Improving my rallies - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
country flag Tennisplyr15

Tennisplyr15 is on a distinguished road
Cool Improving my rallies

What are some ways I can improve all my strokes and keep them under control?
Tennisplyr15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Improving my rallies

Different question from the thread title.

To improve your strokes: practice, practice, practice (if you've got the technique but not the consistency down). If you don't have the techniques, get some coaching.

To improve your rallies: patience, patience, patience (and that's independent of the surface. I find I lose more points by getting impatient...and going for shots I have no business going for.)
Old 05-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

mate- all you need to do is keep your balance, dont be too risky unless you feel good, if the ball comes deep you hit it deep, its like if a boy in school pushes you, you push them back. Just keep sending the ball back, and think tactically as well and always aim deep- try to maintain a level of topspin. Eventually your opponant will give in , and you would get a nice short ball, then you attack attack attack.
All the best.........
REX
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute

buy the best racquet, the best shoes, best socks, undies, shorts (or pirates), shirt, and even cap, that you can

and practice lots

for me what improved my game quite a bit after about the first 6 months of starting to play was paying very close attention to my footwork

One of my mates that I often play against has the capabilities to rally well, he has good acceleration and can hit well off of both sides, but very quickly in a point his feet just start to lag, and almost seem like theyre rooted into the hardcourt on alot of points, which makes it next to impossible to get a good rally going

& the rest of the Aussie armada

Rafael Nadal
Guillermo Coria

Taylor Dent

...better to reign in hell than serve in heaven...

Last edited by Auscon : 05-23-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
country flag Angle Queen
Mom 2 2 Beauties

Angle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond reputeAngle Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscon
buy the best racquet, the best shoes, best socks, undies, shorts (or pirates), shirt, and even cap, that you can

and practice lots

for me what improved my game quite a bit after about the first 6 months of starting to play was paying very close attention to my footwork
As usual, Auscon, you make a good point. A 'little' bit of improvement to the footwork will pay big dividends in your overall game. And it's definitely important to have good, comfortable equipment: a racket that's suited to your game, shoes that support rather than torture your feet...and clothing designed to wick away moisture.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

As I said for consistancy, just play out points with a good partner every day. Get your feel for points, and start to experiment on shots so that you get comfortable. 100 points a day goes a long way for match play.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
country flag Tian

Tian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond reputeTian has a reputation beyond repute

Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin Topspin

Da.
Tian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle Queen
As usual, Auscon, you make a good point. A 'little' bit of improvement to the footwork will pay big dividends in your overall game. And it's definitely important to have good, comfortable equipment: a racket that's suited to your game, shoes that support rather than torture your feet...and clothing designed to wick away moisture.
Mash fan huh?

We get it on every weeday arvo here......not sure what series its into, Frank just left

One of my mates has every one of them on dvd, MASH nut.....sure its fun to watch on tv every now and then, but to actually be able to sit around and watch dvd after dvd when theres better things to do is beyond me

Then again, he hates tennis and I spend some good time watching tennis matches on dvd,,,,,,

& the rest of the Aussie armada

Rafael Nadal
Guillermo Coria

Taylor Dent

...better to reign in hell than serve in heaven...
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
country flag Bonaventure

Bonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond reputeBonaventure has a reputation beyond repute

Topspins the way to go if you want consistency. You won't hit as many winners as you might have done previously but it gives you a lot more margin for error on your shots and you won't make as many errors. You also have the option of flattening out the shot whenever you want.
Bonaventure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
country flag ServeAlready81

ServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond reputeServeAlready81 has a reputation beyond repute

Practice, practice, practice. And not just against a wall. Find a person that you can rely on to be able to hit with you on a regular basis. And finding a rhythm always helps in rallies as well.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
country flag ugotlobbed

ugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond reputeugotlobbed has a reputation beyond repute

watch videos of claycourters