All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #166
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All About Ernests - Interviews and Articles

Today interview, after SF win:

Ernests Gulbis: I really want to win a tournament in Russia

September 21, 2013, 14:48 | Author: Denis Kuznetsov, GoTennis.ru |

Ernest, we congratulate you on your victory and reaching the final. It seemed that at the beginning of the match you were trying to go further ... -

Just do not get enough sleep. Yesterday could not sleep and had to get up early today because of the training and other things. So, really had to cheer myself to fight charge. -
So you cheered yourself by shooting down the billboard. Hpw often did this happen? -
Of course, this has happened before (laughs). This is not the first and certainly not the last time.

With the score 3/3 in the first set, you took a dialogue with the judge, and then went out on the court to physician, whom you did not need. What happened?

- When I fall, then scraped knee. Bled. The judge wanted the doctor stopped the bleeding, but at the moment when the doctor came, bleeding had stopped. I said do not need help. Just did not want to call the doctor
- There are players who know how to treat water bottles. Arranging them, making sure they had a certain amount. You now have the first set brought four special bottles ... -
No, no rituals I have, it seems to you. I always have a small bottle, with a secret drink (laughs). -
In the previous seasons in St. Petersburg personal fans came regularly from Latvia, which gave the mouthwatering flavor stands. -

Yes, they were just drinking all day. This year, they are not here just because last week we played in Latvia Davis Cup match, so that they were all drunk. -

Is it enough just the support from the St. Petersburg public? -

Absolutely! -

Ernest, you have not won a single tournament in Europe. For you, it is essential to win in the Old World? -
For me it was important to win the tournament in Russia. I have one-quarter of Russian blood. My grandmother is Russian. She raised me. I only read in Russian, I have many friends in this country, I feel I belong here. Of course, for me it is important to perform well here.
In the U.S. it was easier to play. You are going away somewhere for a month, and you know anything else besides tennis.
In Europe, constantly keeps the idea that if you lose, you'll go home, you can stay still somewhere. When you go to America, then it is easier - you do not have anything other than tennis. -

Do you have the whole day ahead. What will you do? -

Yesterday evening went to the Philharmonic see the performance of Vyacheslav Butusova. I really liked it, good evening turned out.
Today, unfortunately, there is nothing interesting I could found. I'll go take a rest, good sleep. No plans for today, no. -

How important to display nice tennis of your game? -

It is important that the audience was interested. I like it when it turns out interesting duel. When the opponent shows a good game. I have a lot of matches in my career, losing beautifully, so now I want to win, albeit not pretty. -

You said that you read in Russian. What kind of books do you prefer? -

I like modern literature. I read Victor Pelevin - loved it. -

What do you think about player you might meet in the final? -

I do not know. I cannot imagine how they will play. I played Garcia-Lopez only twice in my life, he is an experienced player. Did not play Sousa, so I want to try, may be easier to play.

http://www.gotennis.ru/read/news/ern..._v_rossii.html — Эрнест Гулбис: Очень хочу выиграть турнир в России | GoTennis.ru

Last edited by osmonde : 09-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #167
country flag BlueLighthouse

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yesterday evening went to the Philharmonic see the performance of Vyacheslav Butusova. I really liked it, good evening turned out.
Nice way to keep yourself entertained and busy, Ernie.

Gulbis . Tursunov . Simon . Thiem . Paire
BlueLighthouse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #168
country flag rafaelita

rafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond reputerafaelita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmonde View Post
Today interview, after SF win:

Ernests Gulbis: I really want to win a tournament in Russia

September 21, 2013, 14:48 | Author: Denis Kuznetsov, GoTennis.ru |

How important to display nice tennis of your game? -

It is important that the audience was interested. I like it when it turns out interesting duel. When the opponent shows a good game. I have a lot of matches in my career, losing beautifully, so now I want to win, albeit not pretty. -

Every time he mentions his beautiful losses I start smiling and feel nostalgic.. I'm glad those days are over, don't get me wrong, but they're part of our history... brings back memories and some mixed up feelings too

As for tomorrow, how about a solid win?

I am very happy to be alive. There is much fun to be had. Music, movies, books, paintings, drawings... I hope you have these things where you are. If you have them, what does the real world matter anyway? JF - Letter for Children Of The Future

Alive with music, haunting my soul Love you more.

we are the same ♥
rafaelita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #169
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

This is a google translate that I didn't improve but we get the point.
Nice point of view from his coach

Buchanan Bresniks: Gulbis psychologist is not required Interview

John Freimanis , "Apollo"

Monday, 2013th On the 23rd September 12:01 33

"When we are in Vienna, he wants to go to the opera or a museum. This distinguishes him from many other tennis players. But he has always been such. The 18-19 years of age he went to the opera, "remembers tennis player Ernests Gulbis coach Buchanan Bresniks , which met the week before Davis Cup time. Last weekend in St. Petersburg Gulbis won his fourth career ATP title, but it is only one step towards more ambitious targets, which are the same words coach Ernest aware very well. Despite the fact that the public space of the other topics he speaks almost as often as your current occupation."

Buchanan Bresniks
Photo: R. Humpty / Apollo

- Tennis experts point out that last year Ernest has changed his shot from the right side or forehands .
- forehands past year was his weakest element of the game. When he came to me, he said that he no longer feel the kick from the right, so we started working on it. But the change is not so obvious, because I think he is the same racket grip. He just a lot of work on this kick drills and beginning to feel better. Has managed to achieve greater consistency without losing power. Sometimes forehands are very, very good, like Rome against Rafael Nadal, but other days it does not work so well.

- However, in stressful situations, which hit most importantly, he still makes mistakes forehands every shot.
- Yes, but that is all. Anyone stressful situations more wrong. However, he is not so quick to stress unresponsive. On the contrary - he likes the big games against the strongest tennis players of the world. Sometimes it seems that he has a bigger problem than stress their match against the world's best, but deliveries of the matches, which meet the below-ranked tennis players. It is possible that such games he does not seem so exciting and he underestimate the opponents abilities. It worries me to generating higher because of the great men he usually performs well. This year, he has lost only a few matches for the lowest-ranked tennis players, while the other losses have been ranked top twenty best players.

- In one of the press conferences Ernest was asked whether he needs a psychologist, to which he replied in revenge, or do not need a psychologist himself a journalist.
- he does not need a psychologist. It is not a psychological problem. In fact, he is mentally very strong, both human and tennis player. He has strong views that can not be easily changed. This causes problems for other people to work with him. He now courts have had to be a tense situation and hope that the future will be even more so. I think that he understands the situation better than any psychologist.

- Do Gulbis can still improve your shot from the right side?
- This is how it is constantly in use. He is working on forehands , backhand and volley shots every day - this is the daily bread of every tennis player. His backhand shot I ranked among the top five tennis, perhaps even among the top five all-time best. Of course, the most he can upgrade directly forehands hit because it is dangerous and can destroy the enemy, but at the same time it causes him problems when he treats lightly. In such cases, the percussive he has to lose matches.

- Is there any chance that his forehands shot again to change?
- You see, Ernest was a great shot from the right when he was 17 years old, but it was screw up. I do not know who did it. His forehands is a great shot. Sometimes I even do not understand why so many people talk about it. If you carefully look at his game, the more points he receives a pass from the right to the backhand shot is more stable. But she decided to take away the element of surprise would be foolish. I do not want him to be Spanish tennis player, who is running around on the court as a bunny. He's not a player. He is a dangerous and aggressive player. It is therefore understandable that the offensive style allows players more errors.

- We've noticed that lately Swan fights for every point. Whether he has changed his attitude towards the game?
- know him, since 16-17 years of age, and even then he fought the beast. Maybe then he never followed up so closely, but at age 17 he was a fighter. This year I can not remember any game or workout when would complain about the fact that he has not worked hard. In addition, training sessions, he sometimes struggles even too much.

- Is Ernest has changed as a person since know him?
- Of course, each time getting a more grown-up. Times change, but as a man he has not changed. When he was out of the best ranking centurion and now - he is the same man. He is very interested and curious about many different topics. For example, when we are in Vienna, he wants to go to the opera or a museum. This distinguishes him from many other tennis players. But he has always been such. The 18-19 years of age he went to the opera. Psychologists confirm that develops between the ages of human personality, which is then no longer undergo a significant change.

- What are you talking about, except for tennis?
- for all. Tournaments have plenty of time, so you dine discuss current events in politics and culture. Just talk to about personal things that seem important to him. He asks a lot because of a desire to know everything.

- What you can do both for added stability performance of Ernests?
- It will come with time. You can not push a button and it will happen. It is a process, a long journey. Last October, he was a world-ranked 150th place, but now trīsdesmitniekā. This confirms his stability. Tomaso's victory over Berdych and Andy Mare, as well as an equal battle with Nadal. I am even surprised by your question, because all signs indicate that he has become more stable. I think he is the most realistic candidate to rank in the top ten. If you ask other tennis professionals, they will be identified by Ernest among the five most tangible candidates for entering the world's top ten.

- What he need to do to get into the top ten?
- We have to continue as now and be in good health. I think that he would also help to calm down a little. He wants it so much that sometimes it hinders him. When he started well this year, then began to speak about a tournament at the end. This is the thing I do not like, but I think that this year he had a lesson in this regard. His abilities are higher than many other tennis players, so if every week he will be showcasing their best performance, the increase in rank to continue.

- Gulbis is characteristic that he knows best and understands that at that moment he most needed. However, whether the training has to make her do anything?
- the relationship between tennis players and coaches are one-to-one. I can not make her do anything. Ernest in case you can not do in the first place, his personality, but, on the other, no one can be forced to coach tennis players do what he does not want. Instead, he is convinced. If you can not convince him to do something, then you have experienced a failure.

- Is Ernests is easy to convince
- Sometimes it's not easy to do, but I do not mind. If someone disagrees with me, then am experiencing a clearer picture of the problem. If there is a debate, then it is not bad. Convince someone is often more difficult than force, but if you have managed to convince the result will be sustained. Ernest is too wise to force him, and he is difficult to make an authoritative coach working. I did not even try the following methods.

- Does the training occurs in a spat?
- Yes. However, this does not happen very often. If you know that he is wrong, then turned away from the discussions in the other cases izrunājamies and usually quickly find a solution.

- Do you see the similarities and differences between Ernest and your by far the most famous student of Boris Beker?
- Yes. But I want to compare them only as a tennis player, because as a people they are completely different. Tennis both of them are powerful kicks. When talking about forehands hit, then Boris was not as strong, but the days when it was working, he could win any. For him once noted that if anyone should have to play a different life, then pick a Boris. By Ernest is the same. If he is aware that the match is very important, he is driven out of myself last drop of sweat.

- What is your attitude towards Ernest statements about the boring world tennis ranking leaders?
- would be too provocative when I say that all of them are boring, but if you are only talking about what they say in the media, I can agree with this. Very rare of them can be interesting to hear the comments. I assume that it was Ernest thought that all telling the same stories. Rafa is a fighter, a gentleman Federer, Djokovic Serbian ... And they all say the same thing that assess each other and love each other. In this respect, I agree with Ernest that it is 100% true. They do not like each other as much as they show. Djokovic's father said once already and it was closer to the truth.
I love that Ernest has his own opinion and the media he can clear position. Therefore, the press like him. Given his position in the world ranking, he requires ten times more than others.

-What would you wish to Ernest that he would most improve their game to achieve its objectives?
- First of all, I wish him health. Secondly, I wish to maintain interest in the game of tennis at such a high level as it is this year. If it is, then he will reach a ten world ranking. He's not the people who talk loudly on their objectives, but they are very clear. Even if the public does not speak about them as much as other things. He clearly knows what they want.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #170
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is great! Thank you for posting!
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #171
country flag CatBernet

CatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond reputeCatBernet has a reputation beyond repute

Bresnik looks like an adult Charlie Brown. I love it.
CatBernet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #172
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is another really great interview with Ernests. Although, I don't know if there is an interview in history of Gulbis interviews that is not great.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...--Latvian.html
#ToNameAFew

Tennis rackets & Ernests Gulbis go together like Redshirts & Star Trek. #expendable
ask.fm/FangirlCourtney
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #173
country flag osmonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingFanGirl View Post
This is another really great interview with Ernests. Although, I don't know if there is an interview in history of Gulbis interviews that is not great.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...--Latvian.html
Love those last ones...

What would be your last meal on earth?

That's a depressing question. I'm not going to answer that.

If there was one rule in tennis you could change, what would it be?

I would have a rule that I can't lose.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #174
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q: What is the worst [match you have ever played]?

Gulbis: There are too many.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #175

BlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond reputeBlueLighthouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs Up for Ernie (Peter Bodo gave E some tough/snarky love) http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UkEFQCiUC_U

Quote:
When it comes to Ernests Gulbis, the new champion of St. Petersburg, the thinking tends to run in one of two directions: He’s either a highly gifted, outspoken flake—a kind of head-case agent provocateur—or a loudmouthed, out-to-lunch, spoiled rich kid.

But I ask you, friends, what’s wrong with recognizing Ernie as . . . both?

The Latvian won his title in what might be called predictably unpredictable Gulbis fashion, ripping through 11 consecutive games to rout Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, 3-6, 6-4, 6-0, and then promptly lavished praise on his own bad self, saying: “I’ve been very consistent especially in finals; I’ve never lost in a final. I’m proud of that record.”

Of course, the 25-year-old, world No. 27 has played just four ATP finals in his career, all of them in lower-level events, whereas Rafael Nadal (a fella Gulbis criticized earlier this year for being, essentially, consistent) has played and won 10—this year. And two of those were in Grand Slam events.

But never mind. Gulbis also waxed philosophical on his potential, declaring that if only he were a little more consistent himself, he’d be Top 10. And hey, if I were four feet taller I’d be playing in the NBA.

Some of you may wonder, after all this, why Gulbis gets a thumbs up, and that’s an easy one—he’s a refreshing personality in a sport filled with what you might call increasingly “corporate” guys. He’s a charming rogue, even if he’s so full of it that it’s coming out of his ears.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #176

Heroes and Zeroes

Quote:
Hero: Ernests Gulbis You have to hand it to Ernests Gulbis. He declared his intention of bursting through to a career-high ranking early in the season, and, lo and behold, seven months later the Latvian is on the cusp of making it happen. After winning his second title of 2013 on Sunday in St. Petersburg, Gulbis sits at No. 27 in the world with barely any points to defend between now and the end of the season.

In Rotterdam in early February, Gulbis called his shot, saying, "I think I'm gonna make it this season -- back to top 20 for sure (Gulbis is a former world No. 21). I prepared well, and I quit a lot of stuff in my life.” When pressed about what exactly he quit, Gulbis said “Smoking, drinking, staying up late.” It was yet another classic quote from Gulbis' gift that keeps on giving—his quote machine, which is never switched off. (Exhibit A: He said his opponent behaved like a “spoiled princess” after an incident during their quarterfinal match.)

But this year, his normally on-again, off-again tennis has been switched on more than ever before, and it has showed in Gulbis' results. On Sunday Gulbis showed determination and resiliency in coming back to defeat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the final. He was down a set and a break and he could have easily thrown in the towel, smashed a few racquets and brought out that nihilistic, volatile temperament of his to the detriment of his comeback hopes. Instead, the 25-year-old kept up the chase, never giving up belief that his opponent might give him something he could use to scratch and claw his way back into the match.

Trailing 4-1 in the second set, Gulbis scratched, then clawed, then raced to a sublime finish, reeling off the final 11 games of the match, never showing even a shred of nerves when it came time to close out his fourth career title.

The good news for fans of Gulbis' tennis is that the Latvian truly does appear to be reaching a higher level of consistency and competitiveness with his game. One needs to look only at the fact that he has reached a career-best 34 wins with five tournaments yet to be played, as well as the fact that he has earned multiple titles in single season for the first time.

And fans of Gulbis' theatrics and gleeful, sardonic wit needn't worry either. In the true spirit of his good friend Marat Safin, Gulbis is as committed as ever as bringing his unique brand of playful tennis nihilism to a tennis venue near you. The man refuses to be boring, just check the trail of broken frames and frustrated opponents that he left behind him in St. Petersburg for proof. “I broke two today, and overall I had come here with seven or eight racquets,” said Gulbis after the final. “I'm leaving with three or four.”

In an age of so many carefully cultivated quotes and watered-down interviews, Gulbis has always taken the lead role as tennis' most unboring, unscripted personality. Now that his tennis is taking flight, things could really get interesting.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #177
country flag osmonde

Four More: HOW IMPORTANT IS ERNESTS?

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2013 /BY STEVE TIGNOR
Can Gulbis the player, who has cracked the Top 30, match Gulbis the personality?*

“I do what I want to do.”

So says Ernests Gulbis to Roberto Bautista Agut in the video clip above. In this case, Gulbis was asserting his right to make his sneakers squeak as loudly as he pleases while his opponent is tossing the ball to serve. Later, Ernie expanded on this concept by calling Bautista Agut a “spoiled princess” with no talent. The sentiment might as well serve as Gulbis’s motto for life: This child of privilege and tennis player of great talent does and says what he wants, when he wants. More than that, he believes everyone else should follow his lead.

Right now, it seems safe to say that we’ll be seeing more of Ernests doing what he pleases this fall and in the immediate future. With his title in St. Petersburg over the weekend, Latvia’s most famous tennis product moves to No. 27 in the rankings; that’s up from No. 109 as recently as February.

We’ve seen brief flashes of brilliance from Gulbis in the past, of course, but he's been more solid and sustained in 2013. Gulbis is 34-15 this year, with two tournament wins. He played well at the start of the season, and despite a disastrous U.S. Open, where he let a promising draw make him so nervous that he lost in the first round, Gulbis is still playing well as we reach the end of the year. Even his nerves at the Open can be interpreted as a good sign. At least he cared, and believed in himself, enough to get anxious. That hasn't always been the case.

Gulbis’s win elicited applause on Twitter from knowledgeable tennis people like Patrick Mouratoglou, Serena Williams’ coach, and veteran journalist Richard Evans. They both said that, because of his explosive style and engagingly volatile personality, Ernests is “good for the game.” Others have their doubts, including ardent fans of the Big 4. This summer Gulbis famously criticized the much-admired paragons as “boring.” Why are Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray so dull, according to him? Because, unlike Gulbis, they don’t say whatever they want to say.

Is Ernests Gulbis good for tennis? Can he add some life to what may prove to be a sleepy fall, one in which Nadal has virtually locked up the No. 1 ranking and Murray won’t be seen again? I would say yes on both counts; I happen to like the guy. But I also don't think that Gulbis’s fans have it all right and his detractors have it all wrong. With him, there’s a con for every pro.

Gulbis, like Mourataglou says, plays exciting tennis at a time when safety and consistency rule, and he can challenge anyone on the right day. He’s also one of the few players who can draw a crowd with his personality alone—people will watch to see what he might do, and he appeals to fans of failure and rage as well as joy and success. Even when Gulbis is insulting his opponent or calling out another player, there’s something likable in the crooked grin he uses to do it. He has a brain, and a sense of humor.

On the other hand, Gulbis often talks a bigger game than he plays, and he can seem more interested in getting under other players' skins than in beating them—witness the squeaking sneakers above. His criticism of the Big 4 was honest and entertaining, yes, and not completely without merit; but it also came from privileged position. Unlike them, Gulbis doesn’t have to answer questions nearly as often, or have every word he utters parsed for meaning; he doesn’t have to represent the sport as a whole; and he doesn’t have to worry about keeping his image clean so he can get sponsorship deals.

Gulbis, as has been noted in many places, has a spiritual older brother in Marat Safin, and that extends beyond their notorious off-court pursuits. Safin, like Gulbis, was an ultra-talented player who saw through the propaganda of competition—he understood that tennis wasn’t the be-all and end-all, and that winning wouldn’t make him happy for long. He played on as an obligation to his God-given ability (and to make money, of course), but he seemed drawn to failure as much as success. Gulbis isn’t as talented, but he also brings a skeptical eye to the concept that winning equals happiness. I can imagine him winning Wimbledon and following it up with a sarcastic quip at his own expense to Sue Barker on Centre Court.

That is, I could imagine him doing that if I could imagine Gulbis winning Wimbledon at all, which I can’t. What's strange is, I'm not even sure I would root for him to do it, and I'm a fan of his; this might tell you something about the conflicting feelings that the guy inspires. But I do hope Ernests keeps progressing. His forehand, backhand, and drop shot are fun to watch, he's beyond quotable, and it will be interesting to see how far he can go with his ambivalent attitude and penchant for self-sabotage. Gulbis is too negative to be a refreshing personality, but he is engaging. At a time when most of the top pros have made themselves agreeable, Gulbis is at least someone worth disagreeing on. We know he does whatever he wants to do. Is he ready to keep doing what he needs to do?

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UkIOF4Yz18F

Last edited by osmonde : 09-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #178
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLighthouse View Post
Nice. Thanks for posting all the articles everyone.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #179
country flag takuma

takuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond reputetakuma has a reputation beyond repute

Old blah blah blah about nothing really by Steve Tignor. Quoting Janowicz: "how many times?" (will we read articles about Ernests being a rich, spoiled, yet talented player).
takuma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #180
country flag brazuca5copas

brazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond repute

Today interview http://sportacentrs.com/teniss/latvi...k_ari_mazliet_

Latvijas labākais tenisists Ernests Gulbis Stokholmas ATP ''World Tour 250'' tenisa sacensībās šodien aizvadīja divus mačus. Ja vienspēļu ceturtdaļfinālā sīvā cīņā tika gūts panākums par poli Ježi Janoviču (ATP 15.), tad dubultspēlēs kopā ar Dmitriju Tursunovu latvietis līdzīgā mačā piekāpās zviedru duetam, kuru pārstāvēja 41 gadus vecais Jonass Bjorkmans un Roberts Lindsteds. ''Sportacentrs.com'' piedāvā noskatīties Gulbja pēcspēļu komentārus, kuros viņš atklāj, ka serve no apakšas tiek nedaudz atstrādāta arī treniņos.

Tikko aizvadīji dubultspēļu maču pret Bjorkmanu un Lindstedu. Iepriekš teici, ka dubultspēles Tev ir kā treniņš, taču mača laikā varēja redzēt, ka abi ar pārinieku tik un tā ļoti gribējāt uzvarēt...
Jāsaka, ka otrais sets mums nesaprotamu iemeslu dēļ neizdevās. Sākumā zaudējām geimu uz Tursunova serves un pēc tam izlaidām arī visu otro setu. Lai arī dubultspēle ir kā labs treniņš, man tik un tā nepatīk zaudēt. It īpaši jau taibreikā. Cīnījos par katru bumbu un beigās centos arī atbalstīt Dmitriju, kurš pārdzīvoja, ka viņam neizdodas labi servēt, bet rezultāts ir tāds, kāds ir.

Spēle pret Janoviču izvērtās ļoti spraiga, bet no laukuma kā uzvarētājs aizgāji Tu. Ar ko, Tavuprāt, biji šodien labāks par Polijas sportistu?
Viens tenisists vienmer no mača aiziet kā uzvarētājs, bet otrs kā zaudētājs - tas nav jaunums. [smaida] Domāju, ka biju labāks ar to, ka stabilāk spēlēju trešajā setā. Es zināju, ka viņš nespēs nospēlēt vienā limenī no otrā seta beigām līdz trešā seta beigām. Otrajā setā pie rezultāta 3:3 nospēlēju labi, taču viņš trāpija laukumā divas ļoti grūtas bumbas, un man nebija nekādu variantu. Arī trešo setu viņš uzsāka ļoti labi, bet tad, kad ieguvu breiku, varēja redzēt, ka viņš arī ir uztraucies. Ar šāda tipa spēlētājiem vienkārši ir jātur spiediens līdz pašām mača beigām, labi jātur sava servi un jāgaida, ka viņš salūzīs uz savas serves. Tā ir tāda kā nervu spēle, kuru viņš neizturēja...

Varbūt spēles gaitu ietekmēja serve no apakšas?
Arī. Cilvēkiem jau ir grūti saprast, kas tā par servi, un paspēt uz to noreagēt. Tā nav aizliegta, viņš bija pilnībā gatavs serves uzņemšanai... Ja godīgi, es šo servi arī mazliet trenēju. [smaida] Nav arī tā, ka tādu servi ir viegli izservēt, turklāt nākošajā geimā es ieguvu breiku. Varbūt tā izdevās viņu morāli izsist no līdzsvara.

Pusfinālā būs jāspēkojas ar ATP ranga trešās vietas īpašnieku Davidu Fereru. Spēles ziņā viņš Tev būs ērtāks pretinieks nekā Janovičs?
Tad jau redzēsim, ka rīt būs... Davids tomēr ir trešais pasaulē, iekrājis lielu pieredzes daudzumu. Nav iespējams tikt tik augstu rangā, ja tev nav kaut kas īpašs. Ērtības ziņā - jā, varbūt. Viņš dod vairāk laika, labāk var sajust ritmu, savukārt tādi spēlētāji kā Janovičs nav ērti nevienam.
brazuca5copas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote