Swearing - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
country flag Deuce*

Deuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swearing

Why do you allow posters to use the word 'fuck' and its derivatives, and other ugly and unnecessary words, in their posts?

Not only does the use of such words pollute the forum, but it also encourages immature posts/posters, and surely keeps mature, intelligent people away.

You have a long list of rules and 'dos and don'ts' - some of which are questionable in that the supposed 'offence' is no big deal... You have all sorts of rules trying to control people's relatively harmless behaviour... yet you freely permit any and all types of swearing imaginable. Why?
It makes little sense to put so much effort into coming up with all those rules, yet not make the much easier effort to disallow swearing.

Employing higher standards in this area would be a good thing. It would also help this message board to be taken more seriously by intelligent, mature people, as opposed to catering to the immature.
I believe it's quite easy to install the necessary filter(s).
Deuce* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swearing

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
country flag Deuce*

Deuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond reputeDeuce* has a reputation beyond repute

^ Case in point ^

No forum that allows such silly, attention-seeking immaturity as gratuitous swearing will be taken seriously by anyone.
People will view it as a forum run by teenagers - which maybe it is - that would explain all the vulgarity that's allowed, while having rules against "player bashing". Seems to me that 'player bashing' can be done far more intelligently than can gratuitous swearing. Using vulgarity is not usually a sign of high intelligence.
Allowing so much gratuitous swearing while not allowing 'player bashing' and many more much less offensive things makes no sense at all.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

The rules against player bashing were trashed in response to a very negative response, and this is an equally bad idea

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
country flag Deuce*

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
The rules against player bashing were trashed in response to a very negative response, and this is an equally bad idea
It's a "bad idea" to not allow gratuitous, completely unnecessary swearing in posts? I doubt, then, that you're over 15 years old. At least I hope you're not...

The 'right to swear' is a ridiculous notion, as swearing adds absolutely nothing positive or intelligent or of value to any post. It simply unnecessarily pollutes the forum with juvenile posts, which then encourages other juvenile posts, and thus overall relegates this forum to a second-rate status that no mature or intelligent person will take seriously.

If this is a tennis forum specifically for teenagers who want - or 'need' - to display their immaturity by typing vulgarities gratuitously, then it should advertize itself as such, and keep the swearing.
If, on the other hand, it's meant to be a forum where people discuss tennis related topics seriously, respectfully, and with at least a degree of maturity, then there is certainly no need nor use for swearing.
If a person cannot express him/herself clearly without needing to swear, then that person belongs in a schoolyard with other children, not on a public tennis forum.

Removing the swearing (easily done via filter) will take absolutely nothing of value away from this forum. Quite the opposite - it will result in more intelligent posts, and will attract more serious people who wish to discuss tennis related things in a mature and respectable fashion.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
country flag MaratandMilos

MaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond reputeMaratandMilos has a reputation beyond repute

Profanity is as legitimate a form of expression as anything else, nor is use of it a sign of low intelligence. I personally rarely swear myself here (or elsewhere), but I'm certainly not going to judge others that do or attempt to restrict their expression in some kind of haughty attempt to "improve" the level of discourse. I don't see an issue here.
MaratandMilos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
country flag MachimoI
Banned!

MachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond reputeMachimoI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalDeuce View Post
Why do you allow posters to use the word 'fuck' and its derivatives, and other ugly and unnecessary words, in their posts?

Not only does the use of such words pollute the forum, but it also encourages immature posts/posters, and surely keeps mature, intelligent people away.

You have a long list of rules and 'dos and don'ts' - some of which are questionable in that the supposed 'offence' is no big deal... You have all sorts of rules trying to control people's relatively harmless behaviour... yet you freely permit any and all types of swearing imaginable. Why?
It makes little sense to put so much effort into coming up with all those rules, yet not make the much easier effort to disallow swearing.

Employing higher standards in this area would be a good thing. It would also help this message board to be taken more seriously by intelligent, mature people, as opposed to catering to the immature.
I believe it's quite easy to install the necessary filter(s).
MachimoI is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
country flag Deuce*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaratandMilos View Post
Profanity is as legitimate a form of expression as anything else, nor is use of it a sign of low intelligence. I personally rarely swear myself here (or elsewhere), but I'm certainly not going to judge others that do or attempt to restrict their expression in some kind of haughty attempt to "improve" the level of discourse. I don't see an issue here.
I am not in the least bit surprised at your defense of the immature... Somehow, I really don't expect you to possess the ability to recognize signs of low intelligence.
I also know that your post above was absolutely motivated by my revealing you as the very hypocrite you accuse others of being in another thread.

I'm still waiting for a reply from those responsible for this forum to my original question of why swearing is allowed here (when it's not allowed on other, respectable forums - on various subjects).
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Silly idea. Swear words never harmed anyone. All they are are 4 letters arranged together, and you should be mature enough to not be "scared" or "disgusted" by them.

They actually help the forum, by simplifying posts using strong emotions. Instead of having to explain with long posts to say how frustrated you are, you can just add in a swear word to show your emotion. Quick and easy.

For example, you could say "Why the fuck did I watch this match?"

Or "Why was I such an idiot that I watched this match?"

Which one takes more effort?
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Silly idea. Swear words never harmed anyone. All they are are 4 letters arranged together, and you should be mature enough to not be "scared" or "disgusted" by them.

They actually help the forum, by simplifying posts using strong emotions. Instead of having to explain with long posts to say how frustrated you are, you can just add in a swear word to show your emotion. Quick and easy.

For example, you could say "Why the fuck did I watch this match?"

Or "Why was I such an idiot that I watched this match?"

Which one takes more effort?
Indeed, it is good to be able to express irritation. It harms no one and they are, after all, just words.

Robredo, Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with swearing, it doesn't harm anyone and nobodies going to me mentally scarred by a few bad words. Honestly...

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 6 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 15 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $31,530,210 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 453-141...
TITLES: 28 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
country flag Deuce*

If one does not possess enough intelligence to express him/herself effectively without resorting to vulgarities, it's a safe bet that the opinions/ideas of said person are equally unintelligent.

It's truly incredible that people are defending something like swearing as if it's some sort of intelligent form of expression/communication.

This forum is hopelessly dedicated to the teenage brain...