Russia to arrest openly gay tourists. - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #61
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Russia to arrest openly gay tourists.

I see topspintrollor is not only trolling in general messages...
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #62
country flag Vanity

Vanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond reputeVanity has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason this is a stupid decision by Russia - it's a well known fact that gays on average make way more money than straights. Wouldn't you want them to come to your country and throw some of their money around? Oh and you just gotta love the old "we're only trying to protect the children" excuse... as if all gays are pedophiles.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #63
country flag Nunyabeezwax

Nunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
I see topspintrollor is not only trolling in general messages...
He just has so much to say.

Nunyabeezwax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #64
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Russia Says It Will Arrest Openly Gay Tourists

Thinking of taking a vacation to Europe this summer? If a trip to iconic city of Moscow or the edgier St. Petersburg is on your bucket list, an anti-gay law recently passed in Russia may have you thinking again. It is now outlawed to be ‘out and proud.’
Why would any gay tourist want to visit Russia is beyond me. Even without that law they are far from a gay-friendly place, almost every year there's some violence happening.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #65
country flag Fed fordawin

Fed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond reputeFed fordawin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Obviously. So are other countries like China. Doesn't mean they are not super powers.
They're not a super power. Super power means a dominant place in economy, military, culture, diplomacy etc...

Only very few countries have been superpowers... Spain in the 16th century, France in the 18th, UK in the 19th, and nowadays probably only the US are.

Soviet Russia might have been a superpower, but it's certainly not the case anymore.

Alchimists transform iron into gold. Boriiiiiing!
Movie-makers transform dreams into reality. Yeah, whatever...
El Tio transforms Dull into a multiple GS champion! Daaaaamn!

El Tio has the keys to weather, court speed, draw making, umpires' decisions and perception of time between points, top players' fatherhood, and my libido!

This signature is in no way ironic. Please don't ever let El Tio think that, for my sake!

Last edited by Fed fordawin : 07-12-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Fed fordawin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #66
country flag Tzar

Tzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Why would any gay tourist want to visit Russia is beyond me. Even without that law they are far from a gay-friendly place, almost every year there's some violence happening.
I went 2 Russia two years ago. My best friend from college is Russian and we went there for a Month to visit her family. The country is beautiful and there is a lot to be seen, and a lot to learn about. I am an openly HOMOSEXUAL male, and personally, although I understand your point of view, I have to disagree. The violence that takes place in the country is not related in its majority to homosexuals.

Also, I completely understand that Russia is backwards in many different social issues, but like in most countries, the younger generations seem to have different attitudes and values towards homosexuals. My friend and I used to go out about 3/4 nights a week, and I met numerous (+20) people who thought it was awesome that I was "out and proud". Granted most of them were young and spoke a certain degree of english which I guess could say something about their socioeconomic level which is directly correlated with how influenced they have been by the west but still. Also, I think it is worth noting that I spent most of my days in the south of russia, thousands of KMs away from Moscow/St Pete.

PS. That troll topspin poster whatever your name: I don't know you, but I know I hate you.

TennisTipping - 2011 COMEBACK.
Doubles: 15.
W: Los Angeles 09', Kuala Lumpur 09', Basel 09', Houston 10', Memphis 11', Belgrade 11'
Tzar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #67
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
I went 2 Russia two years ago. My best friend from college is Russian and we went there for a Month to visit her family. The country is beautiful and there is a lot to be seen, and a lot to learn about. I am an openly HOMOSEXUAL male, and personally, although I understand your point of view, I have to disagree. The violence that takes place in the country is not related in its majority to homosexuals.
so is it safe there for gay ppl or not? would u walk with ur bf?

p.s no one Argues about the countries beauty
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #68
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've never said nor claimed the violence is in it's majority related to homosexuals, however there are definitely multiple reports of violence towards gay people. I'm glad to hear your visit was trouble-free, however as a saying in my language goes "for an accident once is enough"; if a gay person close to me would decide to visit there, I couldn't support or recommend that, there are other countries too worth seeing

Besides, if there's one "positive" thing about this law is that it serves as a warning, there's hardly anything that could more obviously say "don't come it's not safe" than this.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”

Last edited by Time Violation : 07-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #69
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was gonna ask the same question.

Russia is a totally fucked-up country, almost a failed state moving backwards to feudalism and medieval beliefs and it's all getting worse day by day. Moscow is a bit different place but not by much.
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #70
country flag Tzar

Tzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond reputeTzar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
so is it safe there for gay ppl or not? would u walk with ur bf?

p.s no one Argues about the countries beauty
The poster that I quoted was asking why would any gay person travel to Russia, and that was my response: because of the beauty and the culture of the nation.

Is it safe for gay people, I would say as safe as for anyone else. Would I walk with my boyfriend holding hands, probably not, but then again I don't think there is one place on earth where you could feel 100% because no matter where you are (Paris, Gay Lauderdale, WeHo) someone will always do a double take.

Quote:
I've never said nor claimed the violence is in it's majority related to homosexuals, however there are definitely multiple reports of violence towards gay people. I'm glad to hear your visit was trouble-free, however as a saying in my language goes "for an accident once is enough"; if a gay person close to me would decide to visit there, I couldn't support or recommend that, there are other countries too worth seeing

Besides, if there's one "positive" thing about this law is that it serves as a warning, there's hardly anything that could more obviously say "don't come it's not safe" than this.
I understand your point but there are hate crimes everywhere, against some religious groups, ethnicities and of course sexual orientation. I can pin point at least 10 anti-gay incidents in the U.S this past 6 months, so I believe it could happen anywhere.

I don't think theres a silver lining in this policy, and although it does not represent the sentiment of the entire nation, it does express the concern of a certain majority.

W: Los Angeles 09', Kuala Lumpur 09', Basel 09', Houston 10', Memphis 11', Belgrade 11'
Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #71
Slacker

Quote:
Is it safe for gay people, I would say as safe as for anyone else. Would I walk with my boyfriend holding hands, probably not, but then again I don't think there is one place on earth where you could feel 100% because no matter where you are (Paris, Gay Lauderdale, WeHo) someone will always do a double take.
By all means nowhere is 100% safe, however there is a difference between ~80% and ~5%; some risks are just not worth taking. Of course, anyone should decide for himself/herself what's the best
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #72
country flag Tzar

Quote:
By all means nowhere is 100% safe, however there is a difference between ~80% and ~5%; some risks are just not worth taking. Of course, anyone should decide for himself/herself what's the best
I see your point, violence is not the same everywhere, with that being said I think the rate for hate crimes is similar than just violence in general. I believe most crimes are committed out of necessity or personal problems, not because of discrimination. I don't know if you understand what I am trying to say haha.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #73

Nunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond reputeNunyabeezwax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

PS. That troll topspin poster whatever your name: I don't know you, but I know I hate you.

Now I have a variation on that old Aaron Neville song stuck in my head.

"I don't know much, but I know I hate you, let that beee..... all I need to knowwwwwwwwww"

Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #74

Tzar is right, everywhere you go people will be surprised to see two men or two women holding hands (except Iran and its neighbors ironically enough.) I live in Portland, probably the most liberal city in the US, and my fiance and I still get looks. However, the difference being the mere ACT of holding hands is not considered an affront to the law. That's what's most frightening. "Promoting the homosexual lifestyle" can mean, literally, anything. Two men just looking at each other fondly can be a homosexual act with a definition like that.

Even if the youth of Russia are desensitized and accepting of gays and lesbians it's not the youth of Russia that is in charge of the government and police force. Youth acceptance doesn't pay your fines or get you out of jail.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #75
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Try reading something other than CNN if you want a more balanced view regarding the world powers of today Don't be a victim of yank brainwashing.
i think the last time i watched CNN was 5 years ago?

i said what i said bc i have a small family there and in Ukraine

I gave my opinion i did not statement of fact.

do you Russia does not have extreme corruption that prevents the state to move forward?
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote