Joćo and Pedro Sousa - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joćo and Pedro Sousa

Joćo is only defending a little more than 100 points until Roland Garros.
So, if he secures this ammount of points until mid-February, he“ll be a full ATP player at least until the end of next year's clay season. This is more than enough to evaluate how much of a permanent ATP player he can be.
Lots of room for some losses, and time to secure the necessary points to face the period from Roland Garros to US Open, where he defends almost everything.
I clearly see him reaching Top-50 before Roland Garros, if he maintains the sort of form he has revealed in recent month.
Go Joćo!
Gil&becker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
country flag Ramsay

Ramsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond reputeRamsay has a reputation beyond repute

Rised up to 77 ATP this week. Just amazing.

Tennis Tipping

Singles rank: 248
Best tournaments: QF Fut Vigo, 2nd round CH Tampere

Doubles rank: 187
Best tournaments: Semi-finals CH Tampere and CH Pozoblanco (w/volc0mizado), Title CH Beijing (w/lolada_4), 2nd round Roland Garros (w/ Mesut Ozil)
Ramsay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
country flag Gil&becker

Gil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond reputeGil&becker has a reputation beyond repute

Good win by Joćo today against Harrison. Kind of expected, but it is really good to start expecting the goods from Joćo.
Now, if he wins tomorrow against Cuevas, which is surely not impossible, he'll be Top-70 next week!
If he does so, I really hope that he rests afterwards, and do not bust all his breath against Ferrer in QF here. He needs to get to Beijing with some physical capacity left. The good points and money are just starting, and will last for several months, no need to risk exhaustion or some injury, immediately at the beggining of his appearance at the ATP level.
Go Joćo!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
country flag Gil&becker

Been doing some exact math, since I really see it coming, and this will be Portuguese Tennis history unfolding before us.
Joćo Sousa has it all to become Portuguese best player ever in terms of rank, in a short period of time, and maybe even a Top50. And doing it at the ATP level, which is the real thing.
He defends 40 points until the end of the season, but already secured half of it with today's win against Harrison. Then, he defends 57 in January, and 55 in March. Then, nothing really until Roland Garros.
So, to become Portuguese best ever in the ranks he needs this points, plus 160, to get to 58th or higher. To become first Portuguese Top50 ever, he needs those points plus 240.
Impossible? No. Difficult? Yes, particularly Top50. But he is playing so well and has risen in such a steadily manner, that I really see it coming, maybe somewhere between Aussie Open and RG.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
country flag Sauletekis

Sauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond reputeSauletekis has a reputation beyond repute

In my books he's already ahead of Machado, achievment wise, who got to his best ranking only by vulturing the challenger tour like there is no tomorrow. Still a long way from Fred. Fred has a ATP final, a Masters 1000 QF, back to back SF in ATP level, once. They both (Sousa and Gil) have AO 3rd round. The only big thing Sousa has ahead of Gil is results on Indoor HC. But I think in the next year or 2 he will surprass Gil as the undisputed portuguese GOAT. Just a matter of time
Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
country flag Gil&becker

Joćo Sousa did it, won today against Ferrer, and playing so well. Greatest win of his career by far, actually most certainly greatest win for Portuguese Men“s Tennis ever, really confirming that he is now a solid ATP player , this is at least Top50 material. Great heart and mind when facing all those break-points and the set-points in the end. Go Joćo!

Last edited by Gil&becker : 09-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
country flag Gil&becker

This week is turning-out just perfectly for Joćo. He has played for so many hours the last three weeks, but now he bags a lot of points and money, and he will be "forced" to a week rest, since he can no longer play Beijing Qualies. Shorter flight to Shangai, good week of training, and then Master Series and probably Moscow in the following week, where great points are up for grabs.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
country flag Gil&becker

Best week ever of Portuguese Tennis now, second Final at ATP level, with wins against Ferrer and Melzer on the way!
This has to be the month of a lifetime for Joćo Sousa, 3rd round in US Open, led Portugal to Group1 in Davis Cup, SF in St. Petersburg, and now F in Malaysya... Just incredible, this will take him near Top60, 100 points away from Top50! I now consider that he has a chance to do it already this year.
Go Joćo!!!

Last edited by Gil&becker : 09-28-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
country flag TNX1.0E6TOPCA
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

some news and photos, he is doing well lately

26 Sept. 2013 - Kuala Lumpur Round 2 def. Pablo Cuevas 4-6, 7-5, 6-0

Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond reputeTNX1.0E6TOPCA has a reputation beyond repute

27 Sept. 2013 - Kuala Lumpur QF def. David Ferrer 6-2, 7-6(6)

Old 09-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

27 Sept. 2013 - Kuala Lumpur QF def. David Ferrer 6-2, 7-6(6)

MALAYSIAN OPEN 2013

Sousa Shocks Ferrer

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by ATP Staff | 27.09.2013

World No. 77 Joao Sousa recorded the biggest win of his career on Friday as he stunned No. 4-ranked David Ferrer 6-2, 7-6(6) in the quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur.

The Portuguese player was denied a match point opportunity when he served for victory at 5-4 in the second set, before rallying from a 4-6 deficit in the tie-break to prevail in one hour and 38 minutes.

"David is a good player," said Sousa. "He probably didn't play his best today, but tennis is like this. Sometimes you have great days, sometimes you don't. I think I played a great match and I'm really happy to be in the semi-finals here."

The 24-year-old Sousa is enjoying a breakthrough pair of weeks. The right-hander jumped to a career-high No. 77 in the Emirates ATP Rankings this week after reaching his first ATP World Tour semi-final in St. Petersburg last week (l. to Garcia-Lopez). He will play Jurgen Melzer for a place in his first ATP World Tour final.

"Jurgen is a great player," said Sousa. "I played him on clay this year in Acapulco and I won it, but tomorrow is going to be a tough match for me. I'm going to try and recover and be good for tomorrow."

Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

28 Sept. 2013 - Kuala Lumpur SF (def. Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 3-6, 6-4)

Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MALAYSIAN OPEN 2013

Sousa, Benneteau Set Final Showdown

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by ATP Staff | 28.09.2013

World No. 77 Joao Sousa and fifth seed Julien Benneteau will each vie for their maiden ATP World Tour title on Sunday at the Malaysian Open, in Kuala Lumpur.

Sousa became the first player from Portugal to reach an ATP World Tour final since 2010, by overcoming fourth seed Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in two hours and three minutes. The last player from the nation to reach a final was Frederico Gil in Oeiras, Portugal in May 2010.

"It's my first final... I just feel great," said Sousa, who said he's pleased with his performance since the US Open. "It's a great week for me this week."
The 24-year-old Sousa, who produced the best win of his career by defeating top seed David Ferrer in the quarter-finals, is enjoying a breakthrough tournament. The right-hander jumped to a career-high No. 77 in the Emirates ATP Rankings this week after reaching his first ATP World Tour semi-final in St. Petersburg last week (l. to Garcia-Lopez).

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
country flag Gil&becker

Can you believe it? First ATP Final, first ATP title, Top50 (actually 51 ), no more words!!! Go Joćo!

Last edited by Gil&becker : 09-29-2013 at 11:10 AM.