The most dramatic 5 sets match since 2000! - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: The most dramatic 5 setter since 2000

2001 Wimbledon Semifinal Rafter VS Agassi 9 2.68%
2001 US Open 2nd Rnd Hewitt VS Blake 2 0.60%
2001 US Open Quarterfinal Hewitt VS Roddick 6 1.79%
2004 Roland Garros 2nd Rnd Safin VS Mantilla 0 0%
2004 Roland Garros Final Gaudio VS Coria 92 27.38%
2005 Australian Open Semifinal Safin VS Federer 146 43.45%
2005 TMS Miami Final Federer VS Nadal 19 5.65%
2005 US Open 1st Rnd Djokovic VS Monfils 2 0.60%
2006 Australian Open Quarterfinal Kiefer VS Grosjean 6 1.79%
Other (please specify) 54 16.07%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #121
country flag wally1

wally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most dramatic 5 sets match since 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
Roland Garros 2004
Vince Spadea overcame nine match points (4th and 5th set) to beat Florent Serra 7-5, 1-6, 4-6, 7-6(7), 9-7. Spadea rallied from a 1-5 deficit in the final set of a 4 1/2 hour match.
Hey, I was at that match! Was it ever televised, as it was on one of the RG outside courts? I was actually only on that court as Greg Rusedski was playing on the court next to it, which was full (he lost the last two sets 6-0 I remember!), and I was standing on my chair to look over the fence. It was a very hot day, and I remember these American guys chanting "let's go Vince, let's go!" over and over...
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #122
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1 View Post
Hey, I was at that match! Was it ever televised, as it was on one of the RG outside courts? I was actually only on that court as Greg Rusedski was playing on the court next to it, which was full (he lost the last two sets 6-0 I remember!), and I was standing on my chair to look over the fence. It was a very hot day, and I remember these American guys chanting "let's go Vince, let's go!" over and over...
What was the reaction of Serra after this match? Do you remember? It was terrible defeat. He should devastated his racquet
Rusedski lost to Verdasco 6-7(7) 0-6 0-6 that day.
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #123
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised the Younes/Roddick 5 set Ao thriller isn't up there. Anytime "5 sets" and "dramatic" are put into a sentence, I think this match comes up in almost everybody's minds. For the list that's given, the Roland Garros 2004 easily runs away with it.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #124
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Ivanisevic-Henman, and Ivanisevic-Rafter, Wimbledon 2001., of course...

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #125
country flag Byrd

Byrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond reputeByrd has a reputation beyond repute

Tursunov-Roddick at Davis cup wasn't bad this year, it was like 23-21 in the 5th wasn't it?
Byrd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #126
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
Tursunov-Roddick at Davis cup wasn't bad this year, it was like 23-21 in the 5th wasn't it?
17-15
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #127
country flag wally1

wally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo de Mar View Post
What was the reaction of Serra after this match? Do you remember? It was terrible defeat. He should devastated his racquet
Rusedski lost to Verdasco 6-7(7) 0-6 0-6 that day.
I have to confess I left at the end of the 4th set, as I was desperate for a drink and the toilet and there was no chance to really watch the match after that, as there was a big crowd around the court. I didn't give Spadea a prayer at the end of the 3rd so great credit to him for coming back.
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #128
country flag lephter

lephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond reputelephter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
i can't believe you didn't put ivanisevic vs. rafter in the poll (ok, there's an others option, but still)

1) high level of tennis
2) strange circumstances
3) best crowd ever
4) the last 5 minutes were the most intense in any tennis match, ever

I am big fan of Goran since...forever.I have to agree,the wimbledon 2001 final was the most dramatic tennis match i have ever seen.Number 125th at that time,reaching match point to win his first grandslam ever,...Goran always stated that his dream was to win wimbledon once...Nobody gave him a chance to win it at the start of the tournament and he prooved them all wrong.
When he reached match point the camera zoomed-out on his face as he asked the ball boy for a ball...he had tears in his eyes.He just couldn't believe he was one single ball distance from achieving his life dream.
Not very often you get to see such emotion on a tennis court.
maybe i am not biased but i honestly think i have never seen such emotion on a tennis court from a tennis player.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #129
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Mirnyi def. Safin DC 2004 1st round: 7-6(3) 7-6(5) 1-6 4-6 11-9
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #130
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

surprised to see Safin-Mantilla with no votes

that match had a lot of drama in that 5th set

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #131
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to vote, Gaudio-Coria would get it. Find it a bit odd that Nadal-Coria Rome Final is not on the list, it was the match of 2005. And the best clay court match I've ever seen (inc. Federer-Nadal Rome F), it was simply the art of clay court tennis.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #132
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

The most bizzare ever match is definetly Gaudio-Coria RG final. I mean...even from the result you say: what the hell was going on?
0/6 3/6 6/4 6/1 8/6
Coria was playing like a 5-year old in the forth set, have never seen a player suffering like that.

Ivanisević - Rafter is also unforgetable. I almost got nervous breakdown watching Goran in the fifth set. My goodness, I was happy when he finally won, when it looked like he has lost it again...

But, the match of all matches, including match point saving, beating Federer and having high-quality tennis is...look at my signature

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
Petra Quitova
Stan the Slam?
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #133
country flag Alonsofz

Alonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond reputeAlonsofz has a reputation beyond repute

Santoro-Clément RG 2004 and Federer-Nalbandian TMC 2005.

If you like tennis and speak spanish enter here!
Alonsofz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #134
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond repute

Federer-Nadal 2008 Wimbledon
Federer-Roddick 2009 Wimbledon

Classic, epic matches.

Currently supporting whoever entertains me.
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #135
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of sheer drama, what was at stake and how it would alter the fabric of the tennis world, it's got to be Wimbledon 2008 final.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote