+ 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive? - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Whic streak is the most impressive?

Borg 19 40.43%
Federer 13 27.66%
Lendl 2 4.26%
McEnroe 3 6.38%
Vilas 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #166
country flag BringBakTehGrass

BringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond reputeBringBakTehGrass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: + 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
I do not see how that argument refutes Bialik's argument:

"Winning those may be even harder than winning a major, judging from top players’ records in those events: Though there are nine each season, Federer has just 17 titles compared to 16 at the four-times-a-year majors, while Nadal has the most Masters titles ever — 19"
The argument's bullshit to anyone with a brain. Top players don't put 100% into the Masters, so they don't win as many. Simple.
__________________________________________________ ____________
BringBakTehGrass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #167
country flag indianabones

indianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond reputeindianabones has a reputation beyond repute

For me masters are often quite a challenge. Take for example what Del Potro would have had to do to win IW masters this year. That run of matches he was having to play was so difficult.
indianabones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #168
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
I think Sampras's best streak was 29 straight victories from February to May 1994. He won titles at Indian Wells, Miami, Osaka, Tokyo and Rome, and his first 2 matches at the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf before Stich beat him there. 1993-1994 was the most dominant period of his career.

Agassi's best streak was 26 straight victories during the summer of 1995, when he won titles at Washington, Montreal, Cincinnati and New Haven and lost the US Open final Sampras, definitely the most important match of their rivalry IMO and a defeat which psychologically crushed Agassi.
Didn't he win the AO in 94 as well? Only time he won 3 straight slams if I remember right. Guessing he lost between then and IW?

I remember Agassi being ruined by that US Open final loss.

Also, Agassi had 3 out of 4 majors in 99-00, but lost Wimbledon (and the Year End) to Sampras, who then tore it up until he had to put out of the US Open that year with an injury...

They both wrecked each other's streaks.
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #169
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Didn't he win the AO in 94 as well? Only time he won 3 straight slams if I remember right. Guessing he lost between then and IW?

I remember Agassi being ruined by that US Open final loss.

Also, Agassi had 3 out of 4 majors in 99-00, but lost Wimbledon (and the Year End) to Sampras, who then tore it up until he had to put out of the US Open that year with an injury...

They both wrecked each other's streaks.
Yeah after winning the titles at Sydney and Australian Open in 1994, Sampras lost to Jacob Eltingh in the first round at Phildelphia, before going on to win those next 5 tournaments he entered.

Sampras's record and attitude at the smaller events could be strange. Sometimes he would completely half-ass it and not really care at all at some events, but care a lot more at others win or lose. For his instance his defeat to Alami at Doha at the start of 1994 was a blatant tank with him pocketing his huge appearance fee before getting of there as soon as possible. Agassi also tanked quite a bit in the 90s as well, and thus it was unlikely either of them were going to put together too many long winning streaks.

And Sampras's 24 match winning streak in the summer of 1999 which included 3 straight sets victories over Agassi was his best tennis since 1993-1994. He was no longer weighed down by the burden of chasing the consecutive year end no. 1 record having broken it the previous year, and played with such freedom. He would have been the red hot favourite to win the USO had his herniated disc injury in his lower back not forced him withdraw. Then again during that spell on the sidelines he first met his wife-to-be Bridgette, so that injury turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to him.

And after the most dominant period of his career from Wimbledon 1993 to Wimbledon 1994, he injured his left ankle that summer, and couldn't play a single warm-up match ahead of the US Open. He physically hit the wall during his 4th round match against Yzaga, and was suffering from a lot of pain his left ankle, right foot and back, but fought as hard as he possibly could.

Last edited by LeChuck : 10-11-2013 at 07:34 AM.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #170
country flag Schumacher

Schumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond reputeSchumacher has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I didn't know about this Borg's streak.

Really impressive.
Schumacher is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote