Can a player have a better backhand than forehand? - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #76
country flag FormerRafaFan

FormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond reputeFormerRafaFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a player have a better backhand than forehand?

It's possible, but not very common.

Also supporting known chokers Verdasco, Lopez and Monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbERR View Post
Verdasco was their cheerleader, number one mascot.
They let him play tennis once after they saw his "consistency is everything" advertisement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Joke thread? Kohlschreiber clowns this servebot in 3.
Maybe 4 or 5 if he wants to get more of a workout in.
FormerRafaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #77
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Well first of all, we are talking about two wings that could be completely different in strength. For instance, if it was Lopez's forehand vs Safin's backhand, which would come out the better? But if it was Nadal's forehand against Haas's backhand, it would be very different.

It isn't just Paire who's BH is better than his FH. There are at least a dozen other examples off the top of my head that I've already stated.
There's the disputing, not on the original thread question.

If you believe Safin's BH would come out winning rallies against Lalo's FH, then i fully disagree with you.

That's part of the actual discussion and not the thread tittle specifically.

Any top 100 would win rallies with his FH against any BH in the history of tennis.

That's my point. Coz the BH is a far worse shot than the BH and when they're closer in one player in terms of quality, people mistakingly tend to think that the BH is actually better.

While it's simply not as worse as in the usual case.

just like the Serena and Benji Becker example. It might look she'd eat him alive, but she'd be actually happy to get 3-4 games in a match.

It's just an illusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #78
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
I'll give it to you that in this era players do tend to have more consistent type of backhands however there are still enough players out there today which oppose your point, despite the lack of creativity around. There's nothing in itself that makes the forehand easier to produce accuracy or such. That's just due to their preference and skill level of each wing.

Many players over the years have possessed more accurate backhands than forehands.
That's just play wrong. Think for a second of how players struggle to hit a decent paced double backhand to Nadal's forehand corner. Player's with renowned backhands fail to do this routinely.

What does that tell you?

I'll break it down: the backhand, as known from the very low levels of competition is the harder shot to "control" and that's why you have that historical tactic of "hit it to the backhand". You're not going to convince me that there are players upon players out there creating wonderful angles and consistently dominating players with their backhands. It's really ludicrous.

Think of the many 2 handers on there and how limited they are in defensive, offensive and just on the run shots. Angle shots? Let's not even begin this discussion.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #79
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Paire even runs around his shit forehand.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #80
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your whole post is a pure latso. Maybe some day if I'm lucky enough we can conduct some kind of study and investigate these parameters, it's highly interesting and YES it is very much psychological.

But the bolded at the end. Crazy, crazy enough that I cannot believe what I'm reading. I've posted some crap on this forum some years ago, young Sapeod too and such but this bolded part has to be one of the most unbelievable things I've ever read on the forum.

Safin had 2-10 forehand crisis matches in his career... His entire 2009 was littered with utter embarrassment from the forehand wing alone!

At least you've helped me create a new word... 'latso'. I will be using this word whenever appropriate on this forum and outwith. You sometimes provide interesting conversation mate but too often you pretend to talk about things in which you've no idea about.
oh, you can be rude and insulting as much as you want.

I don't claim anything in numbers about Safin, maybe he had 50 FH crisis matches in his career, maybe 100, whatever you say.

It's far from being my point and now that you are so helpless that you take this straw and start inventing words, i believe the discussion is over.

You must be drinking all along this conversation, coz your line of argumenting is deteriorating at a pace of 100ml per 40 minutes
Quote:
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #81
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latso View Post
There's the disputing, not on the original thread question.

If you believe Safin's BH would come out winning rallies against Lalo's FH, then i fully disagree with you.

That's part of the actual discussion and not the thread tittle specifically.

Any top 100 would win rallies with his FH against any BH in the history of tennis.

That's my point. Coz the BH is a far worse shot than the BH and when they're closer in one player in terms of quality, people mistakingly tend to think that the BH is actually better.

While it's simply not as worse as in the usual case.

just like the Serena and Benji Becker example. It might look she'd eat him alive, but she'd be actually happy to get 3-4 games in a match.

It's just an illusion.
You are wrong. Schaller, Portas, Paire and Volandri to name a few.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #82
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I agree with you on some points you made during the thread, but this is ridiculous.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #83

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
I agree with you on some points you made during the thread, but this is ridiculous.
I don't agree with what he said but I do think it's a pretty close call.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #84
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
Well first of all, we are talking about two wings that could be completely different in strength. For instance, if it was Lopez's forehand vs Safin's backhand, which would come out the better? But if it was Nadal's forehand against Haas's backhand, it would be very different.

It isn't just Paire who's BH is better than his FH. There are at least a dozen other examples off the top of my head that I've already stated.
If we look at the year 2003, which I believe had a field of players who had varied styles and a lot of creativity I can list these players off the top of my head (all must be within the worlds top 100). I think this is a better sample than today's 'consistency' tennis. Better sample because these players were all playing attacking tennis, thus required more sound technique. These are players I think had no doubt better backhands.

Agassi (More consistent wing by far, ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that he could change direction more easily)
Safin (I've repeated 1000x)
Schalken (Way more consistent, technically not even close)
Nalbandian (Similar to Safin, did everything better)
Bjorkman (Horrid forehand, massive gulf in ability)
Haas (Flattens the ball better, doesn't need to loop it 15 feet above the net when he's off the boil)
Corretja (one of the most technically sound backhands ever)
Gaudio (Pretty similar reasons to the rest, could produce flatter balls, change of direction with excellent disguise)
Kafelnikov (One of the top 3 double handers of all time for me along with Agassi and Safin)
Martin (leaked far less errors off the backhand, could drill it pretty hard when he wasn't lumbering around)
Gambill (His forehand was all over the place, didn't know whether to hit single handed forehand or double handed)
Kuerten (Maybe the best single hander on slower surfaces)
Stepanek (Not even worth mentioning, his forehand can be Bjorkmanesque)
Mantilla (Masterful slow court stroke)
Ljubicic (Has always been more consistent, forehand is very liable to breaking down and especially on low balls)

Probably more out there that are arguable. I'd also take the likes of Verkerk and Santoro's backhands.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #85
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond reputemadmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjurra View Post
You are wrong. Schaller, Portas, Paire and Volandri to name a few.
not only these. There are plenty of futures/challenger level players with better/more consistent BH wings. It's really not as uncommon as some (cough, laso, cough) make it sound to be. And since the answer to the question in the OP is obviously "yes", then this thread has logically run it's course by now

Last edited by madmax : 08-15-2013 at 11:23 PM.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #86
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
I don't agree with what he said but I do think it's a pretty close call.
Lalo's forehand against Safin's backhand?

A close call.

I am genuinely sniggering and it's 12 at night.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #87
country flag Burrow

Quote:
oh, you can be rude and insulting as much as you want.

I don't claim anything in numbers about Safin, maybe he had 50 FH crisis matches in his career, maybe 100, whatever you say.

It's far from being my point and now that you are so helpless that you take this straw and start inventing words, i believe the discussion is over.

You must be drinking all along this conversation, coz your line of argumenting is deteriorating at a pace of 100ml per 40 minutes
I don't drink, latso
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #88

Quote:

A close call.

Like I said, you have problems understanding the intricacies of a FH to BH battle. You insulate the backhand shot and chose only to look at it in it's shining glory, refusing to take into account the very details/shortcomings I've been pointing out throughout this thread.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #89
country flag latso

Quote:

A close call.

here it's 2am, Dimitrov - Nadal is starting, so my motivation is now gone.

But i would say just it's not even a close call, no BH has a chance against a top 100 FH, what to say Lalo's, relatively top player and his only half decent shot with the serve (and volleys)..

But that is a speculation question, coz except at some doubles on clay perhaps, this is smth not happening in real life, so it's all about imagination.

In a singles match the BH player would always try to change the rally toward the BH of the opponent. For a reason..

Anyways, Good night gents and see you later for the "Dimitrov shocks Nadal" thread
Quote:
no shit..

Quote:
NID
Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #90
country flag haasenqvistfan

haasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputehaasenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

For sure. Ljubicic is one who did by far. Agassi did, despite that he also had an incredible forehand. Safin did, despite that his forehand could be lethal. Djokovic and Murray arguably though, well Murray does for sure in fact. Haas arguably does. Youahzny probably does. Many examples.
haasenqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote