Rank the current Top 10 by their level of 'underachievement' - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
country flag PileDrive

PileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond reputePileDrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rank the current Top 10 by their level of 'underachievement'

1. Tsonga: Already beaten all big 4 at Slams, frightening peak level on fast surfaces, yet to develop a reliable backhand to succor him when he is not totally in the zone..He failed to return to a Slam final since AO'08. Only 1 M1000 title and 1 RU plate.

2. Del Potro: Injuries ruined his all too evident ascendant power at the end of 2009. He most have likely gatecrashed the Nadal's and Djokovic's historic 2010 and 2011 seasons..Yet to win something above 500 titles ever since USO'09; lost all of his three tight M1000 finals, and two of the most heartbreaking/sublime Grass matches of the past decade (Wimbledon SF'13, OG'12 SF) .

3. Berdych: Injury-free since his now distant breakthrough in Bercy'05; equipped with versatile easy power game, but remains a mental midget with pitiful title haul (8 from 19 Finals).

4. Djokovic: The "lost" tennis Years (2009/2010) after registering on the the Slam map in AO'08 may prove the difference between him and double digit Majors count for a so-called 1st tier Great; mopped around in other two Slam finals (USO'12, Wimbledon'13)..

5. Murray: Failed to beat post-peak Federer-at-Slams until too late. Too inconsistent, and his mega Clay mugginess,never allowed him to sniff the #1 while once holding two Slams and one OG. A pedestrian WTF record (never reached the Final) for someone who excelled in the best of three format (9 M1000 titles)

6. Federer: Never solved Rafa at RG in 5 occasions, flopped in three Olympics singles (including two during his prime, one right after he won Wimbledon).

7. Nadal: His surface limitations and his physical shape late in the season never allowed a serious a run at maiden WTF; too short a stay at #1 (104 weeks) for someone of his caliber (13 GS), his dodgy knees forced him to skip few Slams that could prove costly in his pursuit of Federer all-time record wins ..

8. Wawrinka: His game badly matches up with the big guns (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic) where he is at his most mentally brittle self ; but surely better than a lowly 4 ATP career titles considering his Clay prowess..

9. Gasquet: Flashy backhand, and that is it..

10. Ferrer: Weaponless for most part; benefited from relatively homogenized era; horrible big match player whose stamina and hard work allowed him to lord it over low-ranked and unfit opponents to achieve that much in a decent late career that is now starting to unravel..

Last edited by PileDrive : 10-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
PileDrive is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the current Top 10 by their level of 'underachievement'

I've read more threads on underachievement this week than in 2 years on MTF
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
country flag Rychu
Thumps Chest Repeatedly

Rychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond reputeRychu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I've read more threads on underachievement this week than in 2 years on MTF
so true

Thiem - Kyrgios - Fognini - Monfils - Djokovic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrabs View Post
How can anybody say anything other than Raonic. Not only is his game ugly, but he himself looks like a lumbering troll. It's like you got the body of somebody who is 5'8 and put it on giant oversized legs.
Rychu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

1. del Potro - through no particular fault of his own
2. Djokovic
3. Tsonga
4. Berdych
5. Federer
6. Nadal
7. Wawrinka
8. Gasquet
9. Ferrer
10. Murray - an embarrassment that he has one slam to his name
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
country flag Matthew2408

Matthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew2408 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
1. del Potro - through no particular fault of his own
2. Djokovic
3. Tsonga
4. Berdych
5. Federer
6. Nadal
7. Wawrinka
8. Gasquet
9. Ferrer
10. Murray - an embarrassment that he has one slam to his name
One?
Matthew2408 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew2408 View Post
One?
I'm not sure what you're asking. He finally broke his duck this year with a fairly underwhelming win at Wimbledon. Beating such titans on grass as Janowicz and Verdasco.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
country flag Qampunen

Qampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond reputeQampunen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. He finally broke his duck this year with a fairly underwhelming win at Wimbledon. Beating such titans on grass as Janowicz and Verdasco.
He won the 2012 US Open.

Benjamin Becker

Michael Russell

Iván Navarro
Qampunen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a bit harsh to label del Potro an underachiever, since considering his luck with injuries his career is actually rather extraordinary. I don't know, just always seemed a bit questionable to me to label injury-prone players underachievers because it's really through no fault of their own.

Going by the criteria you propose though - ie injury-derailed careers counting for underachieving purposes - I'd say:

1-del Potro
2-Tsonga
3-Berdych
4-Wawrinka
5-Djokovic
6-Murray
7-Nadal
8-Federer
9-Gasquet
10-Ferrer

Only the top 4 in that list are actual underachievers in that context though - it'd be crazy to call Federer, Nadal or Djokovic underachievers given their resumés - those are examples of players who fully lived up to their potential.

If you take injuries into account, Berdych and Wawrinka are the real underachievers in the top 10. They have 12 ATP titles combined, pretty mediocre numbers considering they are 28 and never had any major injuries.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
country flag Baseline86
Banned!

Baseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Seems a bit harsh to label del Potro an underachiever, since considering his luck with injuries his career is actually rather extraordinary. I don't know, just always seemed a bit questionable to me to label injury-prone players underachievers because it's really through no fault of their own.

Going by the criteria you propose though - ie injury-derailed careers counting for underachieving purposes - I'd say:

1-del Potro
2-Tsonga
3-Berdych
4-Wawrinka
5-Djokovic
6-Murray
7-Nadal
8-Federer
9-Gasquet
10-Ferrer

Only the top 4 in that list are actual underachievers in that context though - it'd be crazy to call Federer, Nadal or Djokovic underachievers given their resumés - those are examples of players who fully lived up to their potential.

If you take injuries into account, Berdych and Wawrinka are the real underachievers in the top 10. They have 12 ATP titles combined, pretty mediocre numbers considering they are 28 and never had any major injuries.
This.
Baseline86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
country flag Abel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qampunen View Post
He won the 2012 US Open.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

This one's interesting

1. Berdych - tremendous underachiever: so much talent
2. Wawrinka - tremendous underachiever: so much talent
3. Del Potro - tremendous underachiever: at least he won a Slam
4. Djokovic - underachiever but slowly getting where he should be
5. Gasquet - underachiever but not by THAT much
6. Murray - slight underachiever
7. Tsonga - about where he should be IMO
8. Nadal - slight overachiever
9. Federer - Overachieverer (but obviously very talented)
10. Ferrer - overachiever: not that much natural talent IMO

Number 1 and 2 are almost interchangable. So are 4 and 5. Number 10 is set in stone
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
country flag Baseline86
Banned!

Baseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond reputeBaseline86 has a reputation beyond repute

Textbook underachievers are Wawa and birdy, the others dont even come close. The fact that delpo won USO put him way below the underachiever prize.
Baseline86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

1. Berdych
2. Del Potro
3. Wawrinka
4. Tsonga
5. Gasquet
6. Ferrer
7. Djokovic
8. Nadal
9. Murray
10. Federer

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
heya

heya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond reputeheya has a reputation beyond repute

Fed required CPR while facing
injured old Agassi, cramped Djoker,
exhausted Nadal, Hewitt, Baghdatis,
weaponless chunky Duck, choker Delpo,
tiebreak king Seppi, Stakhovsky, Ramirez-Hidalgo,
Gulbis, Volandri, Melzer, Brands, Del Bonis,
Mantilla, Ancic, Canas, "steely" Almagro, stiff Benneteau,
Falla, circus rubberman Monfils,
bust Tsonga & clown Berdych.
Yeah, underachiever extraordinaire
on clay, hardcourt & grass.
GOAT in his mind. *rolls on ground, waves finger
heya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond reputeQuitYerWhining has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is classic MTF.

Currently supporting whoever entertains me.
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote