Davis Cup - Page 50 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #736
country flag justafanYYC

justafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond reputejustafanYYC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by petert View Post
The most annoyoing thing about this is that Serbia has the same uniform colours as Canada and if I have to watch those low quality web streams its going to be bad.

Seriously there is nothing bad about this.
If I were Canada I'd wear white. We need home and away uniforms!

Or wear black just to mess up the Serbs.
2013 CH Yeongwol (outdoor hard)
2011 CH Samarkand (outdoor clay)

Doubles: 45
Championships:
2013 Masters 1000 Montreal (w/joe87) (outdoor hard)
2014 ATP 250 Casablanca (w/joe87) (outdoor clay)
2012 Special Olympic Tournament London (w/traddles) (outdoor grass)
justafanYYC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #737
country flag AnotherGameFor

AnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherGameFor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafanYYC View Post
If I were Canada I'd wear white. We need home and away uniforms!

Or wear black just to mess up the Serbs.
I sure hope its not both sides wearing red uniforms playing on red clay, will be torture even in HD!

Speaking of red clay, is it guaranteed that Serbia will select clay? Djokovic is good on any surface, so I suspect that they would want a surface which is as bad for Milos as possible. While clay is a decent answer, I don't think it is Milos worst surface, which I would actually say is a slow, low bouncing hardcourt which is affected by wind. So will the Serbs choose the clay for sure, or may they try something else?
AnotherGameFor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #738
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Serbia chose indoor Clay vs US in 2010 with Isner and Querrey so it's very likely another indoor clay.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #739
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

The draw for the World Group playoffs just came out. It feels weird that I’m not checking to see who Canada is playing. Columbia versus Japan should be interesting.

People keep saying that Canada made the semifinals in 1913. I don’t think that’s quite right. Under the Challenge Round system, the winner of the tournament played the previous year’s champion to determine the new champion. In 1913, the US beat Canada in the final and then beat Great Britain in the challenge round. I know calling Canada the finalist is misleading because it suggests they were in the final two, but calling them semi-finalists is not right either.

I can’t believe the challenge round lasted until 1971. I’m glad they abolished it, though maybe it would make sense to give the two finalists a bye in the first round of the following year.
Brad1973 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #740
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute

It is interesting the challenge round lasted that long - had no idea. I don't think that the 1913 achievement,call it a semi-final or something else, is anywhere near this one where the game's gone so global. Even with Raonic, he's not cracked the top 13 yet.

We've had an incredibly good draw, true, but I think we have a 30, 35% chance of winning away to Serbia. I can see Vasek getting into the top 70 or so while Tipsarevic may be on a permanent, though gradual, decline. If Nestor can keep his form - curious to see how he'll do in doubles on clay this year. I do think you try to play Jesse (or maybe Frank) on the first day and save Vasek for the doubles and last day singles.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #741
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond reputeBrad1973 has a reputation beyond repute

Raonic throws me for a loop by beating Nestor in doubles in Monte Carlo, but I still think it's better to save Raonic for singles and have Nestor and Pospisil play doubles. With Tipsarevic and Troicki currently struggling, the fifth match is shaping up to be pretty interesting. I would pick Pospisil over Levine and Dancevic as the second singles player.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #742
country flag petert

petert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond reputepetert has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, it's pretty funny that we're all watching matches and dreaming of a scenario where we could win this. And it's scary that the dominoes all falling doesn't seem impossible.

Danny and Linstedt beat Nenad and Almagro today. Danny's at an age where I don't think he can be consistent for 2 weeks and win a slam but we just need one good day. If he's healthy and playing decent, I think it's 65-70% we'll be up 2:1 going into the third day.

I was reading through that old Canadian Players thread. I wish we could go back a few years in time and make them laugh by telling them that most of us are 95% sure that a Canadian Player will face the World #1 in a live rubber on Sunday of the Davis Cup semi-finals.
petert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #743
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petert View Post
Hehe, it's pretty funny that we're all watching matches and dreaming of a scenario where we could win this. And it's scary that the dominoes all falling doesn't seem impossible.

Danny and Linstedt beat Nenad and Almagro today. Danny's at an age where I don't think he can be consistent for 2 weeks and win a slam but we just need one good day. If he's healthy and playing decent, I think it's 65-70% we'll be up 2:1 going into the third day.

I was reading through that old Canadian Players thread. I wish we could go back a few years in time and make them laugh by telling them that most of us are 95% sure that a Canadian Player will face the World #1 in a live rubber on Sunday of the Davis Cup semi-finals.
I know, the change in Canadian tennis since I have been here has been massive.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #744
country flag Brad1973

Nestor plays Zimonjic tomorrow two months ahead of their Davis Cup match. Pospisil has solidified his place as Nestor's Davis Cup doubles partner by having a good doubles run at Wimbledon. I wonder if Serbia will use Bozoljac again. He's never done anything except beat the Bryans in Davis Cup in April.

Pospisil has also solidified his place as the second singles player. It's a pity he fell just short against Zeballos and Youzhny, but someday a breakthrough will come (in the fifth match in Belgrade?). He's playing about as well as Tipsarevic and Troicki, even on clay.

I wonder if Laurendeau will put someone else against Djokovic on Friday to save Pospisil from having to play three matches. Dancevic's win against Granollers in February seems like a distant memory.

Last edited by Brad1973 : 07-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #745
country flag mayumashu

mayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond reputemayumashu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1973 View Post
Nestor plays Zimonjic tomorrow two months ahead of their Davis Cup match. Pospisil has solidified his place as Nestor's Davis Cup doubles partner by having a good doubles run at Wimbledon. I wonder if Serbia will use Bozoljac again. He's never done anything except beat the Bryans in Davis Cup in April.

Pospisil has also solidified his place as the second singles player. It's a pity he fell just short against Zeballos and Youzhny, but someday a breakthrough will come (in the fifth match in Belgrade?). He's playing about as well as Tipsarevic and Troicki, even on clay.

I wonder if Laurendeau will put someone else against Djokovic on Friday to save Pospisil from having to play three matches. Dancevic's win against Granollers in February seems like a distant memory.

I agree with everything said. As it stands, it's Jesse solidly over Frank or Peter for the No. 4 spot, and I agree that having him play Friday against Joker would be the thing to do.

Last edited by mayumashu : 07-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
mayumashu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #746
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Pospisil and Levine might be the new DC dubs team, if not right away then soon.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Janowicz, Kohlschreiber, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #747
country flag king10

king10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond repute

Troicki suspended 18 months for failing to provide a blood sample. My goodness, with jankos form this could be the perfect storm for canada. A lot of things have gone our way with the spain absentees and drawing italy at home in the quarters.

Last edited by king10 : 07-25-2013 at 11:29 PM.
king10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #748
Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Troicki suspended 18 months for failing to provide a blood sample. My goodness, with jankos form this could be the perfect storm for canada. A lot of things have gone our way with the spain absentees and drawing italy at home in the quarters.
Interesting news today for sure.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #749
country flag Mr.Prysse.

Mr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Prysse. has a reputation beyond repute

Tipsarevic is slumping hard.
Canada went from having the most brutal draw to one of the "easiest" possible.

Good luck, guys!
Mr.Prysse. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #750
country flag king10

king10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond reputeking10 has a reputation beyond repute

the cezch's named their team yesterday and it had 5 players. is that the norm for semi finals? i thought it was still 4 players. if we are able to name 5 there is pretty much no debate as to who they will be. who play's is a whole different story though

also of interest to note is that tipsarevic was not named to the team in the round of 16 or the quarters this year, does anybody know why? form? injury? sitting out?

Last edited by king10 : 07-26-2013 at 03:57 AM.
king10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote