FiBeR's Journalism breakthrough quest Thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FiBeR's Journalism breakthrough quest Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiBeR View Post
awesome!! how was the experience? why did you quit it??

wider.. ive written just for pleasure about politics.. and I also used to keep a travel journal.. i pretty much enjoy writing..

of course, if i have to choose, ill write about tennis but then again.. i really fancy writing about almost everything
newspapers I worked in got terminated. it was all a hoax to clean some dirty money I think. it was solid papers for those circumstances and the crew I worked with in city-edition was real good with great editor. but ultimately it wasnt for me, I went back to faculty, so... all in all, great experience and loads of fun.

thing I figured out, is that best journalists are those who have their zone of interest. there are many bullshit-ers who want to 'express' themselves, but writing is like 10 percent of this profession, rest is information, or beter - the ability to reach information. that can best be done through detailed knowledge of a particular field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
Journalism as a career is a lie.
can be but is not always. looking at some examples, it can be a fantastic job. not everybody is for that though. I think journalists (and perhaps cops) have the lowest 'life expectancy' rate in the world. its the stress that often goes to booze and fags.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

ok..

-a lie
-stress
-no pay
-no steady job

dont worry Im not let down by this

I still believe some succeed.. and I feel I ll be one of those. None in my class has a paper published.. I have 2.. even though they re as small as a rice bean

Moreover, today during a field work, I was the only one clever enough to print the survey we had to do (I thought it'd look better) and got a lot of attention from the professor for that. I was told that by some classmates I cant believe people actually find that a highlight

regarging Palermo and the 3 penalties.. yeah I know it is a story but if you compare winning a grand slam to missing 3 penalties on a practise session on a given wednesday.. I kind of stay with the Grand Slam story.. especially when your country had only 6, and 4 coming from a man in the 70s...

Now it's 7

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida View Post
can be but is not always. looking at some examples, it can be a fantastic job. not everybody is for that though. I think journalists (and perhaps cops) have the lowest 'life expectancy' rate in the world. its the stress that often goes to booze and fags.
What I mean is: anyone can be a journalist. Journalism as a course doesn't teach you anything special. I feel someone who studied literature probably could be a much better journalist. Also, anyone who can write well can be a journalist, provided that person has a chance.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Ray, I don't want to scare you, but the better you are the more enemies you'll have and it's possible you come to the point the influential people who used to help you will see you as a threat. People will talk shit about you behind your back or will demand sex from you (ok, maybe not from you) and when they close one of the papers due to the traditional media crisis (things moving to the internet) you may stay without a job even for a few months. I'm 23 and I've been writing for a living for the last 5 years. Been literally everywhere. I can't believe I was so naive and wanted to drop my law school for doing full time journalism because I was published and made money off it. No. You do need a second job, or do it like shotgun said. You'll also see how much independence it gives you - you'll never be forced to crawl in front of the editor or write the way somebody tells you to write. Gu makes a lot of sense with what he says. Journalists are the people who know nothing but must be ready to write about everything.
Anyway all the best for you.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Ray, I don't want to scare you, but the better you are the more enemies you'll have and it's possible you come to the point the influential people who used to help you will see you as a threat. People will talk shit about you behind your back or will demand sex from you (ok, maybe not from you) and when they close one of the papers due to the traditional media crisis (things moving to the internet) you may stay without a job even for a few months. I'm 23 and I've been writing for a living for the last 5 years. Been literally everywhere. I can't believe I was so naive and wanted to drop my law school for doing full time journalism because I was published and made money off it. No. You do need a second job, or do it like shotgun said. You'll also see how much independence it gives you - you'll never be forced to crawl in front of the editor or write the way somebody tells you to write. Gu makes a lot of sense with what he says. Journalists are the people who know nothing but must be ready to write about everything.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #21
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What I mean is: anyone can be a journalist. Journalism as a course doesn't teach you anything special. I feel someone who studied literature probably could be a much better journalist. Also, anyone who can write well can be a journalist, provided that person has a chance.
I agree to a certain extent. Most journalists are certainly not writers, though. Taking a journalism course is one way to stunt creativity. You are taught to avoid using adjectives and your pieces are expected to be indistinguishable. That was one of the reasons I left the course.

Shorthand is a nice skill, though.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #22
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Ray about the sex part I mean that's what's usually happening to women, I didn't mean to sound harsh (maybe just wanted to achieve 2 meanings ). BTW I read your articles and I easily seen you wrote with passion (adding stats normally no one would bother to find hehe). Cheers mate.

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
disagree here. being a good journalist requires a)very fast learning ability b)great communication skills c)big pair of stones.

definitely not everyone is up for it. problem lies in the position of print media now-days that are loosing its commercial battle with cable tv and internet. so consequently the classic journo profession is slowly ceasing to exist, thus the impression everyone can do it.

Quote:
very good post, I had similar experience in sense there are lots of scheming behind. kinda, being a journo is about information, and the 'closest' information is about your co-workers. so...
my benefit was this 'I dont really give a f... about that' attitude so plenny of people tried to suck up to me (which was kinda nice ). I also had a good crew around me and a great mentor. older guy who's been through a lot and showed me the 'ways'.

Quote:
Ah, Ray about the sex part I mean that's what's usually happening to women, I didn't mean to sound harsh (maybe just wanted to achieve 2 meanings ). BTW I read your articles and I easily seen you wrote with passion (adding stats normally no one would bother to find hehe). Cheers mate.
yes, there is lots of sex in that business. big part of that 'behind the back' stuff is related to it.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Fiberin!

Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

just found this thread good luck
Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #26
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond reputeFiBeR has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... it's been a long long time, but I will keep the spirit going and update this thread.

This thread started on my very beginnings of the study of sports journalism. On 2011 I graduated with a job at GRIP magazine, and as Juan Monaco's community manager.

Since then, it's been a rollercoaster. I left my job in mid 2012 to start working and giving shape to two tennis magazines, one of which was about latin american tennis. They are Foot Fault magazine and Tennis Mañana. I still colaborate in Revista Line, and this year I tried a radio show, but it just didnt happen.

This 2013, I started working at ESPN as a producer, writing the scripts of Court Central, as well as working on the tv broadcast of Masters 1000 and Grand Slams. Court Central is a 1 hour weekly show focused not only on the news regarding the ATP world.. but about the story. It brings an artistic approach to the tennis world, enphasizing the show part.

It's been a great journey so far. Every season a new challenge... and every challenge a new conquest. Yeah not everyday was great, but overall it's worth the trouble.

Got the chance to talk to some world n1s, top tens, top 100s, latin american players, tennis legends, tennis parents, davis cup players and captains, fed cup players and captains, journalism legends, been to a Davis Cup final, got to work at an ATP tournament, managed a player's community manager and helped him interact with press... yeah, I m having a lot of fun!

I love tennis, just wanted to keep an update for you all. Thanks for the support. I still feel that when you follow your dream hard enough, anything is possible. Never let people drag you down, or let yourself down thinking it is too hard. Always keep chasing your dreams, and you will succeed, as long as you work hard enough and get lucky enough to prove yourself worthy.

Sorewa ore no Nindou da

6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 70-68

Last edited by FiBeR : 10-04-2013 at 03:06 AM.
FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #27
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, mate.
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

congrats to you
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
country flag Nadie

Nadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond reputeNadie has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Ray
Nadie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
country flag Andresito

Andresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond repute

Felicitaciones!

Menos mal que pasaste de ingeniería industrial a las ciencias sociales: ahora podés distinguir entre minas lindas y feas.

Argentum Virtus Robur et Studium
Andresito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote