Road To New York - It's Summer Season! [US Open] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road To New York - It's Summer Season! [Umag]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmzB View Post
I think Richard should ask for a WC into Washington, he has a lot of points to defend from Montreal and the players below him are catching up on him in the rankings.

Any thoughts if he should ask for a WC into Washington?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR View Post
That's an interesting thought. I was half-wishing he'd gone to Hamburg last week for the same reason. He certainly needs the points now assuming he’s not injured or anything. I think he might also need match practice too. He got unlucky today in that Montanes was playing high level tennis early on in a tournament, but I wondered also if Richard might be a little short of match practice after his break. Maybe after a loss like this he should just jump back in and keep playing through it?

My only question would be how humid is it in Washington? I think he really suffered with that today.

God, I still can't believe this result. Here was me worrying about Gael and Fognini.
I'm a native of the D.C. area, and I can say it's probably even more humid here. The summer is known for brutal heat and humidity at times. Still, I would love for him to take a WC here because that would mean I'd have a chance to see him play!

I think he does need hard-court match play, since he is only playing Canada and Cincy before the U.S. Open.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #32
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived at 2.00 pm at the tournament and it was empty. Everything starts late in Umag, today it was again quite hot, so the players came out around 5.00 pm for practise. I met Richard`s dad and he told me that Richard had pracised at noon, I did not expect that. So I only saw a very brief warm-up before the match.

In my view, Richard was playing ok, he did not retreat and was quite aggressive, but the serve was bad, only 46 % throughout the match. I remember at least 3 games in the second set when he did not hit a single frist serve. That was simply not good enough to beat a solid Montanes. I met him very briefly before he left, he will go to Canada on Tuesday, i.e. no Washington.

Conditions were much worse earlier in the day, I do not think that this was a major problem, Richard always sweats a lot and in Umag he is not the only one.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking to myself that asking for a wildcard into Washington might not be a bad idea when I saw the scoreline and your comments .
if 50% humidity in Umag bothered him that badly , then he will really struggle in the US summer season. Only way to learn to handle it is to go out there and play in it .
It is a delicate balance of conditioning and not getting too exhausted before the big hard court Masters / US Open.
But going into those with only one match in 3 weeks is not really good preparation .
I am sure his team has some tough choices to make.

I hope Puschkin got to enjoy some of the tennis , even though Richard lost .
scmom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #34
country flag DBR

DBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
I'm a native of the D.C. area, and I can say it's probably even more humid here.
Yikes - that doesn't sound good. But maybe he doesn't have much choice now but to go for it in Washington. He needs to bag some points and get some match practice in. I guess, looking on the bright side, he's likely to pick up some decent points in Cincy this year (unless he goes very deep in Montreal again.)

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

DBR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

ok - seems Puschkin and I posted almost simultaneously
thanks for the report and hopefully he can work on that serve percentage in Canada !
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
country flag DBR

DBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond reputeDBR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
I met him very briefly before he left, he will go to Canada on Tuesday, i.e. no Washington.

Conditions were much worse earlier in the day, I do not think that this was a major problem, Richard always sweats a lot and in Umag he is not the only one.
Thanks for that Puschkin. He looked very, very sweaty today - it was dripping like rain off of him at changeovers - but glad to hear that maybe wasn't as much of an issue as it looked on TV.

Interesting too that he will still go to straight to Canada. That's a scoop - thanks!

Hope you are ok and still managing to enjoy your trip. Was Piatti there with him? They didn't show any of Richard's team on my coverage.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #37
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was Piatti there with him? They didn't show any of Richard's team on my coverage.
There was only his dad. Grosjean will take over again for the US hard courts, as every year.
With Richard gone, my eyes tomorrow will be on Dolgopolov and I return home on Friday

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
country flag DBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
There was only his dad. Grosjean will take over again for the US hard courts, as every year.
With Richard gone, my eyes tomorrow will be on Dolgopolov and I return home on Friday
Thanks for all your news... hope Bedene-Dolgopolov is a good match tomorrow and that the trip home is ok.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
country flag scmom

curious - it seems Piatti has been absent from the Richard camp for a while now . Any news on a split ?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
country flag CaliGal

CaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond reputeCaliGal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
God, I still can't believe this result. Here was me worrying about Gael and Fognini.
I have a feeling Fognini will do just fine!
CaliGal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #41
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the news Puschkin

Arrgh, so no chance of him playing Washington.

Hopefully he's all ready for Toronto!!

Allez!!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #42
country flag DBR

I don't know how accurate this article is but it claims Richard says he's had a shoulder problem since Wimbledon, which affected him in this match. Would help explain the serving statistics...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/...f-Croatia-Open

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #43
country flag DBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
curious - it seems Piatti has been absent from the Richard camp for a while now . Any news on a split ?
I had been thinking that too. But then I noticed how Piatti has virtually disappeared from twitter since the Stan match in Paris - which was the last time I saw him with Richard. That made me wonder if something might be going on with Piatti, rather than between him and Richard? I hope they will keep working together whatever the reason for his absence.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #44
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Just read those quotes from Richard.

Hopefully he can recover from the shoulder injury ASAP.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #45
country flag yomike

yomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond reputeyomike has a reputation beyond repute

So he has a shoulder injury? That explains losing to his pigeon Montanes who I have never even heard of lately.

Tomas Richard
Stanislas Milos Federico

*Gaston* *Ivan*
*Juan Carlos* *David N.*

yomike is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote