The reality is that del Potro is easily the fourth best tennis player in the world - Page 73 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is del Potro the fifth best tennis player on planet Earth at the moment?

Yes, easily 81 29.14%
It's between him and Berdych/Tsonga or both 59 21.22%
No, Ferrer is 110 39.57%
He's one of the best four 28 10.07%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #1081
country flag Big Bodacious

Big Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bodacious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
He's better than any '90s born player at the moment but Dimitrov is obviously more talented. I'd be amazed if he didn't win at least 3-5 slams. He just has far more to his game than delPo does.
Too much trolling right there
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #1082
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality is that del Potro is easily the fifth best tennis player in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
So I'm confused; is head to head the important thing now or whether you win titles?

You guys seem to switch it up a lot on which criteria are important depending on which guy you like.
Del Potro is the fourth best player right now, not to do with H2H but to do with his ability, his potential to win big tournaments, and even his health, despite his fitness/injury problems beating him in a slam/big tournament is still a tough ask.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #1083
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili View Post
That's precisely what makes him 4th or 5th best player.
Why does it matter if he is 4th favorite to win another Slam if he never does, and just keeps losing in early rounds instead?
You can't really "prove" who is 4th favorite to win a Slam, if the only ones who win are the Big 4/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
He's better than any '90s born player at the moment but Dimitrov is obviously more talented. I'd be amazed if he didn't win at least 3-5 slams. He just has far more to his game than delPo does.
Agreed. Mr. Sharapov is obviously a more talented player despite being severely mentally weaker. The mental, and physical stamina is the only thing keeping him down.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #1084
country flag tribalfusion

tribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond reputetribalfusion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Del Potro is the fourth best player right now, not to do with H2H but to do with his ability, his potential to win big tournaments, and even his health, despite his fitness/injury problems beating him in a slam/big tournament is still a tough ask.
So you subjectively evaluate him then. Got it. Because I haven't seen him winning slams or big titles in quite some time and if you want to say he gave Djokovic a tough match or two so did Wawrinka for that matter or Dimitrov.

It seems to me that when you like someone's style of play you make up criteria for his superiority ad hoc.
tribalfusion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #1085
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you subjectively evaluate him then. Got it. Because I haven't seen him winning slams or big titles in quite some time and if you want to say he gave Djokovic a tough match or two so did Wawrinka for that matter or Dimitrov.

It seems to me that when you like someone's style of play you make up criteria for his superiority ad hoc.
I wouldn't say Del Potro's style of play was anywhere near my favourite. I'm pretty neutral to him overall.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #1086
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Why does it matter if he is 4th favorite to win another Slam if he never does, and just keeps losing in early rounds instead?
You can't really "prove" who is 4th favorite to win a Slam, if the only ones who win are the Big 4/3

Agreed. Mr. Sharapov is obviously a more talented player despite being severely mentally weaker. The mental, and physical stamina is the only thing keeping him down.

So delusional.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #1087
country flag chili

chili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
He is not losing that early, this year was crap though.

Del Potro at slams in the last two years

2R SF 3R QF 4R QF QF

Berdych

R16 QF 1R QF SF 1R R16 QF

Tsonga

2R SF QF 2R SF QF R16

Even Nadal and Federer had their share of early losses recently.

How to "prove" who has a better chance? Well if Del Potro meets Berdych or Tsonga in a GS match and they are in normal form Del Potro would be favorite almost every time. He is 5-2 and 4-2 against them and he was bookie favorite on most of the matches even before US Open 2009. 2-0 on slams beating each in 4 sets at RG.

Does it matter? Not that much but being among the favorites means the player is somehow relevant and has some form. Look at Federer, last year he was 2nd or third fave at slams now he is 5th for AO.

Anyway this thread is a bit outdated, notice how Ferrer - Del Potro debates calmed down since Ferrer had a pretty bad year and lost his slam match against Del Potro.

Quote:

So I guess you saw Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych winning slams and big titles lately huh? Well I missed it. Unlike Wawrinka Del Potro actually beat Djokovic lately and Dimitrov lost 2,2,3 at RG to Djokovic.
chili is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #1088
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili View Post
He is not losing that early, this year was crap though.

Del Potro at slams in the last two years

2R SF 3R QF 4R QF QF

Berdych

R16 QF 1R QF SF 1R R16 QF

Tsonga

2R SF QF 2R SF QF R16

Even Nadal and Federer had their share of early losses recently.

How to "prove" who has a better chance? Well if Del Potro meets Berdych or Tsonga in a GS match and they are in normal form Del Potro would be favorite almost every time. He is 5-2 and 4-2 against them and he was bookie favorite on most of the matches even before US Open 2009. 2-0 on slams beating each in 4 sets at RG.

Does it matter? Not that much but being among the favorites means the player is somehow relevant and has some form. Look at Federer, last year he was 2nd or third fave at slams now he is 5th for AO.

Anyway this thread is a bit outdated, notice how Ferrer - Del Potro debates calmed down since Ferrer had a pretty bad year and lost his slam match against Del Potro.

So I guess you saw Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych winning slams and big titles lately huh? Well I missed it. Unlike Wawrinka Del Potro actually beat Djokovic lately and Dimitrov lost 2,2,3 at RG to Djokovic.
Yup, interesting how (relatively) quiet Ferrertards have been ever since Ferrer was routined by his master at Wimbledon

I agree the thread is a bit outdated in a way, or rather most of the discussion, Federer or del Potro for 4th best is the much more pertinent discussion at the moment. If JMDP can stay minimally healthy in 2014, I believe he can make it a top 4 with Murray, Djokovic and Nadal; even if he doesn't, he should still remain the biggest outside threat.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #1089
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

People still try to claim vulture is better than Delpo?

Funny thing is vultures biggest achievement is a MS1000, Delpos was a GS.. there's even lots of questions surrounding vultures MS1000 win. I mean I like Llodra, but him a MS1000 SF ? lol. And we all know that had Ferrer's Final opponent not had to come through qualifying and been so tired, as well as emotionally drained from the best week of his career at that moment in time, he would have destroyed the pushing vulture in 2 sets... instead vulture was disrespectful as hell and resorted to grinding and already knackered JJ to the ground... pathetic .

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #1090
country flag IrelandisMine

IrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond reputeIrelandisMine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyTimes View Post

Funny thing is vultures biggest achievement is a MS1000, Delpos was a GS.. there's even lots of questions surrounding vultures MS1000 win. I mean I like Llodra, but him a MS1000 SF ? lol. And we all know that had Ferrer's Final opponent not had to come through qualifying and been so tired, as well as emotionally drained from the best week of his career at that moment in time, he would have destroyed the pushing vulture in 2 sets... instead vulture was disrespectful as hell and resorted to grinding and already knackered JJ to the ground... pathetic .
This.Couldn't of explained it any better.Great post

Gulbis Wawrinka Paire Thiem
Kyrgios Vesely is the new Goat

Evils of tennis

Dull Tomic Berdych (FANBOY)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timot View Post
So Simon's pushing is as fast as Wiliams' and Kvitova's ballbashing.
How to end a thread http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...0#post23474490
IrelandisMine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #1091

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandisMine View Post
This.Couldn't of explained it any better.Great post
Comparing del Potro and Ferrer was always insanely idiotic anyway; in his first full year on tour, JMDP beat Fedal back to back at the height of their dominance to win a Slam, to think anything Ferrer has done is even remotely comparable is delusional at best.

Just check GS odds, for instance AO now, to see what people who actually need to put their money where their mouth is think. I think, trolls aside, the problem is people are assuming that just because del Potro has so many injuries/surgery and never got to fulfill on the promise he delivered back in 2009, people just assume he's not good at all, but the reality is there are only three or four players better than him.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #1092
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

I firmly believe that if Juan had not got injured so badly, he would have at least 5 slams now.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #1093

Quote:
I firmly believe that if Juan had not got injured so badly, he would have at least 5 slams now.
Well, considering he had just turned 21yo and had such a great season - constantly improving and ending up completing the biggest challenge in tennis by beating Fedal to win a Slam - there's really no telling how good he could have become. He was becoming an increasingly tough proposition for the rest of the field, especially over 5 sets with his relentlessly consistent power shots and strong mentality.

There were some issues of course, he had some problems matching up with players who returned well and were able to withstand his power shots (Hewitt, Djokovic, Murray...) and early hitters like Davydenko. One of the interesting questions going into 2010 was whether he was going to be able to find a way to counter that: unfortunately what happened was that he missed the year to surgery, had to start from scratch 12 months later and only had more and more injuries, so we'll never find out how good he could have become.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #1094
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

currently he probably is the better player
the fact is that Ferrer can consistantly play on a much higher level than Del Potro
it would be different if Del Potro had won the US Open in 2012 or something but it was fucking 2009
his top form has long since dropped, whether or not its sad doesn't really matter, it is what it is
Ferrer beats Del Potro, Tsonga, Berdych, etc. more often than they beat him
Ferrer is much more consistant from tournament to tournament
Ferrer in the last few years has the best GS results of all players NOT named Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray
Ferrer is the only random player to win a Masters 1000 not in the top 4 in the last couple seasons

etc. etc. etc.
don't read too much from that Wimbledon match, grass is arguably Ferrer's worst surface AND it's a terrible matchup (Ferrer's worst surface against an extremely powerful/big server? and virtually no preparation on the surface???)

Ferrer has been better than Del Potro's for seasons

I'm tired of this bullshit comparing players tip top peak. so are we going to hold on to the memory of Del Potro's form from 2008 and 2009 and never move on? the fact is tennis and live do change, and that Del Potro has no real argument for being a better player Ferrer anymore
so what if he beats the tops guys a few times more often. he DOESN'T get the job done week to week and hasn't won big tournaments.
Ferrer leads by a big margin in points, GS success (past few seasons), and even the H2H against all of these players who are 'supposedly' better than him
tennis is a marathon not a sprint. you can be winning the race for the first few laps and have miles to go. Del Potro hasn't lasted and you guys are stuck in the past

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #1095
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

based on what? as great as Del Potro was at US Open 2009 he beat an already declining Federer in 5 sets
not say Federer wasn't playing well and Del Potro wasn't playing good (obviously he was, he smashed Nadal in the SF's).
but what I'm pointing out is, maybe if Juan won US 2009 in straights against Roger would there be merit to think that he might be on some road to domination, but he battled through a very tight final

the fact is Del Potro is easily injured and thats part of the sport
speculation is pointless because its based on nothing except some fascination with Del Potro's one and only grand slam win, one in which he almost lost

so. yes. you're getting carried away.

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote