Zimonjic & Blanco on Nadal's preparation for USO 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Zimonjic & Blanco on Nadal's preparation for USO 13

Interesting article from El Pais translated at VB (http://www.vamosbrigade.com/articles...n3weeks.html):

Quote:
The US Open. For six weeks, the last Grand Slam tournament of the season (starts 26th Aug) was like a fixed idea on the horizon of Rafael Nadal and his left knee. After losing in the first round at Wimbledon, where he played without daring to bend his knee as much as the low bounce on grass demands, the Mallorcan sweated out the summer with his knee heavily taped. This is a tennis player who returned to competition in February after seven months out injured; a competitor who since then has won seven of the ten tournaments he has played; one who took his return to work after Wimbledon calmly so that the "insecurity" he felt because of the poor support his legs gave him in London would not end in a relapse. Nadal has now launched his attack on the North American swing, which begins on Monday at the Montreal Masters, goes on to Cincinnati and ends with the US Open. To be ready for it, he designed a six week plan of increasing intensity which he punctuated with intervals to treat his knee and for which he had an unexpected ally: Nenad Zimonjic, ex number one in doubles and team mate to Novak Djokovic in the Serbian Davis Cup team.

"I've known Rafa for a long time and we've spent years talking about doing this," explained Zimonjic by telephone. "We practised together about seven times, but in between time there were sometimes periods of two or three days of rest for his knee to be treated. Sometimes he moved more, sometimes less, depending on how he felt, but he always pushed himself to do the most he possibly could each day," he continued. "It was impressive. It's not easy to practise with him. Not many people can keep up with his rhythm, his level, his intensity, the speed he hits the ball and his consistency. I was able to see I'm still in good form!" he added. "In this sense, he's a bit different from Djokovic in intensity, though they both have concentration and the ambition to improve each segment of their game in common. If Rafa reminds me of anyone practising, it's Andre Agassi."

Accompanied by Joan Forcades, his physical preparer, the Mallorcan put the accent on softening the impact on his knees. So, he did his resistance work on an antigravity treadmill enclosed from the waist down in plastic that enables him to control the quantity of air around his legs and to "float". In search of explosiveness, he got into the swimming pool where the water also acts as a buffer while Forcades, holding him on elastic reins, provided the counter weight for his sprints. He used a stationary bicycle. When he started on two practice sessions a day, the cement court in Manacor became a kind of temple. As well as dozens of spectators, four-time Grand Slam champion Guillermo Vilas and Shamil Tarpishev, the historic Russian Davis Cup captain, made the pilgrimage there. Then there was Zimonjic. Finally, Nadal practised with Carlos Moyà, just like when he was a boy.

"A guy like Rafa, who has won everything, could well think... 'what are they going to teach me that I don't know already'... but he's not like that," says Galo Blanco, ex world No.40, director of the 4Slam Tennis academy and a witness to those summer days. "Many times that's the difference, that mentality, which many times can be instilled in youngsters from when they're very small. If I'd brought along one of my pupils with me, I would have told him to watch how they [Nadal and Moyà] listen, how they share things with one another, how they always want to learn something new. That's the only way to get better every day."

Now, at 27 years of age, Nadal is back starring in the same stakes that took him to the final of the US Open in 2010 (champion) and 2011 (finalist), the last times he took part: after seven weeks without playing, coming into the tournaments prior to the Grand Slam rested but without any rhythm and trusting in his racquet until his lungs respond.

"Tenniswise and technically I'm improving. It's not as difficult now as it used to be for me to get my touch back in after a lay-off," he said in Mallorca. Those who watched his last practice sessions observed that his left knee was completely free from taping. The hardcourt examination will show if the compression tape comes back and will put the elbow that has been bothering him since the clay court tour to the test. The world No.4 is tuning up for New York. "I'm looking forward to the (hardcourt) season as much as I usually do ( ... ) There's a lot ahead and you have to be well prepared."
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zimonjic & Blanco on Nadal's preparation for USO 13

Great stuff, thanks.
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
country flag ne znam ali mozda

ne znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond reputene znam ali mozda has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ash86 for the thread.
ne znam ali mozda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
country flag Goliath

Goliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond reputeGoliath has a reputation beyond repute

The two most wonderful words missing in English language: Vamos Rafa!
Proud lover of the Dynamic Agile aggressive baseliner from Spain.
BEST SHOT EVER: Rafa's Forehand. Anywhere. Anytime.
Goliath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

what the hell Nenad?
hipolymer is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
country flag arod3425

arod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the people in the world who play tennis, Rafa's training partner had to be a Serb. Under normal circumstances I would think this is merely a coincidence, but I honestly doubt that is the case here.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
country flag Ash86

Ash86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod3425 View Post
Of all the people in the world who play tennis, Rafa's training partner had to be a Serb. Under normal circumstances I would think this is merely a coincidence, but I honestly doubt that is the case here.
Think it has a lot more to do with the fact that Nenad holidays in Mallorca in the summer. That's why they'd probably been talking about it for years because Zimonjic is on the island anyway...
Ash86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
country flag arod3425

arod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond reputearod3425 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash86 View Post
Think it has a lot more to do with the fact that Nenad holidays in Mallorca in the summer. That's why they'd probably been talking about it for years because Zimonjic is on the island anyway...
That could very well be the case. But, you've got to admit, the irony here is rich.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
country flag MTwEeZi

MTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
what the hell Nenad?
Nenad should be tried for treason. The next Edward Snowden right here people.
MTwEeZi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

So now it's the elbow too!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
country flag chili

chili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond reputechili has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod3425 View Post
A very small percent of the people that play tennis can keep a few balls in play when Nadal (or any other solid pro player with above average ground strokes) bends the knees, loads and follows trough. Good players usually play tournaments so it's not like they can find top 200 players or former pros walking on the street all the time.

I guess Nadal wanted to train his return as Zimonjic has a strong serve or he wanted confirmation that he can still dismantle one-handers after Darcis shocked him
chili is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
country flag Serverer

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
So now it's the elbow too!
Getting the excuses in early for when he gets roasted at USO.

Saviour of tennis

Stan Wawrinka

Saviour of tennis and the real #1

Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

Less talk, more action.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

An unlikely partnership
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Something tells me Rafito is going to show up as an unstoppable beast again with a monster serve. Cannot fucking wait, watching Nadal at the USO in 2010 and 2011 (despite losing) was fantastic. He really improved the most on that tournament/surface.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 9 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote