2013 Season - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #76
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Season

Isner Says He's Ready For Busy Summer on Hard Courts : http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Isner-....PsDavcdC.dpuf

Quote:
John Isner is ready for his favorite time of the year as he prepares for the upcoming North American hard court swing starting next week.

By Erik Gudris
John Isner (July 16, 2013) -- For John Isner, it is good to be home.

After a start and stop season punctuated by several injuries, Isner is ready to build some momentum during the upcoming summer hard court season.

Speaking by phone from his home on behalf of the upcoming Citi Open in Washington, D.C., Isner is looking forward to putting his recent health woes behind him, including having to retire in his second round match at Wimbledon.

"It hasn't bothered me too much. I am a bit fortunate that it wasn't really serious," Isner said about the injury that forced him out of Wimbledon. "When it first happened, all I know is that the pain was pretty severe and I was bracing for a pretty bad outcome. But as it turns out everything is structurally fine in my left knee and the issue isn't even my knee. It's a quad issue, a muscle strain, pull or tear at the very top of my kneecap. So it's something I've been working on to get healthy and I feel like I've done a great job so far and look forward to putting it behind me."

Isner, who had a breakthrough run at the 2007 Citi Open, often plays his best tennis during the summer hard court season. Last year, he reached the semis of Toronto and followed up by winning the title in Winston-Salem. Isner again has a busy summer schedule planned with stops in Atlanta, Washington D.C., Montreal, Cincinnati and Winston-Salem.

But as far as this summer goes, Isner is not setting any goals for himself. He just wants to take it one match at a time.

"I haven't set any performance goals. I have had some time off this year, and the injuries I've had haven't been catastrophic and I haven't felt like I've missed a whole lot of of time. But I have missed pretty much two Grand Slams. It is disappointing that my body has let me down at two of the biggest events in tennis. But heading into this summer, my focus is to be 100 percent fit and healthy, which I am getting to, but as far as performance goals I haven't set anything. It's very cliche but I just try to compete at my hardest and try not to beat myself out there, which I feel like I've done a good job of recently. If I stay at a good solid even level out on the court and think things through out there, I know I am a tough out when I am in a good spot like that."

Isner admitted that he often plays his best tennis in the U.S. because of his familiarity with the locales of many of the events that are part of the US Open Series. In fact, the BB&T Atlanta Open is near where he went to college. The Winston-Salem Open is only a short drive away from his hometown in Greensboro, NC. But he realizes that he needs to start playing better overseas if he wants to boost his ranking in the future.

"The surfaces here (in the U.S.) do suit me very well. So I do feel the most relaxed in the States and from that I seem to play my best tennis."

The ongoing conversation about American men's tennis will only intensify as the summer hard court season gets underway. Isner, who burst onto the pro tour after a successful college career, is now at age 28 approaching veteran status in the next few years. Isner does keep tabs on the likes of Ryan Harrison, Rhyne Williams and Denis Kudla to name a few. But when he faces them on the court, he is always looking to win.

"I'm in touch with them and I know where these guys are kind of at. I just saw all three of those guys at Newport last week. I really like all those guys. But when I play against them I want to beat them very badly. I think it's good for them and guys like myself, Sam Querrey, James Blake and Mardy Fish to compete against these younger guys and try to stay ahead of them.

Isner, who recently posed in the buff for the "Body Issue" of ESPN Magazine, expected to get a lot of comments, especially from his fellow American players on the tour.

"The general reaction is that I've gotten a lot of crap from those guys. But I like to think it's because they wish they were in the magazine. But it's all in good fun. Overall I think the reviews have been mostly positive."

The Citi Open will be held from July 27 through Aug. 4 in Washington, D.C.

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #77
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Atlanta, 1st round bye, then C. Harrison/Falla, possibly Blake or Donskoy: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/6116/mds.pdf

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #78
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Will play Hewitt in the semifinal.

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 07-27-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #79
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute

The draw is already out for Washington.

(8)Isner vs. Bye
Q vs. Bogomolov
Q vs. Q
(9)Dolgopolov vs. Bye

Looks like it could be Isner vs. Monfils. Edit: Monfils withdrew

Last edited by RU90 : 07-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.
RU90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #80
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Will play Hewitt in the semifinal.
64 46 76(5) first hardcourt final for John in a long time.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #81
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay John!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #82
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Geez, no one is willing to post the result Congrats to John on the title 67 76 76. I did not watch the match, so no comments.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #83
country flag RU90

RU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond reputeRU90 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Geez, no one is willing to post the result Congrats to John on the title 67 76 76. I did not watch the match, so no comments.
Sick match. This was one of those matches in which Isner was absolutely clutch under pressure. He saved all 11 break points he faced, including two match points (one with a 143 mph ace).

He was happy.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #84
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Big vase.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #85
country flag Sonja1989
A happy person

Sonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond reputeSonja1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Big congratulation to John!

Oh how sweet, after he lost two finals and semifinal on last year, finally he holds the trophy!!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #86
country flag RU90

Quote:
ISNER'S HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

The tennis tours have come to the U.S., and John Isner is surging. That those two events are coinciding is no coincidence: Isner, the 6’10″ American from North Carolina, always has had his best results on home courts.

Isner won his first two matches in Washington, D.C., this week in straight sets to advance to the quarterfinals on Friday, where he beat Marcos Baghdatis in three sets. This run, after winning in Atlanta last week and reaching the semifinal in Newport, R.I., earlier this month, improves Isner’s career record in the U.S. in tour-level matches to 125-59, according to data provided by tennisabstract.com proprietor Jeff Sackmann. His record away from the U.S. is 66-65: striking both because of his far-lower winning percentage away from home and because the vast majority of his wins have come in the U.S., during an era when the vast majority of tournaments are played elsewhere and the balance of power is shifting away from the U.S. every additional day that no American man ranks in the Top 10; Isner is the highest ranked American man, at No. 20.

With one of the weakest returns in the Top 100, Isner has risen in the rankings with his serving prowess and ability to play even better in set-settling tiebreakers. (Tournaments without final-set tiebreakers — all of them outside the U.S. — haven’t treated Isner well.) He does even better in tiebreakers in the U.S. than elsewhere, winning 69% in the U.S. to 60% in other countries. Before Baghdatis won the first set of their match Friday in a tiebreaker, Isner had won his last four tiebreakers. But what really sets apart his U.S. results is his improved ability to avoid tiebreakers by getting a break — often all he needs to win a set — more often. His ratio of return points won to service points lost in the U.S. is 1.06, compared to a career average of 1. And he has won 30.8% of return points in the U.S., compared to 30.1% overall. Those slight differences translate into many more matches won for a man whose serve is broken so rarely: Isner didn’t even face a break point in his wins Thursday and Friday in Washington.

Isner’s preference for home tournaments is also reflected in the dominance of American English on his trophies. Six of his seven career titles and six of his seven runner-up finishes have come in the U.S. All this at a time when just one of the four Grand Slams, three of the nine Masters events a rung below, and one of the 11 500-level events a notch below Masters (this week’s tournament in Washington) are held in the U.S. Though Roland Garros is the last significant tournament in the calendar to be played on clay, many Top 20 players skipped the July North American hard-court season in favor of clay events in Europe, highlighted by two appearances by Roger Federer, in Hamburg and Gstaad, Switzerland.

The stepped-up competition from clay events, and the dwindling competition from fellow Americans, help explain Isner’s success in the U.S. — he’s generally thriving against weaker fields. He was the top seed in Atlanta last week, at No. 22 in the rankings — after the top seed was ranked 11th or better the last three years, according to data provided by Sackmann. The Newport field was significantly weaker than last year’s in just about every measure. Washington’s field is slightly tougher than last year’s but still doesn’t include any top-five players. Just 11 years ago, three of the non-Masters events in the U.S. leading up to the U.S. Open featured top-three players. And just one of Isner’s seven career titles — Winston-Salem last year — came with any Top 10 players in the field.

There are other reasons Isner plays his best tennis in the U.S., including his preference for fast hard courts and his experience playing on them in the heat, from growing up in North Carolina and playing his college tennis at the University of Georgia. And he’s hardly the only recent American to do his best work in the U.S. Mardy Fish, Sam Querrey, James Blake and the retired Andy Roddick each had at least as many titles and runner-up finishes in the U.S. as elsewhere — collectively about two-thirds of that quartet’s titles and finals came in the U.S. And the next generation of American men have played a lot of their tour-level tennis in the U.S. in part because that’s where tournaments are most likely to grant Americans wild cards.

None of this diminishes Isner’s accomplishments — he’s beaten some very good players in the U.S., including Roddick when he was ranked fifth in the world at the 2009 U.S. Open; No. 1 Novak Djokovic at Indian Wells last year; and Top 10ers Jo Wilfried Tsonga and Tomas Berdych in successive matches in third-set tiebreakers at Winston-Salem last year. But it does mean however successful Isner’s American summer ends up being, it’s no guarantee he’ll extend that success when the tour leaves the U.S.: Isner has won just six of his last 20 matches away from the U.S.
http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/0...-us-citi-open/
Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #87
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Isner Clinches Washington Final Berth With Win Over Tursunov

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-Tursunov.aspx

Quote:

For the second consecutive match, John Isner was forced to rally after dropping an opening-set tie-break, powering into the Citi Open final with a 6-7(7), 6-3, 6-4 victory over Dmitry Tursunov. Isner extended his winning streak to eight matches, having won the BB&T Atlanta Open title last week, and remains firmly on top of the Emirates Airline US Open Series.

The match was halted for more than an hour due to rain, with Tursunov facing a break point down 1-2 30/40 in the second set. The 6' 10" American broke immediately out of the delay and cruised from there, grabbing the early break in the third set to seal the victory. Isner improved to 11-1 since retiring from the second round at Wimbledon with a left-knee injury.

Isner fired 29 aces, including six straight in his last two service games to close out the match. He has not faced a break point since the second round, when he relinquished his lone break of the tournament to fellow American Alex Kuznetsov. The eighth seed faces the winner of two-time champion and top seed Juan Martin del Potro and 2012 finalist Tommy Haas in Sunday’s final. The last time an American reached the final here was in 2009 when Andy Roddick fell to del Potro.

For Tursunov, it was his second semi-final defeat of 2013. The 30-year-old Russian, who was looking to become the 17th different player over the age of 30 to reach an ATP final this year, was unable to rediscover his match rhythm following the stoppage. He passed the 200-match-victory milestone with his third-round win over Radek Stepanek on Thursday.

Isner will be competing in his 15th career final on the ATP World Tour, with 10 of those coming on hard courts. The North Carolina native was the runner-up in Washington 2007 (l. to Roddick), in his first tour-level final. It will be Isner’s 11th consecutive final on U.S. soil and third of 2013. He won the title in Houston on clay, in April, in addition to last week’s triumph in Atlanta.

Should Isner meet del Potro in the final, it will be their fourth encounter, with the Argentine winning all six sets played. Level at three wins apiece, however, the FedEx ATP Head2Head against Haas isn’t as one-sided. Their last meeting was a five-set thriller at Roland Garros, won by the German veteran 10-8 in the final set.

If Isner wins the Washington title, he will return to the Top 15 in the Emirates ATP Rankings.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #88
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Up a break in the 3rd and blew it.

Apparently it is too much to ask to put away the likes of Pospisil when in the lead at this point.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #89
country flag RU90

Remember that John has played a lot of tennis lately. That being said, I don't think he's ever blown two 4-2 leads in tiebreakers AND a break lead in the final set in his career.

Get some rest, Big John.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #90
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h

A very solid win by John Isner, beating No9 Richard Gasquet 7-6(6), 6-2. Been a big summer for John, somewhat quietly. #cincytennis
I think John should consider skipping WS if he goes deep in Cincy. I know it is his home tournament, but he will be better rested for the USO.

Rhyne's Picture Thread