Political Discussion Thread - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #181
country flag QueenD

QueenD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2013 Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey247 View Post

I don't think he's a card-carrying homophobe, or that he genuinely believes "gay propaganda" can affect a young person's sexual orientation, but he's certainly shown he's prepared to play the political game. I can only hope his more enlightened friends have been challenging him at every opportunity.
If I may add a thought to this topic that I think can be important to our understanding: Marat IS muslim, he's counting big time on the muslim community in Mother Russia in his political future...it would have made very little sense and very many angry people over there to vote against that rule. Anyways, I'm not saying it's a righteous rule, I'm just saying this is where I believe he comes from, cuz he's certainly NOT a homophobic bloke! Politics are what they are, you're either in or you're not...

Last edited by monkey247 : 06-29-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: photo re-post
QueenD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #182
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
If I may add a thought to this topic that I think can be important to our understanding: Marat IS muslim, he's counting big time on the muslim community in Mother Russia in his political future...it would have made very little sense and very many angry people over there to vote against that rule. Anyways, I'm not saying it's a righteous rule, I'm just saying this is where I believe he comes from, cuz he's certainly NOT a homophobic bloke! Politics are what they are, you're either in or you're not...
Marat's voting has nothing to do with being muslim or russian muslim comminity. Not a single person dared to vote against this law and certainly Marat wouldn't have chosen LGBT issue to go against the system. And btw even though homophobia has become a new national idea in Russia, muslims actually seem to be less vocal than others.

Last edited by mer : 06-29-2013 at 12:34 PM.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #183
country flag Soozka

Soozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Whether he is actually a homophobe or just a liar has really nothing to do with anything.

He is prepared to participate in making laws which make the lives of gays and lesbians far more difficult and far less safe.

If he looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . . . . then he's a duck.
Soozka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #184
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soozka View Post
He is prepared to participate in making laws which make the lives of gays and lesbians far more difficult and far less safe.
how about participating in making laws which deprives lots of orphans of a chance to live a long and normal life and sentence them instead to a hell and death in loony bins and houses for elderly people.

Anyway, I still believe Marat is a decent man and I believe there are other decent men in Duma. Unfortunately, in times like that decency is not enough. To make a stand they would need courage and need to be ready to sacrifice their carriers and well being.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #185
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, Ira and Soozka....voting for this legislation AGAINST what we hope are his true feelings and \ or beliefs only makes him the worst kind of hipocrite...even sacrificing his career and personal standing would not be enough...I am sure he is not totally unaware of where dissent from the party line might land him....and I don't think there are too many posh restaurants and nightclubs or 'beauty pageants' to judge in the siberean gulag.....I know he went into e thing with the idea of being able to 'help' a lot rather then the few....but frankly I would rather he got out asap and just did his little projects with the odd tennis player or wheelchair bound child artist than continue to push buttons for putin.......I still dont know how he can look Sveta in the eye....but maybe he is such a part of the elite that he just can't see that its one law for them and another for the proles...:-(
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #186
country flag Soozka

Soozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond reputeSoozka has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I'd add is that he knew what the deal was before he stood for election.

He knew what Putin was like. He knew that when he stood with Putin's endorsement he would be expected to support whatever Putin said and did.

When there was the first talk about his standing for election, I thought he'd have difficulty toeing the party line. But, in the event, I was wrong.

He has shown that he has no difficulty whatsoever in doing whatever Putin wants him to do - no matter how much misery that causes to other people.

It's not as though he didn't know that this was what would be expected of him. And, nevertheless, he stood for election.
Soozka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #187
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soozka View Post
The only thing I'd add is that he knew what the deal was before he stood for election.
He didn't know. When he decided to take the offer I personally couldn't even imagine how things would change in the next 1.5 years. Back then situation was more or less tolerable. I don't remember any really atrocious law. Since then it's started to turn to the worst way too fast. I don't think many people really expected this turn.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #188
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
I am sure he is not totally unaware of where dissent from the party line might land him....and I don't think there are too many posh restaurants and nightclubs or 'beauty pageants' to judge in the siberean gulag.....
lol His fate would't be that dramatic. They would try to reason with him first - threats and bribes of some kind. Then, if he stood his ground they would start a small (he's not that prominent) smear campaign, finding some dirty laundry, both real and fake. If he has any business he would have to close it due to tax or maybe criminal investigations. In the end I think he would leave Russia and move to Europe.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #189
country flag inez

inez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond reputeinez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer View Post
lol His fate would't be that dramatic. They would try to reason with him first - threats and bribes of some kind. Then, if he stood his ground they would start a small (he's not that prominent) smear campaign, finding some dirty laundry, both real and fake. If he has any business he would have to close it due to tax or maybe criminal investigations. In the end I think he would leave Russia and move to Europe.
........i know, I know dear....I just think maybe a stint in a cell with one of the girls from Pussy Riot would do him some good....but maybe not.....his relative lack of profile and occupation with relatively low-key NN projects is what will hopefully see him through his term unscathed and hopefully able to get out of the mess he's in now - sadly, I think his dream of being able to help people politically has died...the last few appearances - in terms of the photos anyway (only a fractional glimpse of what is going on with him, obviously) ... I dunno....the 'atmosphere' of them looks more like his immediately post-retirement...beauty pagents, nightclubs.... and no sign of Anna... but hanging with his tennispeople again - SASHA!! - Zhenya.. Dennis, Irakli...they have all been conspicuous by their absence in recent times......maybe its just me but it seems like something's changed...then again - I guess I must be close to a hopeless optimist when it comes to MArat...

Last edited by inez : 07-03-2013 at 12:57 AM.
inez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #190
country flag mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post
his relative lack of profile and occupation with relatively low-key NN projects is what will hopefully see him through his term unscathed
I'm not sure. As I said things are changing too fast. Not so long ago it was enough for a loyalist to just keep silent about injustice happening around, now people are being pushed to take part in it. You have to make a choice - you are either with the system or you against it, no neutral ground left for someone who's in public eye.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #191
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

... Best case scenario I guess is the girls released in spring on probation. One thing for sure- they will be released before winter Olympics 2014.
As you predicted, mer. Via The Guardian.

Quote:

Pussy Riot members and Arctic 30 protesters set to walk free

Russia passes amnesty law with amendment extending scope to include those arrested on Greenpeace ship

Shaun Walker in Moscow
theguardian.com, Wednesday 18 December 2013 13.21 GMT

Maria Alyokhina (left) and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, who could be released as early as
Thursday if the amnesty law is passed. Photograph: Maxim Shipenkov/EPA

The Greenpeace Arctic 30 could be home for Christmas, and the two jailed members of the punk group Pussy Riot will be released from jail as early as Thursday, after a wide-ranging amnesty law was passed by the Russian parliament on Wednesday. The Pussy Riot pair are serving a two-year jail sentence, while the Greenpeace activists are charged with hooliganism and are currently on bail for trial in St Petersburg.

The amnesty, backed by Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, is timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Russia's constitution, and is being seen as a move to boost Russia's image ahead of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, due to start in less than two months. An amendment to the amnesty law on Wednesday morning extended the amnesty to suspects in cases of hooliganism, which includes the Arctic 30, arrested aboard the Greenpeace ship the Arctic Sunrise in September. The Greenpeace activists expressed relief, though Arctic Sunrise captain Peter Willcox said: "There is no amnesty for the Arctic."

He added: "I might soon be going home to my family, but I should never have been charged and jailed in the first place.

The Duma, Russia's parliament, voted 446-0 in favour of the bill in its third and final reading on Wednesday. The amnesty mainly concerns first-time offenders, minors and women with small children. Once it is signed by Putin and printed in the state newspaper, Rossiiskaya Gazeta, it will then become law.

Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, of the punk-group Pussy Riot, are serving two-year sentences for staging an impromptu punk performance in Moscow's main cathedral early last year.

Petya Verzilov, Tolokonnikova's husband, said he believed an order had been given to speed up the process. Although technically releases could take up to six months to be processed from the day the law is published, officials at both prisons have indicated they are ready to release the Pussy Riot duo as soon as the law is passed, he said. Verzilov indicated he expected them to be released as soon as Thursday.

Alyokhina is serving her time in a prison in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, while Tokolonnikova was recently moved from Mordovia, a region known for its Soviet-era gulags, to the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk. She has said that the conditions are incomparably better than in Mordovia, from where she published a long open letter detailing slave-like conditions of forced labour and cruel punishments.

"They are slightly sceptical of course," Verzilov told the Guardian. "When you're living in these conditions it's hard to think about the Duma passing some bill, and it seems like it could never happen, so it's a big surprise for them that it does actually seem to be happening."

The amnesty will not cover Russia's former richest man, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, who has been found guilty of economic crimes at two separate trials, neither would it include most of the people on trial for disturbances at a rally the day before Putin was inaugurated last year.

Tolokonnikova and Alyokhina, who were both sentenced to two years in jail last summer, were due to be released in early March, as their sentence included time served since their arrest. A third member of the group, Ekaterina Samutsevich, was freed on appeal shortly after the trial concluded.

Verzilov said that on their release, the pair plan to launch a major new project related to the Russian prison system, though he declined to give details for now.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #192
country flag mer

Quote:
As you predicted, mer. Via The Guardian.
I'm happy for Masha and Nadya and for Greenpeace people. Convenient opportunity for russia to close Greenpeace case. If it went to court it would be really really ugly - I wonder what evidence that would fabricate trying to prove that a doctor and a cook and most of the others were guilty of hooliganism when they never even left the ship in international waters.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #193
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If it went to court it would be really really ugly - I wonder what evidence that would fabricate trying to prove that a doctor and a cook and most of the others were guilty of hooliganism when they never even left the ship in international waters.
Quite. I can't see how even the most scheming, serpentine legal brain could pull that one off. Much easier to sweep it all aside with an amnesty, even if it's a laughably transparent pre-Olympics PR move.

Well, let's see how Putin fares in Sochi. I cannot wait to see the photo-ops with him and Billie Jean.

Quote:

Obama names Billie Jean King as one of two gay Sochi Olympic delegates

Appointment of tennis great alongside hockey star Caitlin Cahow is equality message to Russia, which has enacted anti-gay laws

Associated Press in New York and Washington
theguardian.com, Wednesday 18 December 2013 03.52 GMT

Billie Jean King said she was 'proud to stand with the members of the LGBT community'
after accepting the role of delegate to the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Photograph: Jason DeCrow/AP

Barack Obama is sending Russia a clear message about its treatment of gays and lesbians with his choices to represent the United States as delegates at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The tennis great Billie Jean King will be one of two openly gay athletes in the US delegation for the opening and closing ceremonies. For the first time since 2000 the US will not send a president, former president, first lady or vice-president to the games.

Russia has come under fierce criticism for passing national laws banning "gay propaganda". Though the White House did not specifically address the Russian laws in making its announcement on Tuesday, spokesman Shin Inouye said the delegation "represents the diversity that is the United States" and that Obama "knows they will showcase to the world the best of America diversity, determination and teamwork".

The White House said Obama's schedule would not permit him to attend the games.

Rest of article here
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #194
country flag mer

Quote:
Well, let's see how Putin fares in Sochi. I cannot wait to see the photo-ops with him and Billie Jean.
Will they have to meet according to protocol?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #195
country flag monkey247

Quote:
Will they have to meet according to protocol?
I've no idea, but I hope so! The caption possibilities are endless. I'm hoping Billie Jean will post some pics on Twitter.