Hi .... I have trouble with my continental grip serve!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
country flag Want2bGreat

Want2bGreat is on a distinguished road
Default Hi .... I have trouble with my continental grip serve!!

I have recently picked up tennis as a sport .... I just realized (After weeks of practicing my serve) that i start off my serve motion with the continental grip but during the trophy pose (while the ball is tossed) i change my grip to an eastern forehand grip (The fying pan grip) .... Now since then i've tried the continental grip serve and it just feels awkward and i don't feel any power coming off the serve .... how can i improve? I am taking coaching too and my instructor picked up on that immediately when i was serving. Is it a matter of practice ?
Want2bGreat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
country flag Want2bGreat

Want2bGreat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi .... I have trouble with my continental grip serve!!

No relpies?
Want2bGreat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
country flag Smasher

Smasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond reputeSmasher has a reputation beyond repute

It is a matter of practise and first of all quality of practise. Don't practise the full swing straight away with the new grip. You want to get comfortable with the pronation and the grip before doing your whole service motion.

Watch some videos from http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/ for instance. They have some decent material there.
Smasher is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

It felt weird when I first was told to do it as well. The key is the wrist. You cannot swing the same way you would with the forehand grip, loosen the wrist and don't be afraid to let it fly at the ball.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your continental grip. The serve is the hardest part in the begining to master so you cannot learn it wrongly.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
country flag fleabitten

fleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond reputefleabitten has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not sure what you are doing to switch grips. Are you sure that you are hitting the serve with the Eastern forhand grip? If so, is your motion like an American Twist serve?
fleabitten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
country flag Donnay Quixote

Donnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond reputeDonnay Quixote has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2bGreat View Post
I have recently picked up tennis as a sport .... I just realized (After weeks of practicing my serve) that i start off my serve motion with the continental grip but during the trophy pose (while the ball is tossed) i change my grip to an eastern forehand grip (The fying pan grip) .... Now since then i've tried the continental grip serve and it just feels awkward and i don't feel any power coming off the serve .... how can i improve? I am taking coaching too and my instructor picked up on that immediately when i was serving. Is it a matter of practice ?
There's a product called I thnk the power V or the wedge or something. But you can just get five pieces of double sided tape and put it on the top bevel of the eastern forehand, it should be about three inches long.

What this does is lock your hand into the continental or any grip for that matter. Bolleteri used it in his training as well. It's an awesome trick.

Check it out here: http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/
Donnay Quixote is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
country flag FMeier

FMeier is on a distinguished road

Definitely keep the grip! It takes a while to master this grip but it is well worth it.

What I would recommend is to hit a lot of serves from somewhere in between your service line and baseline. Simply aim straightforward and make sure you do not change the grip. The idea is to hit a lot of balls with the grip and NOT worry about where they end up. If you serve from the baseline and try to get it in the box right away you will probably get frustrated with this grip and might change it again!

Good Luck!

--------------------
Florian Meier
www.onlinetennisinstruction.com
FMeier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
country flag Lara Richards

Lara Richards is on a distinguished road

Yeah keep the grip! It's really hard to master this but once you get used to it, your serve will be a killer for sure. By the way, I found a tennis website that offers free PDF to improve your serve instantly. It's pretty effective for me. Try to download it from this site - http://tennisbully.com/
Lara Richards is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
country flag pferg

pferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond reputepferg has a reputation beyond repute

When serving, remember to keep your hand up after the toss. It will help stop you from hunching over and hitting your serve in the net. Difficult to remember to do, but well worth it!

Join your local tennis ladder for free.
Find new hitting partners.
Challenge yourself to climb the ladder!
pferg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

i tried changing my grip for serving recently as i have heard that apparently people try serve with a certain grip that actually inabiltis there wrist snap . changed my grip but still getting used to it. it tends to go way too extreme sometimes and i just restort to kick serves as the new grip i serve with makes it very hard to keep the racket face open when serving.
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote