Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, Then - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, Then

http://www.minyanville.com/business-.../2013/id/51205

Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, Then Sues

Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/business-...#ixzz2bS0lAujr
Quote:
In Soviet Russia, banks pay their customers' bills. Or, at least, one might.

An interesting case has surfaced in Voronezh, Russia, where a man is suing a bank for more than 24 million Russian rubles (about $727,000) in compensation over a handcrafted document that was signed and recognized by the bank.

Dmitry Agarkov said that in 2008 he received a letter from Tinkoff Credit Systems in his mailbox. It was a credit card application form with an agreement contract enclosed, much like the applications Americans receive daily from Visa (NYSE:V), Mastercard (NYSE:MA), American Express (NYSE:AXP), or Discover (NYSEFS). Agarkov filled in the form and returned the signed application, though what he sent back was not exactly the same document the bank had sent him.

A promotional image from Tinkoff Credit Systems' website.
Agarkov changed some parts for his own benefit -- most notably, the small print. He opted in for a 0% APR and no fees, and added that the customer "is not obliged to pay any fees and charges imposed by bank tariffs." He also changed the URL of the site where the terms and conditions were published from www.tcsbank.ru to tcsbank.at.ua. Additionally, he added a special clause that would protect him should the bank break the agreement in a unilateral manner. For each unilateral change in the terms provided in the agreement, the bank would be asked to pay the customer (Agarkov) 3 million rubles (about $91,000), or a cancellation fee of 6 million rubles ($182,000).

Agarkov then sent his updated agreement to the bank, and shortly thereafter received the bank's signed and certified copy, as well as a credit card.

However, after two years of active use, the bank decided to terminate Mr. Agarkov’s credit card in 2010 because he was late paying the minimum required amounts. In 2012, the bank sued Agarkov for 45,000 roubles ($1,363) – an amount that included the remaining balance, fees, and late payment charges. The court decided that the agreement Agarkovcrafted was valid, and required Agarkov to settle only his balance of 19,000 rubles ($575).

Despite the apparent victory, Agarkov fought back: On August 1, the Kominternovsky District Court of Voronezh launched hearings about Agarkov's countersuit against the bank. As Tinkoff Credit Systems had not honored eight clauses in the agreement, Agarkov now wants the bank to pay amends of 24 million rubles ($727,000) total. The law firm Konsultant, which is representing Agarkov, says that the bank’s decision to terminate the agreement cannot be lawful because his client was not paid 6 million rubles, as per terms of the amended agreement.

The bank has so far said that the case was related to "a nonrecurrent technical issue," and it is willing to have its day in court. The next hearing will be held in September.

Author's note: This story has been updated to include the real surname of the customer involved in the dispute. His name was first reported as Alexeev by the first Russian outlet to publish this story.

For an update to this story, please read: Russian Bank Chairman Comments on the Fine Print Case: 'Nobody Will Win Anything From Us'
Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/business-...#ixzz2bS0TZGCP

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, T

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russian Man Turns Tables on Bank, Changes Small Print in Credit Card Agreement, T

Give this man a statue.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

He is just a thief. In the end we all pay for other people's scams.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
country flag Kiedis

Kiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond reputeKiedis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
He is doing the same that the banks and another big companies do, submit them the contract he wants governing their business relationship. It's not his fault they have not readed it.

It arise a question to me, this is not a visa gold or platinum. What kind of Visa would be? A graphene Visa

God is killing me
Kiedis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Banks of the world and rich people in general approve this message
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what this thief (I tend to agree with this) must now be making clear to you, is that your average bank, creditcard company etc. are also thieves. But I'm sure you disagree

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
country flag benitohasker

benitohasker is on a distinguished road

I think that guy is facing 4 months in jail for fraud.
benitohasker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
Banks of the world and rich people in general approve this message
Honesty is always the correct way to go.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
what this thief (I tend to agree with this) must now be making clear to you, is that your average bank, creditcard company etc. are also thieves. But I'm sure you disagree
Maybe you should open an account with a Canadian bank.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Agarkov is a hero. Unfortunately, the bank will have him killed.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Damn. This is like the old soviet russia reversal joke but done in practice. Bank doesn't write you credit card agreement, you write it for the bank clever plan but fraud.

Could have backed off in 2012, but in Soviet Russia you don't back down, you go forward instead...all the way to prison
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Can this really be considered fraud when it was after all just an application? Technically speaking, the bank would be the one responsible for agreeing to the document because you know for a fact that such a situation happened the other way, the consumer would be held responsible for not reading his terms...so I really doubt the man could get convicted of fraud here.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Can this really be considered fraud when it was after all just an application? Technically speaking, the bank would be the one responsible for agreeing to the document because you know for a fact that such a situation happened the other way, the consumer would be held responsible for not reading his terms...so I really doubt the man could get convicted of fraud here.
Yes. Because the bank supplied him an agreement to review and then send back. But he REPLACED the agreement with his own fake agreement without the banks knowledge or permission.

The bank had no reason to expect the document to be replaced so even if they made a mistake by signing it they were tricked. We also don't know how professional the replacement document was but we can expect it was of very high quality and then it's clearly not reasonable to expect an ordinary employee to spot the fake.

That's where the fraud comes in and it was done BEFORE the bank made the mistake of signing it. He isn't the contractor that offers a service to the bank. It's the bank that offers him a service. He cannot set terms to begin with.

Legally I think the bank got it in the bank but ofc in Soviet Russia having something in bank can mean you lose
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote