2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! - Page 97 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #1441
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Grass Season, Allez!

Well, the inevitable.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #1442
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting really disappointing to keep seeing Gilles wait until he's in too big of a hole to actually start playing some decent tennis. If he would've just started playing like that in the first set, even after the atrocious first game he played where he basically gifted the first game of the set, he still would've fared better in the match overall because he would've made Lopez have to work harder and he would've started getting tired and missing more first serves as well as get tighter himself as the match whore on, but as usual, it was too little too late for that after going down two whole sets first. He's just got to change that bad habit. He's got to get himself more fired up for matches early on consistently. Can't afford that much of a gift lead to your opponent before you finally wake up and find your groove. By then, nine times out of ten against the better players, it's a case of too little too late.

Rest up, get over what's left of your niggling chest cold, put this detour out of your mind and get back on the momentum train he had coming off of the French Open and Eastbourne.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #1443
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

The first time he lost in R1 in many many years, that's the only thing that I'm sad about. Other than that, Lopez was favorite to win anyway. And I think Gilles did pull sth on his left leg at the end, so losing that TB at the end is inevitable too.

Now he has 3 weeks to rest and get prepare. I'm surprised he signed up for Hamburg. But anyway, we'll see what happen next.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1444
country flag lalaland

36 of 56 net point won, he came to the net 12 more times than Lopez. 40W 26 UEs, that's a good stat in a losing effort. If there's stat for how many times he S&V, I think he's close to Lopez'. Granted, Lopez won half of his points by the serve already, no need to come to the net.

Okay, so he lost, and he didn't play well at all until like half way into the 2nd set, but after that, he made good adjustments, up his game significantly and tried really hard, we need to give him that.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1445
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute

Neck injury again according to Carole Bouchard twitter...
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #1446
country flag lalaland

So the commentators' speculation was right, sorta, since they thought it's back injury, but neck is close enough, that explained the tentativeness in his serves at the beginning until he really warmed up an hour later into the match. But anyway, that's too bad. The naysayers' going to be on him again for having another injury, or injury excuse as they would assume. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #1447
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he looked stiff as hell on court today! so he couldn't serve properly at least in the first 2 sets.
He has back/neck problems which can appear at any moment because of vertebral anomalies as they said in L'equipe.
But even without the injury, i don't think he would have won because Flopez was too solid on serve anyway.

Last edited by Casp83 : 07-16-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #1448
country flag lalaland

I wasn't saying that I thought it's an excuse, I was saying that the naysayers are going to assume that's an excuse.
I thought his serves were very tentative for the 1.5 set, no speed and not much directions, it's like he's just trying to put the ball in play. Not until he got to like 4-5 games of the 2nd set that he started serving with some intent, so he finally got warmed up enough by then. I've seen those serves before, he served like that when he had those physical issues. He was serving well last week, so I noticed the difference.

Last edited by lalaland : 06-25-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #1449

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

Aw man. So Gilles had more of his wake up with pain stuff going on again today? This wasn't bothering him in 2008/2009 when he surged all the way up to 6 in the world. He was pretty healthy nonstop. I know he got patella tendonitis later but this other stuff wasn't the issue that it's become now. I don't know. If this is how it's going to be with his back/neck issues from here on out then I don't hold out much hope for him being able to get back into the top 15-10 range because you need good results consistently and to be healthy for longer stretches of time.

In the tweet it says something about him having problems with it over 11 times by this point in the year last year and he's only had issues with it 3 times so far this year which is better but still. His body just doesn't seem to hold up over the long haul consistently anymore.

If it actually gets helped by him warming up and getting more movement, then perhaps he should be more aggressively warming up before his matches on days when he feels the pain and knows it's going to be an issue so he doesn't have to give up most the match before he can actually start playing more to his level. He realistically only had one good set worth of tennis to work with today against Lopez and by that time it was too late.

Remember how Tsonga said in an interview that Gilles likes to sleep on the couch in the player's lounge as late as and hour before he's scheduled to go on court and how they think that is contributing to his slow starting? Maybe he should start warming himself up sooner so he's ready or near ready to go, especially on days when he's feeling the pain more on those days. I still think Gilles has a whole lot of improvement he could make just in how he goes about his preparation for a match these days. A little more discipline perhaps. I don't know, but it really bums me out when it always comes back to his body letting him down like this. Makes me fear that he won't continue to play as long as I'm hoping he will before he finally decides to hang it up.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #1450
country flag soulage

soulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond reputesoulage has a reputation beyond repute

Neck problem as usual

Quote:
« Je suis content… y a du progrès »

GILLES SIMON, de nouveau handicapé par des douleurs aux cervicales, relativisait, avec une bonne dose d’humour, sa défaite contre Feliciano Lopez.

LONDRES –de notre envoyé spécial

« VOUS SEMBLIEZ assez diminué, qu’en est-il ?
– Mes douleurs aux cervicales se sont réveillées lundi matin, j’ai fait tout ce que je pouvais, soins, long échauffement, pour les faire passer, mais pour rien. Le positif, c’est que j’étais suffisamment relâché pour livrer un combat honnête sur le court. Mais c’était sans espoir. Sachant que je ne pouvais retourner et que la meilleure arme de Lopez est le service, c’était perdu d’avance. C’est pour ça que je suis assez content de mon match. (Il n’avait plus perdu d’entrée en Grand Chelem depuis Roland-Garros 2008).

Vous êtes bien serein…
– Aujourd’hui oui, car j’ai eu quarante-huit heures pour me faire une raison, mais si vous m’aviez vu hier j’étais vraiment furieux.

Pourtant vous avez eu six balles de set dans le tie-break de la troisième manche…
– Mais c’était déjà fini (grand sourire). À partir du moment où je ne pouvais pas le breaker et que j’étais mené deux sets à rien c’était plié, puisqu’il n’y a pas de tie-break dans le cinquième ! (re-sourire). Il n’y avait aucune chance que je puisse gagner ce match contre un adversaire aussi fort.

Cela ne vous fatigue pas à la longue ?
– Si, bien sûr, mais je me dis qu’il y a du progrès. En 2011 je me suis bloqué onze fois le cou, et cette année c’est juste la troisième fois ! En plus, je mettais alors une semaine à m’en remettre, alors que maintenant il me suffit de quatre jours ! Vous voyez… » Ph. M.
soulage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #1451
country flag lalaland

Thanks Soulage, for the clip.

And back to Wimby, what's happening today? Stakhovsky deserves his porsche today . However, I'm also feeling a little bitter too, why couldn't Gilles finished Fed off in RG . Oh well. He just better do sth like that next time when he plays the big gun.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #1452

It was indeed a crazy day at Wimbledon. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this. So many walkovers, retirements, and major upsets. I mean both Federer and Nadal out by the 2nd round of a major and at Wimbledon no less. And in Federer's case it is the first time in ages he's been knocked out before the quarterfinals after having made it 36 consecutive times prior. Just an unbelievable day that was exciting for fans but not so much for tournament officials who may feel the repercussions in ticket sales as a result, although Andy Murray is still in it...for now anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1453
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Why couldn't Gilles have been the one to end Fed's streak Rough Wimbledon for me, most of my favorites are out. Good to see Gilles in decent spirits, I think he likes what the new coaching team is bringing to his game. It's too bad that his neck didn't cooperate but I think there was some progress in the last few weeks.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #1454
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
It was indeed a crazy day at Wimbledon. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this. So many walkovers, retirements, and major upsets. I mean both Federer and Nadal out by the 2nd round of a major and at Wimbledon no less. And in Federer's case it is the first time in ages he's been knocked out before the quarterfinals after having made it 36 consecutive times prior. Just an unbelievable day that was exciting for fans but not so much for tournament officials who may feel the repercussions in ticket sales as a result, although Andy Murray is still in it...for now anyway.
Apparently 7 former number ones from the ATP/WTA took the court today and all lost, crazy. I'll be on vacation next week so I'll miss most of the end of the tournament anyway so I guess I'm happy all the excitement is happening now.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #1455
country flag Gilloulou

Gilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond reputeGilloulou has a reputation beyond repute

A local commentator here just said that David Ferrer smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, and still stays this fit. Hilarious, first time is like Ferrer. So maybe Gilles is also a smoker, would be funny if true

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Gilloulou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote