Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5 - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #31
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston-Salem R1: Johnson accepts tank from (2)Seppi 6-7 6-4 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
so you think he went on court intending to lose? He would have been mad if he won?

he went on court knowing that losing this match would give him the chance to go earlier to NY and do a better preparation.

no cause there have been numerous cases of players not putting effort and not intending to go through the next round ending up winning the match somehow. in his case he would still have time to fly to NY and do a decent praparation even if he had to play another match in WS

Last edited by motorhead : 08-21-2013 at 01:23 AM.
motorhead is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #32
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

If he didn't go on court with the plan to lose or if he didn't intend to lose sometime during the match then it wasn't a tank according to my definition of a tank.

MTF logic, player looks lazy, like he doesn't care = tank. When it's not a tank, it's just a lack of energy, or a lack of caring. People seem to believe that everytime a player steps on court they are completely energetic, ready to put 100% into the match. He probably felt lazy, and he didn't really care so he didn't put all his effort into winning because it didn't really matter to him.

Sure that's fine. But it's not a tank

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #33
country flag grkhetan

grkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond reputegrkhetan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popo21 View Post
Tanking is about the lack of effort...I've seen Seppi play hundreds of times but here he was clearly not trying to win and didn't care about the match.
Johnson is running around making shots while Seppi wouldn't take 3 steps to his right to run down an easily returnable ball
I havent seen the match, but sometimes ball speed is not very apparent from the TV. The ball may be 3 steps away but fast enough to be unreturnable. (Or Seppi might have been just looking forward to the US Open -- maybe he had a flight booked tonight ;-) )

I still remember Fernando Gonzales's forehands at Rolland Garros a few years ago (in 2009) --- my GOD!!!! He used to frequently "explode" into a forehand that passes within 1 or 2 steps of the opponent, and the opponent wouldnt even *attempt* to move. He knew it was a "Gonzo forehand".
grkhetan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #34
country flag motorhead
Banned!

motorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond reputemotorhead has a reputation beyond repute

let's just say then that it was no tank at all but just an amazing coincidence that he felt lazy precisely playing the turney right before the uso out of all the tuneys in his schedule.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #35
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
he didn't really care so he didn't put all his effort into winning because it didn't really matter to him.
that's exactly the definition of a tank when there's something more important ahead.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #36
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
that's exactly the definition of a tank when there's something more important ahead.
not my definition and urban dictionary's but feel free to have your own

Tanking is intending to lose. Unfoetunately mtf has used it so much in vain that nobody knows what it means anymore

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #37
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
let's just say then that it was no tank at all but just an amazing coincidence that he felt lazy precisely playing the turney right before the uso out of all the tuneys in his schedule.
Seppi lose so many match this year, almost all of them without Grand Slams incoming.

Match that he could/should won.
Joey Tribbiani is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #38
Joey Tribbiani

Joey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond reputeJoey Tribbiani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tanking is intending to lose. Unfoetunately mtf has used it so much in vain that nobody knows what it means anymore

Didn't really care, didn't putt all his effort, didn't really matter to him = intentionally lose.

Is the same thing, wake up.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:55 AM   #39
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
Seppi lose so many match this year, almost all of them without Grand Slams incoming.

Match that he could/should won.
like which one? one his funniest results this year is losing to Lu on clay, 3 sets. guess what was next? FO

Last edited by motorhead : 08-21-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #40
country flag 156mphserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_92 View Post
Didn't really care, didn't putt all his effort, didn't really matter to him = intentionally lose.

Is the same thing, wake up.
oh sorry was I dozing off? The conversation was rather boring. I hope you forgive me.

As for being the same I'm sure someone disciplining a player for Trying to lose would suspend them longer than they would suspend someone for not giving 100%

You think Gulbis cared for the years 2009-2012? He hardly cared at all but he was winning sometimes. I guess we'll say he tanked his career

Not caring and intentionally losing are 2 completely different things that often lead to the same result

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #41
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:

apart from the fact that all the things you quoted from urban dictionary are synonymous of terms I mentioned. do you realise you are using the defition of tank for justifying a non-tank performance according to you?

I assume you obviously rule out the tank hypothesis in Seppi's defeat against Lu on clay too as they played 29 games and everything above a 6-0 6-0 is not classified as tank on urban dictionary?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #42
country flag 156mphserve

Quote:
apart from the fact that all the things you quoted from urban dictionary are synonymous of terms I mentioned. do you realise you are using the defition of tank for justifying a non-tank performance according to you?

I assume you obviously rule out the tank hypothesis in Seppi's defeat against Lu on clay too as they played 29 games and everything above a 6-0 6-0 is not classified as tank on urban dictionary?
did he try to lose? If yes then it was a tank

People throw around tank way to loosely here. There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate. But around here people have come to call everything a tank the moment they see a player lacking a little energy.

That's MTF for you, they'd call everyone a fixer and a doper too if it weren't against the rules. Fixing would mean the same as tanking does now, and doping would mean playing above your normal level. That's what happens when words are thrown around like that. They start to lose any real meaning

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #43
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:

There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate.

LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #44
country flag motorhead
Banned!

Quote:
did he try to lose? If yes then it was a tank

People throw around tank way to loosely here. There are maybe 10 tanks on the ATP level a year as an estimate. But around here people have come to call everything a tank the moment they see a player lacking a little energy.

That's MTF for you, they'd call everyone a fixer and a doper too if it weren't against the rules. Fixing would mean the same as tanking does now, and doping would mean playing above your normal level. That's what happens when words are thrown around like that. They start to lose any real meaning
would you mind answering me on Lu's match just to have a last laugh for today?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #45
Joey Tribbiani

Quote:
oh sorry was I dozing off? The conversation was rather boring. I hope you forgive me.

As for being the same I'm sure someone disciplining a player for Trying to lose would suspend them longer than they would suspend someone for not giving 100%

You think Gulbis cared for the years 2009-2012? He hardly cared at all but he was winning sometimes. I guess we'll say he tanked his career

Not caring and intentionally losing are 2 completely different things that often lead to the same result
Why you didn't care? If you wanna win, you have to care.
But you didn't care, beacuse you had no intentions of winning the match.
So you intentionally lose.

I repeat, wake up.

One thing is didn't care and lose = tank.

One thing is playing bad and lose = it happens, but is not tank.