He moved up, like he's done from the beginning of this tournament. His type of player needs to play like that. No other way.

(Do better here than at Roland Garros?) Absolutely. It's faster here. He learned from Indian Wells too where he won the first set 6-1 (lost 1-6,6-2,6-3) before backing off. And he has nothing to lose, he's hitting the ball really well, and he can make a dent.

(Djoković impresses you?) I'm a fan of Novak's as long as he's not playing a Croat. I'm always solidly behind him,. He's a super guy. We're mates, he's one of my favourite players, if not the favourite. He's unbelievable, so fast, the ball always is returned, and often so close to the lines it's unplayable. He's without a doubt the greatest returner in history. His serve has improved enormously, he always places it perfectly at tense moments. He puts you under pressure then, and if you let him, he pushes you around like you're an insect. He steps on you and you're dead.

(Back to Marin, he doesn't have the same temperament as you, more introverted) Everybody's not like me. He's calmer, but on the court, I want him to show his emotions. I want to see him bothered - it's not normal that I'm more bothered than he is. I told him: "Come on! You lost! Show me you're more pissed off than I am. I don't care if you complain or yell, I want some emotion!" That's what he's done here. Even at 40-0, he doesn't let go.

(Memories of you're win here in 2001?) The certainty that it would never happen again. Now there's a roof, the tournament will always end on Sunday. There will never be another Monday final. That day, anyone could buy a ticket, it was first come, first served, and the result was a football atmosphere, it was unreal and I'll never forget it. I like to come here a week before the tournament starts, walk around the grounds alone, and just breath in each court, each moment I've lived here since the first time I came here in 1988. A lot of things have changed, but it's still a unique place.